What flip phone to get Grandpa?

• 22 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Grandpa fell in a ditch and ruined his Alcatel Go Flip 2. That phone wasn’t the greatest anyway and we liked his ZTE Cymbal Z320 a lot better.

Now there are 4 flip phones available!?

1. TCL Flip Go for $96
  2. SCHOK Flip for $96
  3. Sonim XP3Plus for $210
  4. Sonim XP3Plus (non-camera version) for $210

I also tried finding a used ZTE Cymbal Z320 but could only find one that I was sure was the T-Mobile version for almost $77.

Trying to choose a phone is a bit difficult to say the least. What is the difference between these other than the price and that one doesn’t have a camera?

I mean we don’t care if it has Wi-Fi or a camera or text messaging because he’s not going to use any of that. But how do we know what phone is easy to use? The Alcatel he had was a pain and we would have sent it back if there were another flip phone available at the time. Is there anyway to try these phones? Is there a better alternative?

The idea is to put his T-Mobile sim into a phone that works and isn’t a smartphone because he’ll smash it with a hammer if it’s a smartphone.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Well, we ended up getting the TCL Flip Go. We have to wait for it in the mail. We don’t live anywhere close to a place that sells cell phones. It seems like all the cell phone shops all went away. Hopefully it works ok. Looking at a couple of reviews on YouTube the TCL Flip Go seemed a bit more simple than the other SCHOK Flip and might have better battery life. It was the terrible battery life that we did not like the Alcatel Go Flip 2 phone.

I’m still using my ZTE Cymbal Z320. It’s a great flip phone! Too bad they don’t make them like they used to, and simple phones like these are like 10 times the price. I distinctly remember buying my first cell phone for something like $10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I last upgraded my phone at a Best Buy . In and out in 20 minutes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I last upgraded my phone at a Best Buy . In and out in 20 minutes.

What did you get? The closest Best Buy is about 3 hours from here, the same as the closest T-Mobile store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I got a Pixel 6 for a $150cheaper than TMobile was offering.

Seeking a TRULY simple clamshell for my elderly father.  One that answers incoming calls AND implements speakerphone by simply opening clamshell.  Absolutely  NO extra buttons!  Simply open the clamshell and say hello.  Period!  Any ideas?  Also want band 71. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

thats a decent amount of demands for a “simple” phone lol