Solved

Can I have a limited time prepaid plan?

• 24 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

I am a foreigner. I will travel to US in September. I plan to buy a T-mobile prepaid sim card. I see all prepaid plans are monthly plans. Can I ask the store staff only open a month for me? Or it has to be an auto renew monthly plan and I can only cancel it myself at the end of the first month? Or can I suspend the number without any fee and re-activate the number when I travel back to US in the future?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 24 August 2023, 15:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Don't sign up for autopay. Once the funds run out the account will close automatically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As mentioned, don’t use autopay if you only plan on subscribing for a month.  After that month, if not refilled for 60 days, the prepaid account will close automatically.  When you return to the US in the future.  You can purchase a new SIM and do the same.  

I am not original poster but similar visit planned- but need a Local US Number so folks can call me back whilst I am there.

Anyone know if the card comes with such a number? (I just asked the seller)

I also see Ebay has SIM cards at fraction of cost of visiting T Mobile store - https://www.ebay.com/itm/354987303448

T-MOBILE Triple SIM Card R15 "3 in 1" NANO 4G 5G LTE NEW  $3.49 Free Delivery in US.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

A number won't be assigned until the sim is activated.

If you have a phone that can use an esim I would go that route. You can sign up for a plan, download the esim and once you get off the plan you turn on the phone and activate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am not original poster but similar visit planned- but need a Local US Number so folks can call me back whilst I am there.

Anyone know if the card comes with such a number? (I just asked the seller)

I also see Ebay has SIM cards at fraction of cost of visiting T Mobile store - https://www.ebay.com/itm/354987303448

T-MOBILE Triple SIM Card R15 "3 in 1" NANO 4G 5G LTE NEW  $3.49 Free Delivery in US.

Thanks

You want to be very careful buying SIM cards from other sources like Ebay. SIM cards have a date on them. If they are not activated by that date, then they are terminated and that SIM card number can never be used. 

The SIM card does not automatically come with a phone number. You would need to call or go online to activate a phone number and attach it to the SIM card you want to use (including eSIM). 

Appreciate your replies guys - and the warning regardong re-sellers.

Not visting for a couple of months so I have time to check it out a bit more.