Solved

Syncup Tracker and Google Maps

• 11 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

I just ordered a Syncup Tracker. Customer Service claimed that this device would allow me to connect to Google Maps in a rental car in England, even in rural areas where there is no cell service. Can this device really do that? I would prefer not to spend money on a Garmin and add international mapping. 

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 30 January 2024, 21:43

View original

7 replies

It’s absolutely not true, I spent days back and forth with support and chat - and finally got someone who knew what they were talking about and Sync watch has NO SERVICE outside of the United States. 

Badge

It's not a watch but a stand-alone tracking device that customer service indicated is a combination of cell and GPS technology. I guess I need to send it back when it arrives. 

Badge

The T-Mobile website says that international roaming is supported. I plan to purchase an international calling plan. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

It's not a watch but a stand-alone tracking device that customer service indicated is a combination of cell and GPS technology. I guess I need to send it back when it arrives. 

Do you mind stating what the device is you are receiving?

Badge

As it turns out, it WAS the T-Mobile Syncup Tracker. But I called back to customer service and reached someone who knew what he was talking about. He said this device will NOT do what I wanted it to. He said the previous advice I got was way off base. I will be returning the device when it arrives at my house. The device is simply a tracking device, which I do not need. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It sounds like the SyncUP DRIVE - Car Wi-Fi Hotspot & Tracking would be closer to what you are looking for. It plugs into your car and can broadcast a Wi-Fi network while on the go. There is a place in the SyncUP DRIVE page that allows you to check the make and model of your car to see if it is compatible. I would check that if you can because it is possible that it is not compatible with the non-US vehicle. The SyncUP DRIVE plan does work internationally, but it is subject to network availability. If you are in a rural area that does not have coverage from one of our partner networks, you will not get service. You can see if the areas you will be in are covered on our Traveling Abroad site. 

Badge

Google Maps supports your scenario with offline maps. You will need to download an offline map for the area you’re planning to visit and make sure you phone’s GPS settings allow for location data. If you’re outside of mobile phone coverage you will still have location data that can be tracked on your offline map. You won’t have access to active data such as traffic conditions but you should be able to avoid getting lost.