Solved

Forced to enter additional digits after dialing an international call

• 23 August 2017
  • 34 replies

Recently we added the Unlimited Stateside International calling plan to all of our business lines. Then, starting last week whenever we make an international call we get a recording that says "to complete your call please dial XX" where XX is some random two digit number.  I looked this up and found on this page: Make an international call which says, "

Things you should know

When calling some countries, you may hear an automated message prompting you to enter a random digit between 0 and 9 in order to complete the call. T-Mobile added this extra step to help prevent fraud, and it's only needed when calling certain international locations."

Of course we were not advised of this when we added the Stateside International Calling feature and to make matters worse it's not just to "certain international locations"- its on EVERY international call.

Over 90% of our international calls are to the UK and the UK is hardly a high fraud calling destination

This is causing a lot of distress for our users. And TMobile should take the same approach other carriers take- use surveillance software to detect fraud and unusual calling patters and put the recording on those accounts and not just on every international call from every phone.

We need to get this removed ASAP from all of our lines or at the minimum for calls to the UK ad EU. These are not high fraud destinations.

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 26 August 2017, 18:40

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 3

Hey there!

Welcome to our Support Community! Having to dial extra digits just to initiate an international call can be frustrating and I'm sorry it's causing distress to users. This is a feature that cannot be disabled at this time but the request for the option has been forwarded.

You may request to remove this feature through T-Mobile Customer Care (1-800-937-8997 or 611 from T-Mobile phone). It may take 5-7 days to take effect if approved.

Hi- take a look at the reply from the TMO rep above where she says "This is a feature that cannot be disabled at this time but the request for the option has been forwarded.".

What makes you think then that I can call C/S and get it disabled? I did call them and they said the same thing that Amada said above...so if you know any secrets I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Amanda thanks for your reply. I have to be honest and tell you that Tmobile putting this on our account w/out any advance notice and having it activate on all international calls rather than just "some countries" as stated on your FAQ is very annoying, disappointing and frankly unprofessional. I'm considering moving my 6 lines back to AT&T if you want to know the truth.  As stated in my earlier message, I'd completely understand if this were to come on to calls with high fraud issues (like Africa and some parts of Asia), but to the UK and EU? That's just absurd.  Also since the call is originating on a TMO handset that's registered on the TMO network- what kind of fraud is TMO protecting against. Is this an admission by TMO that their network is not secure and that digital handsets can be compromised?  Not good...

Userlevel 2

Is yours a business account or a family type account?

Well yeah I was pretty much saying that you can request but it's not a guarantee removal. So no hidden secrets here sorry about that.

Userlevel 3

I'd really be bummed to see you leave over this policy. I understand that it takes a few more seconds to make a call and that you don't agree with how it's set-up. Trust me, the feedback has been passed along to be able to remove this feature at the account owner's request.

Userlevel 2

Amanda -

IF user makes calls to many of the same numbers - those numbers are programmed into user's phone as a speed dial.  Having to enter 2 more digits means he/she has to bring up a dial pad.  (Not just click on contact's name.)

We only make a few intl. calls FROM U.S. - and just have phones programmed to route all intl. calls (except Canada/Mexico) via Google Voice.  One cent/min. to many countries.  We have made use of the 20cent/min calling from intl. locations.   (and free calling to U.S. when on wifi).

I am seriously considering switching four phone and iPad lines due to the additional digit entry.  T-mobile has a way for customers to block their accounts from making international calls if they choose not to use this feature.  In case T-mobile forgot, I am paying for this service.  I don't want, need, nor asked to have additional fraud prevention added to my phone.  I consistently call the same international numbers and I consistently have to enter the two digits.  This is unsafe while dialing with handsfree in my car.  I either have to pick up my phone, unlock, and enter the code or I have to go through the menus in my car.  Neither are safe while driving.
I asked T-mobile to discount my bill due to the additional time I have to waste every week adding in their new codes and they declined.  I spent about an hour on the phone arguing to have this service taken off my line, which was also declined.  The girl was very rude and transferred me to tech support with no information so I had to reverify my entire account with the second guy.

This is very clearly a T-mobile problem with fraudulent calls but instead of T-mobile handling it themselves, they make their customers problem. 

Userlevel 2

You can set most (all?) phones to automatically route intl. calls via Google Voice.  I don't know, but wouldn't this be cheaper?  

Obviously, TM shouldn't make you do this.

That's great when you're on wifi or have five bars of LTE but when I'm driving or traveling without wifi I need to be able to place calls.  We use WhatsApp but all those apps need fast data.

Userlevel 2

I agree that TM should allow, w.o. restrictions, the ability to make intl. calls.

BTW, we used Google Voice before LTE came into existence for intl. voice calls.

Userlevel 3

I hear you guys. An extra minute adds up! I want to be transparent that I'm not certain if this is an actionable request, because typically measures taken for "security" are reasoned over long and hard before they're implemented. That said, your feedback is super valuable and we will pass it on. We always appreciate knowing how our customers feel about things, and like to avoid eye-pokes wherever possible, so thanks for chiming in!

I can only share users level of frustration at this measure being added without any notice - even your stores and customer care staff had no idea about it - it's not a matter of the added time it is completely ridiculous and if the UK is such a fraud hot spot (I am a Brit living in the US !!!) then why is it not added to main line UK based numbers?? Completely ridiculous. I have been a very happy customer for 6+ years but failure to remove this feature SOON will have me and my family looking for another provider

Userlevel 2

I'd like to know HOW the bad guys can route a call over someone else's phone line.   Do they show up on the legitimate user's bill?

Business

This is not only annoying, it presents a safety issue, when being prompted to enter 2 digits while driving and trying to make international calls in handsfree mode.

I'm a new T-mobile customer and make frequent international calls while driving to/from work. This has been a frustrating and sometimes dangerous "feature", and has no bearing on fraud prevention. I was with AT&T for 10+ years before switching recently, and never had this issue.

Userlevel 2

As I mentioned several months ago in this thread - couldn't you use Google voice to route international calls?    Or, do you have an international calling package? In any case, TM should not be doing this.

Yes, I have an international calling package. And no, I should not have to use Google voice to make international calls with T-mobile.

I am having the same problem since the end of October 2018 and it is costing me extra. Please see details of my issue below---

Hi, I've been having a problem dialing international numbers in the Caribbean (in Miami). Since the end of October, whenever I dial a number in the Caribbean, I get a message that comes on saying "to complete this call, please dial 34" (for example). It's always the same message with the two numbers at the end changing with each new call. The problem is that it blocks me from making a direct call (though I am dialing properly) and still charges me for the time it takes to the play the message and ring the number BEFORE the number has even connected. At other times it just drops the call after playing the message and you dial the two numbers as directed. Can someone help? I've been given the run-around from the T-Mobile tech office in the Philippines being given answers from dial 011 (how you dial the UK and not the Caribbean) and it's a collect call (which makes absolutely no sense) as answers. I also spent an 1 1/2 on phone with no resolution. Completely fed-up and this point and needing help.

Hi,

All of your customer service reps that I've spoken stateside and the Philippines wasted an 1 1/2 of my time and couldn't even tell me what the problem was and I'm being charged extra for this connection process. T-Mobile is looking very bad in terms of its misinformation and charging customers for this process (it's not even free). What is T-Mobile going to do about it?

I requested removal over a year ago. This had not happened. Time is ticking on my support for t-mobile. You are very unhelpful

Hi Amanda,

any update on when T-Mobile finally revokes this questionable "security feature" or at least allows customers to disable it on frequently called numbers?

I regularly call my mom overseas and have to enter the two digits every time.  Why does T-Mobile think there is any "security" value in always forcing me to enter the two extra digits is beyond me.  Perhaps it's time for you to review this policy seriously and adjust its implementation.

T-mobile does not care, users have been complaining about this since they implemented it. Same standard response - its for your security and explanation hoe it makes you safer.

It would be better if the could find a way to get the robocalls to input two digits before connecting. Oh but no - let's inconvenience the genuine Customer

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device

Well, I took the effort to call T-Mobile and ask them to remove this "feature".  Needless to say the front line reps had no idea what I was talking about.  Their supervisor had been thoroughly confused as well and claimed they don't have this feature or it must be new.  They offered to reset my phone settings on their network to see if that would help (didn't), but were nice enough to call back and follow up.  The result is an escalated ticket to their "engineers" (second tier tech support, I presume), and someone should get back to me within three days.

On a side note, I'm sure phone fraud is a billion$ problem for phone companies, but I'm still scratching my head about what does this two-digit pin security feature prevents.  Calls that potential malware could make without me knowing? Possibly.