Question

unable receiving calls from China

• 3 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

My plan is to go with 5G Plus while I'm traveling in China. My phone is an iPhone 12 Pro. I can send and receive messages, and make calls to a US number. However, I can't receive calls from a US number. When my friends call me, it goes directly to voicemail. I'm sure the 'Do Not Disturb' is not turned on. I've checked everything, turned on data roaming, tried LTE, and even online chat, but nothing helps. Has anybody else had the same issue? How can I solve it?Thanks a lot.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This is more than likely due to the Chinese cellular network blocking the absilty to make calls to  the United States.  Try having someone call you while you are connected to WiFi with WiFi Calling enabled.  

Badge

This is more than likely due to the Chinese cellular network blocking the absilty to make calls to  the United States.  Try having someone call you while you are connected to WiFi with WiFi Calling enabled.  

Thank you. But I've already tried turning on Wi-Fi calling, yet the issue persists. When a US phone calls me, it directly connects to voicemail. However, I can't access any voicemails.

I had the same exact issue a few weeks ago. I could make outgoing calls, had data, but all incoming calls went directly to VM. TMO tried numerous things but it didn't resolve the issue. I could only receive calls when in airplane mode on WiFi as WiFi calling calls. It is a T-Mobile issue and they can't resolve it. China Mobile has great coverage. It wasn't a coverage issue. It's a T-Mobile provisioning issue and they couldn't resolve it. Since you are using an iPhone you can tell others with iPhones to FaceTime audio or video you, but I am confident T-Mobile won't be able to resolve it for you either. Super frustrating I'm sure. 

Thank you. But I've already tried turning on Wi-Fi calling, yet the issue persists. When a US phone calls me, it directly connects to voicemail. However, I can't access any voicemails.

I have the same issue. When I use roaming, I can make calls, receive calls from China, but unable to receive call from places outside of China like US. This may be due to Tmobile’s inability to use LTE in China to make and receive calls, see unable to make and receive phone calls in Mainland China | T-Mobile Community. It turns to GSM to make calls, but unable to receive calls.

More detailed explanation: T-mobile cooperate with China Mobile and uses its network in China. For LTE, China Mobile has TD-LTE frequency band unique to China. T-mobile may not support this TD-LTE frequency band. Although China Unicom has  FDD-LTE frequency band compatible with T-mobile and AT&T, T-mobile did not cooperate with China Unicom and can’t use their network. For GSM, In US, T-mobile and other providers are abandoning GSM, while in China GSM is still used. So there may also be compatibility issues using GSM.

When I use WIFI calling, I’m able to make and receive calls by changing DNS server. Be aware that China may block some internet communication using DNS cache contamination. So you may need to change the WIFI setting like this: Choose IP settings as static instead of DHCP, then change the DNS server to some other available server, not controlled by China, like 199.85.127.10 provided by Norton DNS, see Norton DNS - Norton ConnectSafe.

In this way, you may use WIFI calling to receive calls from outside China. Just use a VOIP phone number is also a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I might try increasing the time before an unanswered call rolls over to voicemail. The call has to go from China to the USA and back to China and this may take more time than your default settings allows..

i have met the same problem since the end of Nov. 2023. Unfortunately, i am not just traveling in China. I leave in China now. Many of my friends and business partners are suffering from this. And thank you for your idea of WIFI calling, that is the last solution that the official team could provide.

If anyone have any ideas on how to solve it, please reply. Thank you so much.