Question

Unable to use T-Mobile Home Internet with work VPN, any suggestions?

Show first post

119 replies

Just a heads up for others…
I 1’st noticed my issue under Cisco Anyconnect VPN on 1/26 and was resolved on 1/29 with a reboot of the gateway (Sagemcom). The issue has returned and disabling IPv6 did not resolve. The WiFi network I have hanging off of the gateway (Linksys MX4200) does not allow blocking specific ports. Using the mobile hotspot from my cell as a temp workaround, while much slower, does not resolve the issue. I’m still unable to connect to my apps. Calling support...

I had similar issue with Palo Alto Global Protect VPN since last few days. Tried various options and spend lot of time with the customer rep but didn’t help. The solution which I found was reducing the Palo Alto Global Protect Ethernet Adapter MTU size from 1400 to 1360. After that it started working. After the update it goes back to 1400 and we would need to change it back to 1360. Hope this helps.

After a week of zero connectivity over VPN for work, finally figured out that it was the modem and not the laptop. All kinds of weird error messages. Spoke with Tech Support yesterday for 45 minutes and they did a “Realignment” of my modem. Well, at 630am this morning, same issue so the fix was only temporary. Spoke with Tech Support again and this time was informed that the problem was with the type of modem. Apparently, the “Arcadyan” modem will work with VPNs. 

My company uses Cisco AnyConnect VPN. I’ve been having all the same issues mentioned in this thread and gone down the IT rabbit hole trying to remedy this issue. Finally found a knowledgeable T-Mobile technician that explained if personal or work VPN or systems are operating on IPv4 then you need to go into your T-Mobile home internet app > select network > click “+” to add network > name network > create password > select 2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” > then save the new network and connect. Worked out my VPN issues and my security cameras are working now.  

Thanks for this. I followed the same steps and i am now able to connect to VPN at work. 👍🏽

My company uses Cisco AnyConnect VPN. I’ve been having all the same issues mentioned in this thread and gone down the IT rabbit hole trying to remedy this issue. Finally found a knowledgeable T-Mobile technician that explained if personal or work VPN or systems are operating on IPv4 then you need to go into your T-Mobile home internet app > select network > click “+” to add network > name network > create password > select 2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” > then save the new network and connect. Worked out my VPN issues and my security cameras are working now.  

Thanks for this. I followed the same steps and i am now able to connect to VPN at work. 👍🏽

Yes, we use Cisco Any Connect for VPN also. Actually tried the 2.4 band yesterday and it didn’t work at all...same connectivity issue. 

I got it resolved by swapping out the Sagemcom and getting the Arcadyan device. Based on the timing of the other comments it seems like it was the latest firmware update that broke all VPN access. My tech support was clueless about the issue, she just said “oh yeah VPN doesn’t work at all.” I told her it was working for 6 months without issue and she had nothing to say to that. Thankfully I found this thread about trying a different manufacturer. So far the Arcadyan is working but its like 30% slower. We’ll see how long this lasts before they push out another destructive update.

We use GlobalProtect and the MTU adjustment was only a temporary fix because every time I reconnected to the VPN the MTU reset itself to 1400. Need admin level to change the MTU so I couldn’t do that every single time. Another work around was attaching a router to the gateway and changing the MTU in the router settings. Even though it connected, it was constantly briefly disconnecting so my large data files kept failing to transfer. If you can deal with these problems then the swap may not be necessary for you.

The first post here is quoted with this…”T-Mobile's primary service called "5G Broadband" is not true wire-to-site broadband.  While Cisco AnyConnect can work over 5G and other wireless connections,”…..HUGE LIE!!!! T-Mobile 5G Home Internet does NOT work with Cisco AnyConnect VPN which is what my company uses. Ive been going round and round with my company IT and T-Mobile IT to no avail, both blaming each other and I’m stuck in the middle! T-Mobile tells me that I have the wrong gateway…ummm I told you EXACTLY what I needed service for including WFH on a VPN and they gave me the gateway  that would work! IT DOESNT!!!! I was begging them to send me the correct gateway overnight last night otherwise I will possibly lose my job, and I will cancel service….,, T-MOBILE DOES NOT GIVE!!! I have Verizon FIOS coming to install WORKING SERVICE on Saturday!!! 

2/16/2024: I did this and it worked for two weeks.  Now, it isn’t working again on 2.4 GHz.  Is T-Mobile trying to get me fired?

I’ve recently been told by work Information Services that I cannot use my work laptop with T-Mobile Home Internet.   Here is there response to my support request.

T-Mobile's primary service called "5G Broadband" is not true wire-to-site broadband.  While Cisco AnyConnect can work over 5G and other wireless connections, MTS does not recommend its usage unless absolutely necessary, and if you utilize a phone line such as Cisco Jabber call quality cannot be guaranteed.

The issue is that while 5G can provide broadband level speeds and bandwidth wireless solutions, such as 5G, have a higher tolerance for "packet loss."  Packet loss is when individual pieces of data are dropped/lost during transmission.  For most applications this is a minimal issue that 5G speeds may render unnoticeable, but a live connection, such as the AnyConnect VPN or Voice Over IP phone services, will experience connection degradation or be completely disconnected forcing you to reconnect.

This is not an issue MTS can mitigate.  For this reason the only recommended Internet service types are fully wired based connections including DSL, Broadband, Cable, and Fiber Optic services.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a way to work around this issue?  It does not need to be perfect, but being able to work from home is essential, and if I can’t use TMHI to do that… it would be a deal-breaker for me.

2/16/24 UPDATE - T-Mobile tech employee Kevin K. told me today on the phone that I will need to leave T-Mobile home Internet company if I need to work using a VPN (Cisco). Neither he nor the local T-Mobile store were aware of the widely known T-Mobile VPN issue, even as I read it aloud to them from their own site and other sites. After begging Kevin K to look into it, he found out about it, but was unable to follow the directions in his system to resolve it, and told me I would have to leave T-Mobile (for fiber Metronet, in my case). Please be aware that T-Mobile does not support customers needing to use a VPN! Just sorry it took me and my ITS folks four weeks to figure it out. Unfortunately, for me, it is for my job, otherwise, I was happy with T-Mobile.

Hi Everyone, 

This is something I posted in another T-Mobile forum a while back. After putting some research into this, I believe I have found a solution (at least one that worked for me).

PLEASE NOTE: PART OF MY SOLUTION IS USING MY OWN WIRELESS ROUTER ATTACHED VIA ETHERNET CABLE TO THE BACK OF MY HOTSPOT MODEM. THE INSTRUCTIONS I LEFT BELOW WILL NOT BE OF MUCH USE TO YOU IF YOU ARE NOT USING A WIRELESS ROUTER.

This does not require much tech-savviness as I found what I needed from a YouTube video and a little googling on how to access the settings I needed, which I’ll post a link to at the end of this. Basically, it’s the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) settings that T-Mobile uses. You don’t really have to know much about this other than how to find out how to change it, either on your computer or on your wireless router (if using a wireless connection). 

Most internet providers set their MTU size at 1500. This is more-or-less a standard most in the industry follow. From what I found, T-Mobile sets their MTU size at 1450. I’m not going to go into explanation on how this works; just know this is the problem. This tiny difference seems inconsequential, but can make or break your VPN connection. Unfortunately, it’s on us as the customers to find our own solution(s) to this problem. 

This YouTube link gave me the information on how to check my MTU settings and change them on a Windows PC. This is a solution specifically for if you want to only change the MTU Size on individual PC’s in your home. Ultimately, I did not change my MTU Size on my laptop, but the part of the video that helped me find the MTU Size was key to figuring this whole thing out. The link will take you directly a few seconds right before the spot you need to pay attention at begins:

I’m not a Mac user and am not experienced with using them, but this is a link for all y’all Apple fanatics that I found while I was searching for a reason for this problem. It was the first article I came across that set me on the path to figuring out how to change my MTU setting. Hope it helps:

https://amithkumarg.medium.com/resolved-t-mobile-home-internet-vpn-issue-2f5ca594c23e

And, lastly, I use a TP-Link Wireless router. This link is for TP-Link device owners and shows you how to change the MTU Size. There’s no way I can find links to all the different types out there. However every brand’s settings are easily searched on Google, so good hunting to you and good luck: 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1134/

I hope this helps some people. My issue is (self)resolved. 

Thank you, following that first YouTube video to lower the MTU seems to have helped me.

(Sagemcom modem, Cisco AnyConnect VPN)

Not sure if this mattered, my employer’s IT support also recommended unchecking “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” and “Client for Microsoft Networks” in the Windows properties of all network adapters (Wi-Fi, Ethernet and Cisco AnyConnect).

While the problem was ongoing, only HTTP (web pages) didn’t work under AnyConnect VPN, other protocols (MS Outlook, MS Teams, ping command) seemed to still work in VPN.

So far, for one hour after the configurations, the connectivity is holding.

I was having issues with our work GlobalProtect VPN after the newest Sagemcomm AC update got pushed out. My only solution was to head into a local T-Mobile store and have the gateway exchanged for an Arcadyan KVD21. This did solve my VPN connectivity issue. The Arcadyan does not perform as well as the Sagemcomm, which is the downside to switching to it. I have also confirmed that the G4SE gateway works with the GlobalProtect VPN.

I’ve recently been told by work Information Services that I cannot use my work laptop with T-Mobile Home Internet.   Here is there response to my support request.

T-Mobile's primary service called "5G Broadband" is not true wire-to-site broadband.  While Cisco AnyConnect can work over 5G and other wireless connections, MTS does not recommend its usage unless absolutely necessary, and if you utilize a phone line such as Cisco Jabber call quality cannot be guaranteed.

The issue is that while 5G can provide broadband level speeds and bandwidth wireless solutions, such as 5G, have a higher tolerance for "packet loss."  Packet loss is when individual pieces of data are dropped/lost during transmission.  For most applications this is a minimal issue that 5G speeds may render unnoticeable, but a live connection, such as the AnyConnect VPN or Voice Over IP phone services, will experience connection degradation or be completely disconnected forcing you to reconnect.

This is not an issue MTS can mitigate.  For this reason the only recommended Internet service types are fully wired based connections including DSL, Broadband, Cable, and Fiber Optic services.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a way to work around this issue?  It does not need to be perfect, but being able to work from home is essential, and if I can’t use TMHI to do that… it would be a deal-breaker for me.

Hi Everyone, 

This is something I posted in another T-Mobile forum a while back. After putting some research into this, I believe I have found a solution (at least one that worked for me).

PLEASE NOTE: PART OF MY SOLUTION IS USING MY OWN WIRELESS ROUTER ATTACHED VIA ETHERNET CABLE TO THE BACK OF MY HOTSPOT MODEM. THE INSTRUCTIONS I LEFT BELOW WILL NOT BE OF MUCH USE TO YOU IF YOU ARE NOT USING A WIRELESS ROUTER.

This does not require much tech-savviness as I found what I needed from a YouTube video and a little googling on how to access the settings I needed, which I’ll post a link to at the end of this. Basically, it’s the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) settings that T-Mobile uses. You don’t really have to know much about this other than how to find out how to change it, either on your computer or on your wireless router (if using a wireless connection). 

Most internet providers set their MTU size at 1500. This is more-or-less a standard most in the industry follow. From what I found, T-Mobile sets their MTU size at 1450. I’m not going to go into explanation on how this works; just know this is the problem. This tiny difference seems inconsequential, but can make or break your VPN connection. Unfortunately, it’s on us as the customers to find our own solution(s) to this problem. 

This YouTube link gave me the information on how to check my MTU settings and change them on a Windows PC. This is a solution specifically for if you want to only change the MTU Size on individual PC’s in your home. Ultimately, I did not change my MTU Size on my laptop, but the part of the video that helped me find the MTU Size was key to figuring this whole thing out. The link will take you directly a few seconds right before the spot you need to pay attention at begins:

I’m not a Mac user and am not experienced with using them, but this is a link for all y’all Apple fanatics that I found while I was searching for a reason for this problem. It was the first article I came across that set me on the path to figuring out how to change my MTU setting. Hope it helps:

https://amithkumarg.medium.com/resolved-t-mobile-home-internet-vpn-issue-2f5ca594c23e

And, lastly, I use a TP-Link Wireless router. This link is for TP-Link device owners and shows you how to change the MTU Size. There’s no way I can find links to all the different types out there. However every brand’s settings are easily searched on Google, so good hunting to you and good luck: 

THANK YOU! 

After troubling my company’s IT support for weeks, and them clean wiping my laptop and me getting everything set up all over again, I just realized that this is a t mobile issue. 

And this is the only solution thats working for me, an IPV4 connection did not help at all. 

The mtu that works best for me (my company’s VPN settings) is 1370, and my Cisco VPN shows up as utun4, I have to change the mtu for this. And I need to do that everytime I connect to my vpn, which is fine, I have set up shortcuts to do that on my mac. 

But it is very clear, Google’s speedtest didn’t even load for me on VPN and even when it does sometimes, I barely got 5Mbps. After the fix its as good as outside VPN (120Mbps down). 

Couple of things, 

1. Tmobile is DEFINITELY to blame for this, I don’t think its a “business decision” to “cut out all VPNs” like some have mentioned above, but someone messed up. The least they could do is allow us to change the MTU size, or to keep it simple, give an option “If your internet doesn’t work with your VPN, check this box” and just use a low enough MTU size somewhere in their app. They’ve completely locked us out of any settings possible. 
  2. The solution is not straightforward, it doesn’t work if you just change the mtu for the default wifi, and not everyone can use a same number. You will have to try the steps mentioned (I referred to the medium post) and figure out what number works out best for your company’s VPN. I’m guessing depending on the way its set up by your IT admins, even if its the same Cisco VPN, all of us have a different MTU that works best for us. 
  3. If you can’t do this yourself, get help from someone who would be able to understand and follow the medium article. The video just said “your interface name” which is wrong, I tried changing the setting for en0 (my default wifi interface) and it wouldn’t work. The medium article explains it well. Also, depending on your OS and things you have installed, you could have more than just one interface. I guess using a separate router for work would be the best automatic solution, I’ll try that soon. 

Hi Everyone, 

This completely resolved my problem. Thank you for documenting all that information and ever the bookmarked YouTube video. Thanks very much!! 

I have resolved my issue with not being able to connect to my work VPN working from home……VERIZON FIOS!!!

After an hour of going back and forth with Customer service reps and technicians, they gave me this solution.

T-Mobile home internet app > select network > click “+” to add network > name network > create password > select 2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” > then save the new network and connect.

The thing is it works but lagging like crazy, can't don't anything. I use Cisco AnyConnect as a requirement from the company and it has been a disaster since I switched from Spectrum to T-Mobile home Internet since the first week of February. Even after this thread, it seems like they still haven't come up with any better solution. I missed my Teams meetings and deadlines while I am working from home. I am on the brink of losing my job. I will wait until this weekend and if it doesn't work out, might as well get Spectrum back. Very frustrating.

Userlevel 1

After an hour of going back and forth with Customer service reps and technicians, they gave me this solution.

T-Mobile home internet app > select network > click “+” to add network > name network > create password > select 2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” > then save the new network and connect.

The thing is it works but lagging like crazy, can't don't anything. I use Cisco AnyConnect as a requirement from the company and it has been a disaster since I switched from Spectrum to T-Mobile home Internet since the first week of February. Even after this thread, it seems like they still haven't come up with any better solution. I missed my Teams meetings and deadlines while I am working from home. I am on the brink of losing my job. I will wait until this weekend and if it doesn't work out, might as well get Spectrum back. Very frustrating.

I tried this and it does not work for me.  My OpenVPN VPN connection still does not work.  With my other ISP VPN works fine.  It worked fine with T-Mobile Home Internet with the Sagemcom gateway a few weeks ago.  I assume it’s the 1.2AC firmware update that broken VPN.

Ran into the same issue today (Cisco AnyConnect VPN wasn’t working) and ran across this forum post. Called into TMobile internet tech support and spoke to someone who was knowlegeable about the issue. He said that this was a known issue for the Sagemcom manufactured routers but not for any other manufacturer. The only ones that he could order to ship to me as an exchange were the same manufacturer, but fortunately a TMobile store near me had a Nokia one that they were able to exchange super fast (I still had the original box for my non-working one). Got the Nokia one set up and successfully connected to my VPN!

Ran into the same issue today (Cisco AnyConnect VPN wasn’t working) and ran across this forum post. Called into TMobile internet tech support and spoke to someone who was knowlegeable about the issue. He said that this was a known issue for the Sagemcom manufactured routers but not for any other manufacturer. The only ones that he could order to ship to me as an exchange were the same manufacturer, but fortunately a TMobile store near me had a Nokia one that they were able to exchange super fast (I still had the original box for my non-working one). Got the Nokia one set up and successfully connected to my VPN!

Is it still working?

Let me first say that I’ve been a T-Mobile fan boy ever since I signed up.  

When I first got TMHI, it worked like a champ.  My wife logs into PaloAlto GlobalProtect everyday. Worked.  Worked better than my previous fiber connection which seemed to need too many reboots to work, which is why I moved to unwired internet.

Then out of the blue, VPN stopped working, but EVERYTHING else still worked.  Naturally, I thought it was the VPN issue. Called into TM support, and was told it was an issue between GlobalProtect and TMobile and that they were working on it with no ETA.

I started Googling the issue and found that there were numerous complaints about the same problem in this community. I tried everything that has been suggested with little success.  The most success I had was yesterday.  I decided to factory reset my Sagemcom. When it got to the part when the app asked me to update, I closed the app.  I checked the connection to the VPN and to my surprise, everything worked.  Outlook, TEAMS, the internet, and everything else my wife logs into. It worked for about 4 hours.  Unfortunately for me, I had posted on another thread about what I did to get it to work and what I thought about TMobile’s culpability about it.

After about 3 hours after I posted about it on the other thread, the troubles started again. Not only with the gateway, but my Linksys mesh network connected to it, which was a first. It’s possible that my Linksys issue is a coincidence.

So, I’ve got opinions. LOL. First, I think it’s pretty repugnant that TMobile would let us sway in the wind like this.  They have known that the update they pushed to our gateways caused the VPN connection issue. I suspect it’s gotta be a business decision.  They probably didn’t foresee how many users were going to use their service to connect to their work VPN servers.  There must be a great amount of data that is being used. If it was the VPN companies issue, why was I able to login to their network and use it flawlessly for so long? When I did start having trouble, there was a message on the gateway stating that there was a problem and to reboot? Also, I imagine that a T-Mobile moderator cruises these threads and I may have opened myself up to a targeted whatever you wanna call it. Again, I could be reaching.

Anyway, I’m very disappointed in how TMobile has dealt with this. I don’t like being lied to. If they had any intention to fixing the issue, they would have pushed a firmware patch weeks ago. I do not buy the “we didn’t know” or “we just found out and we’re trying to fix it” pitch. 

Good luck to the rest of you.  I moving on to a different provider. 

2024-02-28: After working with my work IT folks for a month, finding out about this known issue with T-mobile/Global Protect and reading this thread, I called T-Mobile to report the problem and potentially threaten to leave the service. Service rep Keisha found some information and said it had been fixed two days ago. She had me unplug the combination modem/router from the wall, wait a couple of minutes while she did something, then plug it back in. Once it was up, she had me try the VPN again, and IT WORKED. So I recommend calling T-Mobile and telling them what you read here. 

2024-02-28: After working with my work IT folks for a month, finding out about this known issue with T-mobile/Global Protect and reading this thread, I called T-Mobile to report the problem and potentially threaten to leave the service. Service rep Keisha found some information and said it had been fixed two days ago. She had me unplug the combination modem/router from the wall, wait a couple of minutes while she did something, then plug it back in. Once it was up, she had me try the VPN again, and IT WORKED. So I recommend calling T-Mobile and telling them what you read here. 

Thank you for posting on here today.  I just got off the phone with a repair rep and he supposedly did the same for me.  We are connected, but I’ll reserve judgment for the next few days.  I’ve got a Verizon gateway on the way and after all this, if it’s working correctly, I won’t have to take it out of the box.

Thanks again.

I’m glad I found this thread. As of the same date everyone here is having issues, I am as well.

I use these under a business account for multiple locations and I currently have 3 deployed.

As of the same date of you issues, end of January 2024, two of the lines started having problems. VPN does not work to connect to critical cable systems I need to maintain, and one line is throttled to 0.01mbps with low usage, and I’ve tried the SIM in enterprise cell modems and other tmo boxes, same throttling.

So since late Jan 2024, lines are being throttled with low usage for no reason and OVPN, Wireguard, and oither VPNs no longer work.

Also issues with streaming services for no reason.

I guess I’m switching away. I wondered if $55/month unlimited on a cell network was too good to be true. I liked how it was impervious to utility and power failures with a battery backup but I’ll have to use other carriers with an enterprise modem instead.

I’m glad I found this thread. As of the same date everyone here is having issues, I am as well.

I use these under a business account for multiple locations and I currently have 3 deployed.

As of the same date of you issues, end of January 2024, two of the lines started having problems. VPN does not work to connect to critical cable systems I need to maintain, and one line is throttled to 0.01mbps with low usage, and I’ve tried the SIM in enterprise cell modems and other tmo boxes, same throttling.

So since late Jan 2024, lines are being throttled with low usage for no reason and OVPN, Wireguard, and oither VPNs no longer work.

I guess I’m switching away. I wondered if $55/month unlimited on a cell network was too good to be true. I liked how it was impervious to utility and power failures with a battery backup but I’ll have to use other carriers with an enterprise modem instead.

Go ahead and call in to repair and have them do a reset on your account.  So far, so good, but it’s only been an hour. Hah. I hope others see this thread also.  It’s been a tough month.

Go ahead and call in to repair and have them do a reset on your account.  So far, so good, but it’s only been an hour. Hah. I hope others see this thread also.  It’s been a tough month.

What exactly does an “account reset” do? LOL

Sorry. I knew that was going to sound funky. Basically a refresh on your line, port, whatever it is that makes your line "your" line. I'm not hip on the IT lingo. I'm old school POTS guy. LOL.