Solved

I pay for Ultra Netflix BUT TMOBILE can NOT let me use it

• 18 October 2023
  • 26 replies

Badge

So, my daughter who is on the family plan, and lives with me, is away at college so her tv shows up in a different HOUSE, so it WILL NOT SHOW! SO, I pay for Ultra I asked for an extra member account and WAS GOING TO PAY EXTRA because NETFLIX thinks my daughter who goes to college has to have her own account on top of all other college costs. The T-Mobile who i pay over $150 a month already has told me that the service I pay for, THEY CAN'T PROVIDE! AND that I need to get my daughter a SEPERATE ACCOUNT (more money) ON TOP OF THE PLAN I PAY FOR ALREADY! And yes I have screenshots

icon

Best answer by cjake 18 October 2023, 18:11

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Looks like it's a Netflix issue to stop password sharing.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/123279

Badge

My daughter lives in my house when she is not at college! I also offered to buy the extra member account for her. TMobile says NO, they say that even though I pay for Ultra and 2 extra Member accounts I can not use them. That is all they say NO REASON, just cant use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you contacted Netflix?

Badge

yes they said i have to go thru TMobile and they told me that even though I PAY FOR ULTRA they can not give me an extra member account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

According to the Netflix on US support page it states all changes to account is made through Netflix and Tmobile facilitates the payment.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/netflix-on-us

Badge

I know that, you know that and they know that, yet they are saying that setting up the extra member account is adding 7 bucks so it has to be thru TMobile. This is why i am here NO ONE WILL HELP!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is basically a user to user forum with some Tmobile moderation that don't have account access.

If you use social media you can try contacting Tmobile support using messenger on one of Tmobile’s social media accounts.

@HeavenM might be able to point you in the right direction.

Badge

TYSVM

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Netflix changed the rules to prevent password sharing outside of the primary residence.   This is not something that only affects our T-Mobile Netflix on Us subscription.  It affects all Netflix subscriptions.

One of the Netflix rule changes is that accounts paid by a third party (like T-Mobile) are not eligible for additional members. I have no idea why Netflix made that restriction since it makes our Netflix on Us accounts much less valuable.  Maybe Netflix wants to eventually eliminate third party accounts, and this is a first step towards that goal.  

That restriction is what you are running up against.   Your daughter can’t use your account when she is at college because of the new password sharing restrictions, but you are not able to add her as an additional member because the account is paid through T-Mobile.

T-Mobile can’t add your daughter as an additional member either because of the Netflix restriction on third party accounts. 

There is nothing T-Mobile can do unless they negotiate a new agreement with Netflix.  Netflix changed the rules.  Unfortunately, that means that currently you have just two options:

• Purchase a separate subscription through Netflix (not through T-Mobile) for your daughter.
  • Cancel your Netflix on Us from your T-Mobile account.  Then purchase a new subscription directly from Netflix and add your daughter as an additional member.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i could have sworn there was a way you could have out of household people on your account as well. could have sworn it was something additional you had to pay for. but that was on the customer and not TMO to pay for.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

i could have sworn there was a way you could have out of household people on your account as well. could have sworn it was something additional you had to pay for. but that was on the customer and not TMO to pay for.

You can add members to a qualifying pure Netflix account.  But not to T-Mobile Netflix accounts.   Netflix doesn’t allow it.

The only workaround I can think of that T-Mobile could use would be to create a new Netflix on Us account for each family member that does not reside at the home location full time.  That could get expensive for T-Mobile unless the subscriber pays more for these additional accounts than for the primary Netflix on Us account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

see i’ll have to dig around and find the thread this was talked about..could have sworn any addition onto the basic TMO/Netflix deal had to be paid by the customer.

scratch that. found it..and you are correct..the TMO paid for one can not have more additions added. only the normal Netflix account can that is paid for by the customer and not part of a promo/3rd party paid for deal.

copy/pasted from the other Netflix thread

The $7.99 is for direct Netflix accounts, not Netflix through third parties, such as T-Moble. The following is a copy and paste from the Netflix website. (I added the underline)

The account owner will need to purchase an extra member slot, then invite an extra member to use the extra member slot. The extra member must be activated in the same country where the account owner created their account. Extra members cannot be added to Netflix-included packages or third-party billed accounts.

Badge

That restriction is what you are running up against.   Your daughter can’t use your account when she is at college because of the new password sharing restrictions, but you are not able to add her as an additional member because the account is paid through T-Mobile.

T-Mobile can’t add your daughter as an additional member either because of the Netflix restriction on third party accounts. 

There is nothing T-Mobile can do unless they negotiate a new agreement with Netflix.  Netflix changed the rules.  Unfortunately, that means that currently you have just two options:

OK I need you to read the restriction again and think about it, my daughter who LIVES WITH ME WHEN NOT AT SCHOOL, AND WHO IS ON THE FAMILY PLAN. Is at college she did not move she is AT SCHOOL! So, the restriction is BS. Then if T-Mobile cannot provide the service. THEN IT IS ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO TAKE MONEY FOR THAT SERVICE!!! Plain and simple so PLEASE RETHINK before this goes to the AG for your company stealing money for a service they can't provide!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

then she is no longer in the “household” once she’s back home she is back in the household. thats how Netflix now looks at it..

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

OK I need you to read the restriction again and think about it, my daughter who LIVES WITH ME WHEN NOT AT SCHOOL, AND WHO IS ON THE FAMILY PLAN. Is at college she did not move she is AT SCHOOL! So, the restriction is BS. Then if T-Mobile cannot provide the service. THEN IT IS ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO TAKE MONEY FOR THAT SERVICE!!! Plain and simple so PLEASE RETHINK before this goes to the AG for your company stealing money for a service they can't provide!

It is Netflix’s fault that is causing problems for T-Mobile Netflix on Us subscribers such as yourself.  Netflix says if you are on a T-Mobile paid Netflix account, you cannot add additional members to your subscription.  

I don’t know what you think T-Mobile can do to force Netflix to allow you to add your daughter as an additional member.   T-Mobile does nothing more than pay the Netflix bill for you.  Perhaps T-Mobile can negotiate a new agreement with Netflix that removes that restriction on additional members.

Your daughter may be on a T-Mobile family phone plan, but Netflix on Us was never part of that plan.  It is a separate add-on for a single Netflix subscription.  Netflix does not have family plans.

Badge

Wow you don’t read, my daughters address on ALL ID’s and college paperwork is MY ADDRESS, she is on vacation, basically, her ID stays the school sends her paperwork here college is not out of household. ITS COLLEGE!  And stop with the NETFLIX on US, I pay the ULTRA for the 4 tvs so I AM PAYING mine is not free! I pay for ULTRA but you are saying T-Mobile cant give it to me then WHY ARE YOU SELLING IT!!! IS MY POINT! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

pretty much beating a dead horse here..this is on Netflix to figure out.. no one in here can assist with this. its a location issue between the address on the Netflix account and where youre daughter is trying to watch it..that isnt a TMO deal..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Wow you don’t read, my daughters address on ALL ID’s and college paperwork is MY ADDRESS, she is on vacation, basically, her ID stays the school sends her paperwork here college is not out of household. ITS COLLEGE!  And stop with the NETFLIX on US, I pay the ULTRA for the 4 tvs so I AM PAYING mine is not free! I pay for ULTRA but you are saying T-Mobile cant give it to me then WHY ARE YOU SELLING IT!!! IS MY POINT! 

None of the people responding to you work for Tmobile or Netflix . To me a non Tmobile employee it's the different IP address your daughter is using is why she can't access Netflix since it's not your IP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

thinking about it now..if shes paying through TMO for her Netflix and not getting the free one but paying outright, thats where the issue is..if she were paying N directly there woulndt be an issue adding someone on. if Netflix is being paid through a 3rd party (TMO would be said 3rd party or at least more than likely being viewed as such) then they cant add anyone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There is no Netflix Ultra plan.  I assume you mean Netflix Premium that includes the ability to watch on 4 devices.

Whether you subscribed to Netflix Premium through T-Mobile or directly to Netflix makes no difference.  Those 4 devices must be in the same home location.   When your daughter is at college and accesses Netflix, Netflix is able to determine that she is not at the home address of the account.   Netflix considers this to be illegal password sharing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Contact your state AG. You are getting what you pay for, the ability to stream Netflix on 4 devices. You simply have to follow Netflix’s rules on how those devices connect. 

Badge +1

If it looks like consumer fraud, then it is consumer fraud. I am urging all affected T-Mobile members to file complaints with the FTC.

Read more on my Twitter thread concerning this issue: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1718648377976524810.html 

Badge +1

@pedro_sanchez Also the FTC, as well as the BBB, who also sometimes files enforcement actions for false advertising. I should note that T-Mobile, Verizon, and Xfinity members are all similarly affected by Netflix’ fraudulent actions. My call with a T-Mobile rep. was enlightening as that their own customer service is in the dark about the household policy and all its bizarre rules.  Netflix has really dropped the ball here with working with their service partners. 

Badge +1

There is no Netflix Ultra plan.  I assume you mean Netflix Premium that includes the ability to watch on 4 devices.

Whether you subscribed to Netflix Premium through T-Mobile or directly to Netflix makes no difference.  Those 4 devices must be in the same home location.   When your daughter is at college and accesses Netflix, Netflix is able to determine that she is not at the home address of the account.   Netflix considers this to be illegal password sharing.

Netflix also considers families with more than one home, divorced households, those deployed overseas on active duty, or have jobs such as being a pilot requiring travel all over to be things deemed “illegal password sharing.” Netflix is essentially attacking itself within, and it’s conduct may have chilling effect on the rest of the streaming world. 

In have been told, that if you access netflix via your cell phone you can work around this blockage.