Question

Have a 2G phone and received letter. Why did T-Mobile store say there was no "free" replacement?

• 11 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Got the letter in the mail yesterday.  Went to the  T-Mobile store in my home town this morning (but did forget to bring the letter with me).   They told me that there would be both and upgrade and activation fee amounting to over $50.  I don’t call this free; would you?   Now it could be that this store was not informed about the free upgrade offer to those that have an old phone (like me).   Could someone clarify this for me?  Thanks in advance.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

These fees are fairly new.  T-Mobile charges an activation fee when you get a new device from T-Mobile.  You can avoid this fee at places like BestBuy.  There is also a User Support Fee that is charged on pretty much every interaction you have with an actual person, whether that in person or over the phone.  Again, BestBuy is a good place to avoid this.  

The best people to tell you what you are eligible for in my opinion, would be the T-Force Team.  You can reach them by sending a DM to T-Mobile on either Facebook or Twitter.  

Badge

If there is such a fee, not looking forward to my next bill.  Wondered why they took pics of my driver’s license.   lol

:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Best Buy is not a partner with T-Mobile. T-mobile quietly killed the partnership and Best Buy and they cleared their stock of T-Mobile phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Best Buy is not a partner with T-Mobile. T-mobile quietly killed the partnership and Best Buy and they cleared their stock of T-Mobile phones.

Damn!  That's unfortunate.  I never even noticed the last time I was at BestBuy.  

Badge

Hopefully I can get a no frills cheap phone from Wal-Mart, then.   At least I won’t have to pay the upgrade fee.   lol

:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you don't mind used phones you can go to Swappa and usually find a nice deal there.

Badge

Turns out I was able to get my free phone; had to present the letter.  Not sure why they said what they did earlier, but once I presented them the letter, I got my 4G Flip (only option that they had for 4G).   Phone actually has built in web browser and email client support but have not set that part up yet (and likely will not; we shall see).   :)