I have a Pixel XL that was originally Project Fi. I switched to TMobile two weeks ago and my group MMS are not downloading, either on wifi or mobile. Sometimes they come through, other times I have to go to the individual messages and download them. 90% of the time, they fail to download. I've done all the troubleshooting, including resetting the network and creating the new APN from this forum. My husband has the same phone and same network and is not having this issue. The message app also crashes after a few tries at downloading.
Google support was not helpful, telling me I can't use wifi for MMS, which is incorrect because I've always used wifi. Plus, it's also happening on data.
Below is the APN I have done according to TMobile support doc. Although, my phone does not have a "MMS protocol" option. This helped my phone to be able to receive them more frequently, although, I still have to download them.
Android APN settings
- Open the Access Point Names or APNs menu.
- In Settings, look under Wireless & Networks or tap the Connections tab.
- Touch Mobile network. You may need to touch More settings, More..., or More networks first.
- Touch Access Point Names.
- Touch the T-Mobile APN if one is available. If not, press the Menu key and touch new APN.
- Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN.
- Name: T-Mobile
- APN: Fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)
- Proxy: <Not set>
- Port: <Not set>
- Username: <Not set>
- Password: <Not set>
- Server: <Not set>
- MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
- MMS proxy: <Not set>
- MMS port: <Not set>
- MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
- MCC: 310
- MNC: 260
- Authentication Type: <Not set>
- APN Type: default,supl,mms OR Internet+MMS
- Default Android provides a text field to enter: default,supl,mms.
- Samsung provides an Internet+MMS radio button to select.
- APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
- APN roaming protocol: IPv4
- Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs
- Bearer: Unspecified
- Press the Menu key.
- Touch Save.
- Delete any other APNs that appear in the list. The FOTA APN can remain if available.
- Touch the APN that needs to be removed.
- Press the Menu key.
- Touch Delete APN.
- Verify there is a circle next to the remaining APN.
- Perform a soft reset. Hold down the power button until the device turns off and restarts.
- Test the data connection and/or MMS by accessing the Web or sending a picture message.
- Complete additional troubleshooting if the APN settings are correct, but customers still experience issues.
Best answer by tmo_marissa
For your specific issue, if individual MMS are downloading but not MMS in group messages, this is going to be a setting on the phone and not the T-Mobile network. In your situation, is your phone currently still receiving and downloading individual MMS messages with no issue? If not, are you able to browse the web while not connected to WiFi?
Also, are you using Google Hangouts as your messaging application? If so, would you be able to try downloading another messaging client from the play store like GoSMS or Textra and seeing if the issue persists? I just want to narrow down if this is an issue with the default app or if there is setting that is wrong in the phone somewhere.