Question

External Antenna Makes Massive Difference For Me!!!

• 6 October 2021
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

35 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What were your readings before installing the antenna? download and upload speed please?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Ok so before installing just the can best location in my home 75/25 best case. It was solid at this speed but again not what I signed up for but solid 75/25.

My signal was weak 2/3 bars near -100dbm so really weak and could not hold the 5G signals they would drop soon after reboot so I was stuck with 4G speeds.

Now I can hold the n41 tower so we are talking 500/100”+++ speeds solid now for 2 days.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Just now.

Still holding strong the next day things are looking good still getting 600+/100+.

what antenna did u use, would you be able to post a link

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Still holding strong the next day things are looking good still getting 600+/100+.

what antenna did u use, would you be able to post a link

https://www.waveform.com/products/mimo-panel-kit-for-hotspots-routers?variant=39349359476839

There are 2 types one if you have direct line of sight one if not, I used the regular one since I do not have line of sight.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

OK I just installed the 10/100/1000 switch so now all the Google Wifi pucks are connected at 1000 and speed at all pucks matches the speed of the main puck. Really the pucks are not that far apart and in the past I always had a great connection so no idea why recently with no changes the wifi connection between them went to good/ok dropping the mesh speed. I seen a few guys claiming that Google dumbed them down for speed so they could get ppl to upgrade to the newer version. I kinda believe this could be true as I see no reason for the reduced mesh connection. But upgrading the switch and connecting them by ethernet has solved the issue. If I am going to buy a new mesh it will be wifi 6 not 5 so Google is not getting my business anyways.

So again to summarize what I did to take advantage of my new found speed.

• Replace the cable that runs from the can to the main Google puck as the old in walls cable was not up to par.
  • Ran ethernet to each Google puck since wireless connection would only handle 75-80.
  • Replaced house switch with gig since I needed the faster connection to the pucks.

At this point I think I am ok and if anymore is upgraded it would be to a wifi 6 mesh sys. But not sure that’s really needed as speeds all around the house are fast enough and every room has an ethernet port if you really want a full speed connection.

Badge

When asked they told me an external antenna would not help me. I get between 4mbps and 30mbps with constant lost signals every evening. The only thing more disappointing was Centurylinks 1mbps to 3 mbps. Elon Musk rescue me.

Does the antenna improve video quality also?

When I used a panel antenna from a XPOL-2-5G Poynting Antenna I went from 60 down to 270 down. 426 down once. If your getting under 100 down and can get n41 then you can get faster speed with external antenna. My question is has anyone used 2 external antennas for better signal and faster speeds?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Bond, a bit of good news on your outlaw status. A comment in the comment section of a recent YouTube video by Peter Carcione, another external antenna enthusiast, said they called T mobile about their position on external antennas. I’ll just quote the comment:

“I called T-Mobile. Just got off the phone with them and we had a lengthy discussion about adding an external antenna to the gateway that I have. She told me that as long as there is no damage to the device that I would be able to return or upgrade.”

From watching videos of it, be careful when getting the tabs that are attached to the bottom out, and use any trick people suggest to do it carefully. The little tabs can break as you are trying to remove the bottom. I haven’t done anything to my gateway. But in one guy’s video, he cracked a tab. Of course, the bottom of the gateway will still stay on with one cracked tab fine.