Question

home area

• 17 September 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Why does my home internet gateway list my location as Detroit when my location is 4 hours away in Ohio? It’s not ideal when searching online for “places near me.”

12 replies

I have run across the opposite problem. I live near Detroit and I get hooked up to Cleveland. It throws off my streaming services that geolocate me. If I want to watch Detroit Lions football games on Fox I get Cleveland Browns games. (I dont really want to watch either one of them but its a good example)

I either turn my gateway towards another tower or reboot. Its not really a fix but it gets me back on track.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I believe this is inherently part of the cellular connection network. When I first started using T Mobile internet connection, it showed I was in the Philadelphia area, it was messing with my YouTube TV. I live in the Cincinnati area. YouTube can set your location for their service, just follow the directions. YouTube shows me in Cincinnati now. That doesn’t fix where I’m connected for other services though. Now I show being connected in Detroit with my T Mobile connection. I’m not sure why other streaming services can’t figure this out. By the way I don’t experience the issue when searching for places near me, initially I did, but recently I believe big brother Google has locked on to my location. Even when using Duck Duck Go they can locate my area when the app asks me if deny letting them using location, it will show me restaurants in Detroit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Internet addresses don’t have an inherent location. Google’s ability to guess your location from your IP address is based on the way that cable and DSL ISPs have historically organized their networks. It’s Google that’s broken, not T-Mobile.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Internet addresses don’t have an inherent location. Google’s ability to guess your location from your IP address is based on the way that cable and DSL ISPs have historically organized their networks. It’s Google that’s broken, not T-Mobile.

I guess what I meant by inherent was the cellular connection could connect wherever they decide you connect( over simplification) . I wasn’t trying to imply that Detroit would be it, sorry. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The gateway doesn't have any geolocation functions. Perhaps, if you find a router that has a GPS built in, that will resolve your issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have found this to be the most accurate

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

I have the same problem, I live in Cincinnati, Oh and google searches near me show Columbus, Oh or Philadelphia, Pa , or it could be anywhere.  When I am streaming with Roku, it thinks I am either in Cleveland, Oh or Detroit, Mi and get the “local”  comercials. I tried to watch NHL game the other night streaming using Roku and ESPN+, showed game was blacked-out in my area.  Again, it thought I was streaming from Detroit area.

I have contacted T-mobile wireless internet support (what a misnomer), said that they are aware of the problem.  I don’t know if they can fix the issue or if they will even try.

Does anybody know if Verizon wireless internet has the same issues?  I looked into Starry, but no service in Cincinnati area.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

This is a problem for those of us with DIRECTV Stream. I get 20 streams from my DirecTV home location, but every time I have to restart my Gateway (24 times in the past 7 weeks) DirecTV thinks I have moved. I can reset my home location for DirecTV twice in a year, and after that I can only access two streams. I know this is not T-Mobile’s fault, but streamers need to know this.

This is a problem for those of us with DIRECTV Stream. I get 20 streams from my DirecTV home location, but every time I have to restart my Gateway (24 times in the past 7 weeks) DirecTV thinks I have moved. I can reset my home location for DirecTV twice in a year, and after that I can only access two streams. I know this is not T-Mobile’s fault, but streamers need to know this.

Ouch!  Is this still the case?  We have T-Mobile Home 5G Internet, and we’re not happy with YouTube TV, because the expanded streaming with their 4K Plus option is not compatible with the T-Mobile IPv6 protocol.  So we’re thinking very seriously of switching to DirecTV Stream.

And now you’re telling me that DirecTV Stream doesn’t work properly with T-Mobile 5G Home Internet either!  Are we going to have to dump T-Mobile and switch our Internet provider back to Spectrum to get a web provider that plays nice with these streaming services?????

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Still a problem, but we only use 2 at a time, and we remember to log out when we stop watching on one device. Even so, it is the stupidest thing with DirecTV. 

Still a problem, but we only use 2 at a time, and we remember to log out when we stop watching on one device. Even so, it is the stupidest thing with DirecTV. 

Well, that’s a complete non-starter for us.  There are five of us living together, and three of us travel a lot.  So that’s a deal-killer.  One of the greatest strengths of both YouTube TV and DirecTV Stream for us and we can’t take advantage of 

EITHER SERVICE

on T-Mobile.  This bites.  Time to get another web provider.  This is ridiculous.

On the flip side this actually helps me because then I can watch my in market games that are usually blacked out on MLB TV They think I'm in Detroit so I get to watch my local team..im near Pittsburgh... Also My smart TV doesn't have GPS. It relies on the IP address of my gateway I believe... So sometime one man's bug is another man's feature