Question

Tips for new hotspot data plan for part time RV use

• 27 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Title says it all. I just signed up for 50GB data using a Winegard Gateway GW-1000. I went this route for two reasons: one, it uses external antennas (should get a better signal?) and two, it is 12 volts, so it will work without the inverter on. Boondocking! We would primarily use this for casual Internet use on our laptops and video streaming to the TV.

My big concern is that I am still working from home, so I only need this when we roll out for a trip. I saw that I can suspend (I think that is what it was called) the account, but only twice a year, and only for up to 90 days. Not enough! The T-Mobile rep said no worries, just report it lost or stolen - and he set it to that status. That doesn’t feel right, but that is what he said to do.

And I already have $50 due, although there has been zero data use and the plan is in a “lost or stolen” status. I’m guessing first month, I get billed regardless. May as well turn it on and use it to check performance?

So you part-time RVers, what do you do? Show me the way! 🏝

2 replies

Badge +1

Not sure how it’s going to work, but I just picked up a T-Mobile 5G hotspot device and purchased a prepaid data plan.  When we take the RV out on a trip, I’ll just load up the SIM with a $50 50G plan.  It’s good for 30 days and then you back to zero but you don’t have any contracts and you can load it back up anytime you want without canceling anything beforehand.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I saw that I can suspend (I think that is what it was called) the account, but only twice a year, and only for up to 90 days. Not enough! The T-Mobile rep said no worries, just report it lost or stolen - and he set it to that status. That doesn’t feel right, but that is what he said to do.

That sounds fishy.  I wouldn't be comfortable with that either.  I wonder if you had a T-Mobile phone plan with hot spot data included?  Then just use the phone as your router for the laptop connectivity, of course that would depend on a mobile signal first, but it would be a one device stand alone plan and wouldn’t require 120 volts AC.  Just thinking out loud.