5 g internet indifferent performance and hanging on by a thread

• 17 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

My tmobile 5g experience is as follows:  mostly slow and often stumbling down load speed.  Sometimes connection cannot even be completed . sometimes this is fixed by restarting the modem/router but page loads are always slower than a fixed line connection.  The TV most always need to be reconnected to the wifi if the TV is off for several hours. 

T-mobiles 5g feels more like it is in the beta mode and being tested on subscribers.  But the pricing is all wrong for that.

My suggestion for t-mobile is to start over with a more robust modem/router that overcomes loss of signal issues or provide a mess router interface as an included add on.  Time of use leading to super slow downloads during some times of the day must be fixed by infrastructure upgrades.  Barring a fix, and more committed efforts on t-mobiles’ behalf,  leaves the exit door wide open for the next 5g provider which can hardly do worse.

I have no complaint with the support desk but they cannot fix the problem.  Please do your best to fix the quality issues of your 5g internet signal and your not for prime time equipment and infrastructure.

copz1998 9 months ago

@marinmaelstrom and @Doug Renton 

if you have the T-Mobile home internet service, then you must qualify for being in a 5G network area and able to receive a 5G signal from a nearby cell tower. 

That said, let's try to diagnose the cause so that we can resolve your issue. Please answer a few questions that will be helpful in the diagnosing the problem. 

1. Did you use the Placement Assistant in the T-Mobile Internet app? If not, you can access it from the app Home Screen: tap the More about connection quality link on the Home Screen > Launch placement assistant > OK! Let's do this > you can watch the video if it will help, then “skip video” which will launch the placement assistant > enter your address or share location (if you use “share location” and your address shows up then you are assured to be connected to the network). It will take 30-45 seconds to confirm your location.  Use the “Camera” mode for a direct visual of where your cell tower is located to where your gateway is located in your home. Try to make sure your gateway is located in a high point of your home and clear of any obstructions. Here is a helpful video: 
  1. What are your metrics - now that you are confident your gateway is located in the best possible location, your metrics will show the quality of your connection. In your T-Mobile Internet app > tap “MORE” at the bottom of the Home Screen > tap “Advanced cellular metrics” > tap “5G” > and let us know your RSRQ, RSRP, SINR and which band you are connected to. You should be on band n41 or n71. Look at the chart posted above in this thread for. the ideal readings. to get the best readings, slightly rotate your gateway about 1/8th of a turn and then check the metrics to see if they change for the better. Repeat until you get the best metrics.  

Let us know the results. I hope this helps. 

View original

6 replies

Just got my T-Mobile gateway today and I am getting a whooping 2mb/s. Super unstable and barely works. Don't know how this works bc I have T-Mobile as my phone provider and when I turn on my mobile hotspot it's a minimum of 50mb/s. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@marinmaelstrom and @Doug Renton 

if you have the T-Mobile home internet service, then you must qualify for being in a 5G network area and able to receive a 5G signal from a nearby cell tower. 

That said, let's try to diagnose the cause so that we can resolve your issue. Please answer a few questions that will be helpful in the diagnosing the problem. 

1. Did you use the Placement Assistant in the T-Mobile Internet app? If not, you can access it from the app Home Screen: tap the More about connection quality link on the Home Screen > Launch placement assistant > OK! Let's do this > you can watch the video if it will help, then “skip video” which will launch the placement assistant > enter your address or share location (if you use “share location” and your address shows up then you are assured to be connected to the network). It will take 30-45 seconds to confirm your location.  Use the “Camera” mode for a direct visual of where your cell tower is located to where your gateway is located in your home. Try to make sure your gateway is located in a high point of your home and clear of any obstructions. Here is a helpful video: 
  1. What are your metrics - now that you are confident your gateway is located in the best possible location, your metrics will show the quality of your connection. In your T-Mobile Internet app > tap “MORE” at the bottom of the Home Screen > tap “Advanced cellular metrics” > tap “5G” > and let us know your RSRQ, RSRP, SINR and which band you are connected to. You should be on band n41 or n71. Look at the chart posted above in this thread for. the ideal readings. to get the best readings, slightly rotate your gateway about 1/8th of a turn and then check the metrics to see if they change for the better. Repeat until you get the best metrics.  

Let us know the results. I hope this helps. 

Badge

Please take a look at the following for 5g: RSRQ   -9, RSRP  -99, SINR 2, BAND N41.  I could not locate the ref. chart mention as being in the thread.

A day later I contacted T-mobile second tier technician who advised that my specific address has a reading for 5g of 2.5 out of 10 and I should probably not have the service to begin with. Or perhaps I had simply tried to fix the issue  with too many phone calls and reached the final disconnect.  Phone calls that previous day were garbled, too.

Today is a different story.  Everything seems to work at the previous low quality but it does now work.   This leads me to believe that the big problem has been with the carrier versus my location.  (I mentioned the issues regarding the location prior to signing up.  This was bridged with the “try it out trial period” and I would be even more surprised to find that I needed to try it out for 6 months to know if it would be satisfactory i. e. fair for me). 

And just because I was at the end of my rope, I plugged in my Night Hawk router with cable to the t-mobile device and now the wifi connection is as good as ever. I made no adjustments to anything and it may just be coincidental as I did not attempt to disconnect the t-mobile router in order to avoid conflict with a wifi signal.

So for now Ill ride it out until the 2 years to own the phones runs out or until the moment this distressing loss of service happens again.

Thanks for the help thus far from the community

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

My apologies, I missed the attachment. Please see below. The metrics help to guide users to obtaining a better signal. Good luck, it seems your call to technical support was a positive effort. 

Badge

I thank you for the chart as I understand better my  floating nearer the fringe.  This will allow me to more carefully seek improvement as you suggested.  I am grateful for you help.

@copz1998 

Do you seriously think we haven’t all done all of that multiple times? Drop it with the placement nonsense. I have issues with connectivity, speeds, and signals *without* even touching my gateway. I’ve been sitting here for the last hour watching my gateway bounce between n71 (good speed) and n41 (fast download, but upload so slow it makes my internet unusable). I’m sitting 15 feet away from it and it’s not moving on its own. So it’s not the placement. It’s your company overselling the area and tossing the HI customers under the bus.

Never mind that frequently when I check on *your website* that it shows it’s “not available” in my area. Despite me having it for about 3 years.

I can’t wait until Vexus gets built out to my part of the city.