Solved

VPN throttled on LTE wireless

• 15 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Using 5G, hard wired or wireless getting when connecting with VPN to work. Used AnyConnect and Fortinet VPN solutions. The throttling does not happen with my other ISP. Why Is T mobile throttling the 5G connection when using VPN?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 15 January 2021, 16:22

View original

5 replies

Badge +1

I will help you complain. I have “free wifi” at the apartment building I’m living in and it works fine...most of the time...at nearly 800mbps. The times it doesn’t work, I must use hotspot, at 144.4mbps. Barely usable for 480p video. If I’m paying 50 bucks a month for unlimited data/text/calls, I should get decent speed.

o.o  144.4mbps is “Barely usable for 480p video”?  4K uncompressed video tops out at around 40mbps for its data stream.  Even 8k video requires just a little more than 144.4mbps being around 160mbps when uncompressed.  1080p is approximately 10mbps on the top end and 480p sits nicely around .5mbps.  I’ll agree that throttling VPN connectivity is bad, but either the numbers you put in there are VERY wrong, or you’re not seeing the behavior you claim.

Its because tmobile caps video streams. Also 4k uncompressed video does not top out at 40mbps, that isnt even 1080 blu ray quailty, which is over 50. 4k blu ray players are way over a 100, and all of them are compressed. My quest 2 does up to 5gbps and its not enough for the quest 2 resoultion, with out blotches. That is 90hz vs a video of 24 but you are way off on uncompressed video. 8k video before hdmi 2.1 required 4 hdmi cables to get 8k 30hz. 

4k 120hz 420 requires the max bandwith of a hdmi 2 cable which is like 18 gbps. A 8k 24 frame per second uncompressed video would be 4x that number. 

Now if we are talking compressed I can stream my pc to my s7 plus tablet at 150mbps which is 1440 120hz rgb full and it looks fine. In order to get 1080 blu ray movies to look good you need over 50 mbps if you are trying to stream it.

I will help you complain. I have “free wifi” at the apartment building I’m living in and it works fine...most of the time...at nearly 800mbps. The times it doesn’t work, I must use hotspot, at 144.4mbps. Barely usable for 480p video. If I’m paying 50 bucks a month for unlimited data/text/calls, I should get decent speed.

o.o  144.4mbps is “Barely usable for 480p video”?  4K uncompressed video tops out at around 40mbps for its data stream.  Even 8k video requires just a little more than 144.4mbps being around 160mbps when uncompressed.  1080p is approximately 10mbps on the top end and 480p sits nicely around .5mbps.  I’ll agree that throttling VPN connectivity is bad, but either the numbers you put in there are VERY wrong, or you’re not seeing the behavior you claim.

Badge

Badge

I will complain. Otherwise I will return their equipment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile does this to prevent people from using their smartphones in hotspot mode as their internet service for their home.  I definitely agree that they need to find some way to distinguish a cell phone from the 5G/LTE wireless home internet modems though.  The more people that complain to Support about this, the sooner something will hopefully get done to address the issue.