Solved

Can't connect to Gateway on my laptop anymore

• 9 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am beyond frustrated.  I was using the TMOBILE Gateway up to three days ago.  Now my 2015 Dell no longer recognizes it.  I wasted almost two hours on texts and phone with Tmobile staff yesterday to no avail.

I have read through numerous comments in this community and do not understand most of them.  I am unable to find things that are suggested on my computer.  I have run various troubleshooters a million times.

All my other devices see Tmobile.  And I have no trouble using HughesNet, which I am paying for as a backup internet service.

I work from home and this problem is driving me nuts.

I’m also 69 years old and have not kept up with technology changes.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions in plain English?  And, btw, I’m running Windows 10

Thank you SO much!  

icon

Best answer by iTinkeralot 9 July 2022, 17:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  1. Press the Windows Start Key on the keyboard
  2. Type “wire” (to search and have the Wi-Fi (wireless settings) then press enter
  3. Select “Show available networks”
  4. Select the WiFi network that you need to use.
  5. Next you are prompted for the security key. (enter the security key)
  6. You can select “Yes” to allow other devices on your network to see your client.
  7. Your client should be connected. (maybe you have been here already) :-)

If for some reason it fails there might be a problem with the driver software for the wireless network adapter. If your Dell has an Ethernet port on it you could use an Ethernet cable and plug the Dell in direct to the gateway with an Ethernet cable. If you use an Ethernet cable then your Dell should be able to obtain an IP address from the gateway and you should be then able to get to the internet and check for updates. 

On the subject of updates. It might be possible that the client received updates from Microsoft and needs to be rebooted. I have seen clients have issues when updates are pending. If you have not rebooted the Dell try that first and just see if it then proceeds to go into installing updates or just allows you to login. You did state a few days ago. I know patch Tuesday from MS is not until the second Tuesday of the month so that should not be the case here but a reboot would not hurt. If you have not rebooted the Dell for quite some time it might be due for one.

Badge

Thank you very much. I am dictating on my phone because my laptop is once again rebooting. I very much appreciate you taking the time to help but my t-Mobile device has stopped showing up on my list of wireless networks and I have tried everything you have suggested between six and 10 times are ready between yesterday and today and several T-Mobile staff people. I am supposed to call a Dell support desk next and I plan to do that a little later today. I have no problem at all logging into the Internet on my HughesNet wireless service, and I have HughesNet because I needed a back up for T-Mobile. Before I completely lost connection with the T-Mobile device I would have no connectivity every morning. All my other devices, such as the cell phone, have no trouble whatsoever seeing the T-Mobile device and connecting. The problem is soleywith the laptop and I have  and I have tried everything and anything for ours an hours, starting at 1:30 AM this morning. Thank you again

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So, your wireless adapter is working and DOES connect to the HughsNet network just fine. Since you are not having a failing wireless network adapter it is probably a driver issue with the Dell adapter. My guess is the adapter is not working will with the newer wireless protocol the T-Mobile gateway uses. The HughesNet probably does not use 802.11ax it probably uses 802.11ac or the prior 802.11n wireless protocol version. Sorry to put tech terms out there but it can’t be helped.

One way to work around such an issue is to get a newer USB wireless adapter that does support the newer wireless solutions. I had a similar issue with my older laptop and bought a USB adapter that has a newer chipset and drivers. You can argue with the OLD adapter all you want but it would probably be much simpler to just go to BestBuy or Amazon etc… and buy a Windows 10 compatible USB wireless adapter that supports 802.11ax. That is the same wireless version that the T-Mobile gateways use. You would have improved security and have driver updates due to the newer chips. The problem would be solved in a fraction of the time you spend fighting with the 7 year old adapter.

You would have nothing to lose to try it. If you buy one on Amazon and it does not work you can just sent it back. Problem solved or try another one. If you do the same thing expect the same results.