Question

T-Mobile home internet unstable with online meetings

• 16 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I've been a home internet customer for about 4 months. I'm in a rural area with no other real options. The service works well with streaming video. But I have major issues with Zoom, Teams, Skype, Facetime and other realtime meeting tools. The audio/video cut out every few minutes. I've noticed, while doing speed testing, that my data speed periodically hits zero every few minutes then returns to normal speed. It isn't noticable with video streaming, I assume because there is a buffer for a few seconds. This issue makes working from home difficult since I must attend online meetings. My current solution is to use my Verizon cell phone hotspot during each meeting. T-Mobile support keeps telling me the "tower is being upgraded". For 4 months!? Any suggestions for settings changes would be appreciated. FYI - I have the white box router not the newer grey "trash can".

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hmm, that is quite some time to have upgrades going on, but there are some cases where updates can take longer than we originally plan. If you haven’t already, you can file a Trouble Ticket with our Tech Care team to have engineers check our your area to see if that’s still the case. Or, they can give you updates on your existing ticket if you filed one before. 

Badge

Hmm, that is quite some time to have upgrades going on, but there are some cases where updates can take longer than we originally plan. If you haven’t already, you can file a Trouble Ticket with our Tech Care team to have engineers check our your area to see if that’s still the case. Or, they can give you updates on your existing ticket if you filed one before. 

I called to have a trouble ticket created and was told I already had one in place from a previous call. Ticket number 36448520

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In rural areas T-Mobile is dependent on their limited low-band spectrum for long-range service. This may provide adequate download capability (e.g. video streaming, i.e. Netflix) but very limited upload capability. Video conferencing, like Zoom, Jitsi, Skype, etc. require both download and upload speeds.

If you live in a covered area, you might want to look into StarLink.

I have to video conference for work, zoom/teams/go to meeting, and we use Zoom as our VoIP program and I am constantly having people tell me I cut out or froze. It is intermittent but very frustrating! I have tried talking to support and was told the tower is down in my area. Is is down forever because this has been happening for 7 months. I am at a loss for what to do as no other provider but satellite is available in my area, not even Star Link. A solution would be wonderful.