Question

Select Choice Unlimited vs Magenta Unlimited 55

• 12 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi, I am currently on a grandfathered plan: Select Choice Unlimited TT+D 20 with Data Add-on of SC UNL Incl w/5 GB SMHS. I have 2 lines, each costing $20 for the base plan plus $20 for the data add-on. So my monthly bill is $80+ tax, or around $89.

I am considering switching to the 2-line Magenta Unlimited 55 plan, which would save me about $20 per month. It appears to be almost identical to what I have, but I want to make sure I won’t be losing anything before I give up the grandfathered plan.

If I understand correctly, the Magenta plan will give me 100 GB of high speed data before throttling, which is plenty. It also provides 5GB of 4G LTE hotspot data.  Is this any different from the 5GB SMHS hotspot data I currently have?

In terms of talk and text, the Magenta plan says it provides “unlimited talk and text between 2 people. Others (eg conferences, chat lines, etc) may cost extra.” I sometimes have 3- or 4-way conference calls with family members. While this has not been a problem under my current plan, will I have issues with Magenta? Does Magenta also offer the other call features I currently have, like spam blocking and voicemail transcription?

Also, will the current price for Magenta Unlimited 55 ($70) lock in for life? I would hate to give up my current price-locked plan only to see my new rates rise in the coming years.

Any other differences between the two plans I should be considering? Other than the Netflix subscription and the in-flight wifi, both of which are of little value to me, is there anything I will gain (or lose) by switching?  I appreciate all help and advice!

7 replies

Badge

Wow, disappointed that there are no replies to your post.

I have very similar questions - I’m on Select Choice Unlimited and wonder if there’s a compelling reason to switch (in my case to T-Mobile Essentials).  

What did you decide to do?

Badge

Thanks for responding. I’m disappointed too!! For now, I’m still on my old Select Choice plan. Since I was unable to get any answers to my questions (here or elsewhere), I had to put it aside for the time being. But I’d still love answers if someone (anyone? Hellooo?) has the information.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You hoo! Is anybody there? Please answer Roobear’s question.

Badge

Thank you, TiredOfTheInternet! Although it’s been awhile, I would still like to see a response. I am still on my grandfathered plan, but every time I see a commercial for the over-55 plans, I wonder…am I clinging to something that no longer serves me best?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I migrated from the same plan to the 55+ One plan with unlimited talk and text at $60 a month after autopay with tax included and the price hasn't changed in 5 years and it's a grandfathered plan now.

As for free conference calling there are some  that you will be charged for no matter what your plan is due to traffic pumping.

Traffic Pumping

I know that if I were to upgrade to the Magenta plan I would lose a couple of minor features I don't use but will gain the $8.99 Netflix which doesn't make switching to me appealing for an extra $10 a month.

Badge

I recently looked into switching to a Magenta Plan as this would increase my trade in value from $400 t $800, an additional $400. I have one line. I was told that my cost would increase by $14/month. The only real thing I’d get out of this is an increase to my hotspot limit. I don’t use it that often. So… an increase of $336 over 2 years (contract when buying a new phone) and I save $400. Big difference is, I also lose the grandfathered plan and $14/month every month. 

Seems like TM is trying their best to move people over to more expensive plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I like the Pixel line of phones so I always wait about 6 months after the they've been released and get one 40 to 50% off and not have to change plans.