Solved

VPN issues, some work related programs won’t load

• 19 January 2024
  • 28 replies

Badge

We had a big snow storms a few days ago and started having VPN connection issues. It was working fine until then. My company uses a IPSEC VPN and allow us to work remotely.  When I’m home I’m unable to use the VPN on my T-Mobile home WiFi connection. When I use other internet connections such as my work mobile Verizon hotspot, I can connect and VPN works. My companies IT support staff have checked my settings and went over my laptop and found no issues. Could you please someone help me to resolve the issues? 
I did rebooted and still didn’t work. Thank you for your help!

icon

Best answer by kelvs 20 January 2024, 16:40

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@ALocke , while checking the TM forums, I came across the following. While the customer uses Cisco, the correction procedure is the same - create a network, select 2.4 GHz, and select WPA for security.  

My company uses Cisco AnyConnect VPN. I’ve been having all the same issues mentioned in this thread and gone down the IT rabbit hole trying to remedy this issue. Finally found a knowledgeable T-Mobile technician that explained if personal or work VPN or systems are operating on IPv4 then you need to go into your T-Mobile home internet app > select network > click “+” to add network > name network > create password > select 2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” > then save the new network and connect. Worked out my VPN issues and my security cameras are working now.  

Let us know how it works. 

Exact same situation here. Last week was the storm. Everything was working perfectly fine then the day after the storm, VPN is an issue up to now. T-Mobile rep is no help. 

Tried the suggestion:

2.4 GHz, and select WPA - Did not work for me 

2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” -  Did not work for me 

I might end up switching Internet promptly because it's an issue especially when you work remotely.

I’ll search around if I can find other tips 

Badge

Hi, 

After I posted my comment on this forum, I tried WiFi Gateway reset a few times again  (I reset on the Gateway kit as well) from T-Mobile Internet app and it worked finally, everything is back to normal now. I had a notification for the tower maintenance after the bad weather, so not sure if related or just a timing issue. 

@ALocke , while checking the TM forums, I came across the following. While the customer uses Cisco, the correction procedure is the same - create a network, select 2.4 GHz, and select WPA for security.  

My company uses Cisco AnyConnect VPN. I’ve been having all the same issues mentioned in this thread and gone down the IT rabbit hole trying to remedy this issue. Finally found a knowledgeable T-Mobile technician that explained if personal or work VPN or systems are operating on IPv4 then you need to go into your T-Mobile home internet app > select network > click “+” to add network > name network > create password > select 2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” > then save the new network and connect. Worked out my VPN issues and my security cameras are working now.  

I'm also a WFH Cisco VPN user. I didn't add the network - Under Frequency Band instead of selecting 2.4 GHz, I selected Automatic, hit Save... Tada! I'm back in business. Hopefully that keeps me connected and maybe helps others? 

But after a week of calls with tech support here and work IT folks stumped, not being able to do my bleeping job - I'm DONE. I'll be switching to the provider that rhymes with horizon. I don't like them either, but several WFH friends say they're more reliable. 

I'm also a WFH Cisco VPN user. I didn't add the network - Under Frequency Band instead of selecting 2.4 GHz, I selected Automatic, hit Save... Tada! I'm back in business. Hopefully that keeps me connected and maybe helps others? 

But after a week of calls with tech support here and work IT folks stumped, not being able to do my bleeping job - I'm DONE. I'll be switching to the provider that rhymes with horizon. I don't like them either, but several WFH friends say they're more reliable. 

But after a week of getting nowhere with tech support here and with work IT, I've had it - switching to provider that rhymes with horizon. 

Userlevel 1

I’m one of the many who has had VPN issues since roughly 19Jan2024. I currently use (or DID use) a Meraki z3 for VLan connection and Cisco Anyconnect as a backup if the Meraki network on my work’s side went down.  

I can no longer connect via the Meraki and Cisco Anyconnect’s VPN speed is slow at 10/2 while connected. 80/20 when not connected to a VPN 

I have searched reddit and these forums, have attempted every work around thus far, and nothing. 

What ever updates T-Mobile did on the back end better be resolved soon before they start having their users drop service in droves. Work From Home is still quite popular, regardless of what CEOs want. 

the suggested solution worked for one day, and now connectivity issues are back. cannot use cisco anyconnect for work with this t mobile set up, and support is zero help. resetting the gateway is not a solution, t-mobile! we need an explanation

Hello,

I can now use Cisco AnyConnect.  Is this resolved?

Hello,

I can now use Cisco AnyConnect.  Is this resolved?

No.

Exact same situation here. Last week was the storm. Everything was working perfectly fine then the day after the storm, VPN is an issue up to now. T-Mobile rep is no help. 

Tried the suggestion:

2.4 GHz, and select WPA - Did not work for me 

2.4 GHz band > select WPA/WPA2 > WPA “TKIP & AES” -  Did not work for me 

I might end up switching Internet promptly because it's an issue especially when you work remotely.

I’ll search around if I can find other tips 

Didn’t work for me either. And, no storm involved. T-Mobile did something w/ their network and ended up F’ing many of us who work from home. It’s most definitely on their end. Take from someone who’s already been there, done that it has nothing to do w/ your work VPN. 

Can also confirm I can no longer connect to work VPN’s, started happening about 20 days ago as well. I’ve tried every suggestion online, with changing MTU, 2.4ghz, nothing really works anymore. And its not just exclusive to T-Mobile Internet users, it’s happening for me on my iPhone Hotspot.

If I get assigned a 169.x.x address, it works fine, if I have a 172.x.x address, it does not. That is the only correlation so far that I have noticed when it sometimes works.

Thank you. I’m out as of today. Checked here one more time before calling AT&T to get internet through them. I cannot tolerate another minute of T-Mobile not having corrected this. Actually I’m giving them one more chance 1st and calling to see if I get one of the honest and decent reps to find me the correct modem needed. That IS the only fix other than moving on to another company. 

Called TMOBILE this morning; they said a resolution still wasn’t found to fix the issue. Instructed me to check with my IT department to change VPN, I work for a power company they aren’t going to just change something because TMOBILE can’t get their stuff working. Promptly told them to send me a return label for their box and cancel my service; hate to since it is faster than what I did have but what I did have at least worked with my work computer/vpn.

I’ve had this same problem for a month now. My IT department couldn’t help and after reading about the problems others were having, I realized it WAS my internet service provider. I’ve tried resetting, rebooting, and other solutions that I could find in this forum and online but nothing has worked consistently. Still had intermittent problems. Then this morning, my gateway had an error code saying there was something wrong (no kidding!). Finally, called again this morning and the customer care technician said that he was aware of the problem and the only thing he could offer was that I could swap out my gateway for a different model. To his credit, he did find a model different from the one I originally had at a store that wasn’t too far from me and helped to coordinate the swap. It seems to be working for now but I’m still wary. Will report back to let you know the results one way or the other.

Hope there is a solid solution soon. For everything else, T-Mobile works great. However, it’s the ability for me to be able to do my job in a reliable and consistent fashion that is the most important.  If this doesn’t work, I will have to switch to a different internet service provider.

Can you tell me what the model of the different gateway is? When I asked yesterday if there was another gateway to try, my customer service rep told me there wasn’t.  I hate switching because it’s cheaper than what I had before and faster. However if I can’t work from home when needed that doesn’t help.   
thanks for your comment! 

I had the same issue with VPN 3 weeks ago. It resolved but came back last week. I had tried everything from my company IT people. I called T-Mobile and the rep told me that there is a known issue with the Sagemcom and VPN. They are working on a fix but had no timeframe. I asked about changing my gateway to another model which is an option but only the Sagemcom are at local stores for me.  

Can you tell me what the model of the different gateway is? When I asked yesterday if there was another gateway to try, my customer service rep told me there wasn’t.  I hate switching because it’s cheaper than what I had before and faster. However if I can’t work from home when needed that doesn’t help.   
thanks for your comment! 

Hi,

You’re welcome. I was a little hesitant to post because I’m not sure this will work.

The model number is KVD21. And the HW version is R01.

So far so good this morning. But again, since the problem is intermittent, I’ll have to give it some time to see if this really does work.

I’m using the Sagemcom Fast 5688W. I’ve had no issues since staring with them last April until January which seems to coincide with the 1.2.AC firmware update. Last week I was told that model has a known issue with VPN. Today I given the impression, by a rep, that it is more of a T-Mobile problem and not just with the Sagemcom and to try the Arcadyan KVD21. If that doesn’t work find another ISP. I’m using Cisco AnyConnect which I think is pretty common. How T-Mobile has problems with their gateways and AnyConnect is not very assuring. Fortunately I have at least 3 other ISP options at my house, not a luxury most people have. I am also able to hotspot from my work phone but that is not a good long-term solution. 

Called TMOBILE this morning; they said a resolution still wasn’t found to fix the issue. Instructed me to check with my IT department to change VPN, I work for a power company they aren’t going to just change something because TMOBILE can’t get their stuff working. Promptly told them to send me a return label for their box and cancel my service; hate to since it is faster than what I did have but what I did have at least worked with my work computer/vpn.

What jerks they are. Trying to pin it on everyone’s VPN! It took me about 6 calls to reps after they knew there was a problem. The ONLY fix right now is to get their new modem. It’s white, I don’t recall the name but if you backtrack in this thread you’ll find it posted twice. Once w/ pic. They have a very limited supply and most reps will tell you they have no way of getting one for you. It’s literally a game of keep calling until you get the rep who will help you and send you one. It’s not your VPN & they know it! Perhaps that’s what they tell everyone on 1st call just to put you off for awhile. I desperately didn’t want to change as it had worked perfectly for over a year until this BS started on 1/22/24. If you want to go back demand getting the white modem. Again you’ll have to backtrack here to find the name of it. Mine didn’t have the name on the box or device but it is white and it did fix the problem. 

Userlevel 1

Have the Sagemcom FAST 5688W.

Thanks.  Will be trying to get the new Arcadyan gateway.

Userlevel 1
Sagemcom FAST 5688W

Until a couple weeks ago working perfectly. My wife and I work from home and are now unable to connect to our corporate VPNs. Needless to say if this issue is not fixed very soon we will be canceling our T-Mobile home internet.

thanks for your comment! 

Hi,

You’re welcome. I was a little hesitant to post because I’m not sure this will work.

The model number is KVD21. And the HW version is R01.

So far so good this morning. But again, since the problem is intermittent, I’ll have to give it some time to see if this really does work.

I just wanted to provide an update. Since switching to the Arcadyan KVD21 I have not experienced any more issues. Will report here if that should change.

I’m having the same issue with VPN and not being able to work from home because of this issue.  I contacted T-Mobile and received a lot of the same responses already mentioned with no solution.  It started about 2 months ago and will not be able to work from home until it is resolved or I switch to another provider.  

My company also uses the Cisco VPN, and I’m seeing the same issue here that everyone else has described. I have the newer FAST 5688W modem which has almost zero configuration.  I have IPv6 off, MTU set at 1280, I’ve reset the modem and seen zero improvement.  The only additional information I’d add is I experienced the same issues with Starlink, but not until recently… so maybe it is the Cisco VPN? I have zero options to adjust any settings on AnyConnect, all locked down.

I followed the steps from this website. Now I can connect to my vpn using t-mobile hotspot.  Hope the issue will go away forever.

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/vpn-connections-not-working-t-mobile-heres-how-fix