Anyone else wake up to a Red Battery Light on their LTE Home Internet Gateway this morning 11/21/21?

• 21 November 2021
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Woke up to a Red Battery Light on my 4G Home Internet Gateway. It has worked fine for almost a year now. I understand there was a software update last night and can’t help but thing they are related.

Anyone else?

43 replies

Same problem here. Battery light turned orange for a couple of days and is now in the red. Unplugging/ turning LTE on and off, turning box on and off has no effect

Hello - Adding to this discussion thread here… my modem device box showed a red LED Battery icon light for days and then just yesterday there is no light at all, nothing at all showing up while the WiFi and LTE lights continue unaffected with green LED light indicators. I called T-Mobile Internet support last week and was told they are aware of the situation and that there is a firmware update currently taking place but they could not tell me why nor how long this LED Battery Light issue was going to last. To me, this whole firmware update/LED Battery light issue seems weird. Anyone else here think so too? And WHY does this firmware update only effect the Battery Icon light?

Just got off the phone with a T-Mo “expert”.  Says engineering is working an upgrade on my tower.  24-48 hours. We will see.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just got off the phone with a T-Mo “expert”.  Says engineering is working an upgrade on my tower.  24-48 hours. We will see.

WTF….The Tower has Nothing to do with your battery light….

Same for me, guess we should be thankful the internet still works.

Well, we are paying for this service… I have two modem devices, one in NJ and one in NY. The device in NY seems to be in working order, meaning all three icon lights on the device show up green. However, the NJ device has issues... first with a red light display on the battery icon a couple of weeks ago which now has simply no light display at all. So I now ask if this a regional “firmware update” issue or if this is simply a broken modem device? Here along the NJ shore, we frequently lose electricity, so the battery is an important component feature to the modem. I’ll say this, the T-Mobile “support” staff (offshore) were not much help, they seemed as clueless as their customers calling them to ask for help. :rolling_eyes:

Badge

Well, I am tickled pink.  I’ve had TMHI for 13 months.  Had a sad time for a long while, getting spurts of 8 or 10 mbps down, then fading immediately to .2 or .1.  I use it as a backup until I’m able to dump ATT DSL.  So, I wasn’t too worried about it, I had faith (misguided?) that T-Mobile would do wonderous upgrades in my area.  A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the battery light on my LTE gateway was orange.  Looked at the battery and couldn’t figure out how to get it out.  So, I didn’t.  Still connected to the internet, so I wasn’t too worried about it.  Then today, my battery light turned RED.  Wow, I thought, I’m in deep water now.  Moved my gateway for hundredth time, and, the battery light went back to green, and I’m getting 8 to 11 mbps down.  For me, that’s a HUGE improvement.  So, whatever you’re doing Tmobile, keep it up.  I might have a heart attack if I ever hit the dizzying speeds of 25 Mbps.  Seriously, I am pleased.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

…..I checked on 5G availability over the last few days and my address is now on the available list….so….I ordered the 5G gateway and will remove/return the LTE gateway once the 5G arrives and proves to work well/better….

p.s. T-Mobile seems to be moving to the newer gateway and will likely discontinue the lte gateway at some point….figure I might as well go there even if the switch-over will be a PITA for reconnecting all my wifi computers and devices….

Well I am like everyone else after the firmware update.  Battery went from orange to red to dead.  As anyone living in the Northeast US knows, this is the time of year when winter storms can cause temp power outages.  It was nice to be able to grab a tablet and jump on wifi and continue watching the game or keep up with weather, road, and power updates without running the phone battery down.  No more!  Really doesn’t say much about T-Mobile’s quality control to roll this out without complete testing.  Support is a joke, if you can get through and understand the rep they just have you do all the tings you have already done.  T-Mobile is quick to send text and emails to try to sell you something but totally ignores situations like this.  Sad, used to be a big T-Mobile proponent.  BTW - 5G service in my area is the wide area version, it makes 3G seem fast.

After receiving a rather fishy answer about my “red light” I asked for a replacement  I was upgraded to the new 5G Gateway and it works just fine, so far only online for about an hour.  Download speed from OOKLA is just over 200MPS upload about 8 MPS.  The downloads are noticeably better.  Streaming on YouTube TV at 1080 HD is no problem.  I would suggest that if the battery situation does not resolve try to go with the 5G.  Or maybe upgrade anyway.  It is much faster.

Userlevel 1
Badge

After receiving a rather fishy answer about my “red light” I asked for a replacement  I was upgraded to the new 5G Gateway and it works just fine, so far only online for about an hour.  Download speed from OOKLA is just over 200MPS upload about 8 MPS.  The downloads are noticeably better.  Streaming on YouTube TV at 1080 HD is no problem.  I would suggest that if the battery situation does not resolve try to go with the 5G.  Or maybe upgrade anyway.  It is much faster.

Excellent!  I’m hoping for the same….  my 5G gateway arrives tomorrow…. Not from this screwup, but because I was able (after a year of trying) to order it at my location… I will verify that it works properly then cancel/return the 4G gateway

Userlevel 1
Badge

I got my 5G Home Internet Gateway today….. WOW! Huge difference in speed...typically this time of day I’m lucky to get 5 mbps …. it’s running well over 250 mbps….

We’ll see if it holds over the next week or so and then it’s bye-bye LTE Gateway.

Userlevel 1
Badge

5G gateway still working great this morning…. even hit 400 Mbps! a few times. Wow!

Still doing this after a month.  Not happy.  This was a great setup then they screwed it up.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve been using the new 5G Home Internet Gateway for about a week now and it’s amazingly better. Speed is excellent -- beyond my expectations. I canceled and shipped the 4G Gateway device back to T-Mo as of yesterday.

…..I checked on 5G availability over the last few days and my address is now on the available list….so….I ordered the 5G gateway and will remove/return the LTE gateway once the 5G arrives and proves to work well/better….

p.s. T-Mobile seems to be moving to the newer gateway and will likely discontinue the lte gateway at some point….figure I might as well go there even if the switch-over will be a PITA for reconnecting all my wifi computers and devices….

I also had the LTE and the same problem with the battery. I called to see if I could get a new battery, instead the sent out the 5G gateway.  Found out if you unplug the 5G gateway you lose connection to the internet. Not sure what good the battery is. Been reading other comments about the 5G gateway and the battery issue, so in my opinion the 5G gateway isn’t much good if the power goes off because the battery doesn’t work anyway.

I turned on the battery saver and the light went back to normal. I hope this solved. My issue.

Similar thing happened to me today, but my phone won’t even turn on. I have a big, red, rectangular battery icon in the center of the screen, and when I press the power button, the LG logo comes up as if it’s turning on, then nothing. Back to the red battery icon.