Question

Sprint Kyocera DuraXTP not compatible with the TMobile network?

• 10 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m downgrading from an iPhone to a flipphone.  TMobile Team of Experts told me the Kyocera DuraXTP E4281 would be compatible with the TMobile network. So, I bought two.  

After several hours across several days, no one at Sprint, TMobile, my local TMobile store or Kyocera can tell me now, if or how the phone can be used on the TMobile/Sprint System.

Apparently the DuraXTP doesnt have an IMEI. It has a DEC #, that Kyocera says is used instead of an IMEI. Both Sprint and TMobile say it has to be an IMEI and don’t know what to do with a DEC #.

This confuses the heck out of me that no one has a definitive answer. I’d like to be able to use the phones if I can straighten this out. If it’s really not possible to use the phones on the TMobile/Sprint network I’ll mail them back.

Has anyone successfully used the Kyocera DuraXTP E4281 on the TMobile network?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile is shutting down their 2G/3G network, so the device will not work on T-Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This phone is listed as having the following band specs:
CDMA: (1x, EVDO Rev. A) BCO/BC1/BC10 (800/1900MHz)
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: B5/B8/B3/B2 (850/900/1800/1900MHz), 1x Advanced

The minimal T-Mobile compatibility is band 2 (1900 MHz) GSM. However, I personally would never claim that this phone is “compatible” with T-Mobile as band 2 GSM is a soon-to-be-depreciated legacy technology.

AFAIK, if you want a flip-phone that is compatible with T-Mobile your only real choice is the Go-Flip 3.

Userlevel 2
Badge

re “…AFAIK, if you want a flip-phone that is compatible with T-Mobile your only real choice is the Go-Flip 3.…"

The Sonim  XP3  is also a compatible flip phone. And available nor or less free from t-mobile if they’re forcing you to retire your phone. ….like the Dura X series phones it is rugged and waterproof.It’s a bit bulkier than the Dura X type flip phones.

. I tried the Actel Go-flip..IMO it’s   a not very good phone.