Solved

Netflix limiting to one household.

Userlevel 3
Badge
I've been with T-mobile since they acquired Suncom in 2007. We have 7 devices on our plan (6 phones and a watch).  Our plan was the first to offer free netflix and we're on that same plan to this day (never changed plans such as Magneta, etc., just added devices).

One of these phones (main tmobile account holder) lives in GA and the others (My Daughter and her family) live in Maryland. So how does this affect our Netflix? 

Will we still be able to have netflix at both households because of the t-mobile deal? If not, will t-mobile offer something else?
icon

Best answer by epson 29 May 2023, 15:08

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Netflix is verifying log ins now. I recently signed into one of my TV’s in my house and got hit with it but verified it.

From what I read is that Netflix will charge $7.99 for out of network sign ins.

I've been with T-mobile since they acquired Suncom in 2007. We have 7 devices on our plan (6 phones and a watch).  Our plan was the first to offer free netflix and we're on that same plan to this day (never changed plans such as Magneta, etc., just added devices).

One of these phones (main tmobile account holder) lives in GA and the others (My Daughter and her family) live in Maryland. So how does this affect our Netflix? 

Will we still be able to have netflix at both households because of the t-mobile deal? If not, will t-mobile offer something else?

According to Netflix, the answer is no, you won’t be able to have Netflix at two separate households. If T-Mobile was going to offer something else I assume they would have already done so because they’ve known about this issue for a long time

Netflix is verifying log ins now. I recently signed into one of my TV’s in my house and got hit with it but verified it.

The $7.99 is for direct Netflix accounts, not Netflix through third parties, such as T-Moble. The following is a copy and paste from the Netflix website. (I added the underline)

The account owner will need to purchase an extra member slot, then invite an extra member to use the extra member slot. The extra member must be activated in the same country where the account owner created their account. Extra members cannot be added to Netflix-included packages or third-party billed accounts.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I don’t know why or how the above post was selected as the answer and the thread marked solved as it’s clearly not.

What is T-Mobile’s position on this?

What do they plan to do about it?

Do they intend to step in with Netflix on behalf of their customers?

Do they plan to change the promotion to something other than Netflix?

Do they intend to just not do anything?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I don’t know why or how the above post was selected as the answer and the thread marked solved as it’s clearly not.

This is basically a user to user forum with some tmobile moderation so most of the posts are from users.

If you want to try and get an answer try using messenger on one of tmobile's social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter to see if they have a response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

T-Mobile is not making any changes to our Netflix benefit and are still making sure that you are able to get Netflix for your household with the On Us feature. If you are using your Netflix account in other households, then you would need to look at the extra members options through Netflix, but that would not be included in what is covered by the Netflix on Us feature on your T-Mobile account. 

We do also offer Paramount+ On Us for $4.99 per month for the Essential version, as well as a $10 discount per month for Philo TV

Userlevel 3
Badge

T-Mobile is not making any changes to our Netflix benefit and are still making sure that you are able to get Netflix for your household with the On Us feature. If you are using your Netflix account in other households, then you would need to look at the extra members options through Netflix, but that would not be included in what is covered by the Netflix on Us feature on your T-Mobile account. 

That’s just it, my household as far as T-mobile is concerned is 2 homes, 6 phone accounts and a watch account.  There was no mention of “household” when this benefit was touted, only of family allowances. In fact it still says Netflix with family allowances on my t-mobile account.

Where is this family allowance if only a single phone user is allowed access to netflix because the other 6 devices live in a different house?

Is T-mobile going to be changing it’s terms on this benefit (the same as they did by adding the word “household” when it didn’t have it before) to remove the “family allowances”?

We paid for all these lines with this benefit as part of it and expect all of these lines to be able to use this benefit. This is the way it was pitched to us to get us onto this t-mobile plan from our previous tmobile plan.

Now that netflix wants to screw customers, t-mobile is just going to be complicit in screwing us too? T-mobile will not step up for it’s customers?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Where is this family allowance if only a single phone user is allowed access to netflix because the other 6 devices live in a different house?

Maybe you should look up the definition of family.

https://www.hrsa.gov/get-health-care/affordable/hill-burton/family

Definition of Family

Family: A family is a group of two or more persons related by birth, marriage, or adoption who live together; all such related persons are considered as members of one family. For instance, if an older married couple, their daughter and her husband and two children, and the older couple's nephew all lived in the same house or apartment; they would all be considered members of a single family.

T mobile needs to step up!  We paid for families because of the deal to get Netflix’s.  So my phone doesn’t count because I live in different place even though I pay my part of the plan.  What can be done about this?  Seems like a bait and switch to me.  

What about college kids? I pay for 4 phones but now my kids go to college or will be going off to college. How will that effect our Netfix account?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

T-Mobile’s Netflix on Us terms are clear.   T-Mobile will only pay for one Netflix subscription.   

• You'll need to be the Primary Account Holder on T-Mobile.com to redeem. 
  • Limit of one Netflix streaming subscription per account. 

T-Mobile only acts as the method of payment for the Netflix subscription.

• T-Mobile acts as the method of payment for your Netflix subscription each month after you opt in to Netflix on Us.   

T-Mobile has no say over the Netflix subscription terms and conditions, including sharing an account. 

Do you really expect T-Mobile to pay for additional memberships?  Netflix would not even allow T-Mobile to pay for additional family members.

• Extra members cannot be added to Netflix-included packages or third-party billed accounts.

T-Mobile would not pay for the extra memberships.   If you upgrade your plan to Standard or Premium they charge you the extra cost.   Why not be able to add a member to your plan (like you could if you had a regular Netflix account) and T-Mobile charge that extra cost also.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Netflix is also changing some plans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2023/07/19/netflix-scraps-cheapest-ad-free-plan-amid-streaming-wars-heres-how-it-stacks-up-with-hulu-max-disney/?sh=58299cf1575c

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

T-Mobile only handles the billing. Instead of you being billed by Netflix, Netflix bills T-Mobile.

Why not be able to add a member to your plan (like you could if you had a regular Netflix account) and T-Mobile charge that extra cost also.

If you view your account details in Netflix, there is no Add Extra Members option.  That option is only available for standard Netflix accounts, not third-party billed Netflix accounts like T-Mobile.  This is a Netflix policy and there is nothing T-Mobile can do about it.

When you sign up for a Netflix on Us promotion, T-Mobile is not creating your Netflix account.  You are redirected to the Netflix site to create an account that is billed to T-Mobile instead of yourself. 

T-Mobile does nothing more than pay your Netflix bill.  They can’t change Netflix policies regarding account sharing or adding additional memberships.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Appears Netflix is dropping the Basic plan, which T-Mobile only offered to one-phone plans.  Guessing that T-Mobile will now offer the Netflix Standard with Ads plan instead.

https://www.netflix.com/signup/planform

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Appears Netflix is dropping the Basic plan, which T-Mobile only offered to one-phone plans.  Guessing that T-Mobile will now offer the Netflix Standard with Ads plan instead.

I suspect that you are correct about that. 

At least, this Netflix change does not affect existing customers.  I have only a single line that qualified for the Netflix Basic plan, but I opted to pay the difference to upgrade to the Premium plan.  So, T-Mobile pays the $9.99 for Basic, and I pay the $10 difference for Premium.  

I suspect that the Netflix on Us promotion will be modified to offer the $6.99 plan with Ads.  And an upgrade to Premium will cost $13 instead of $10.  Anyone who has not yet subscribed to the Netflix promotion should do it now before these possible changes are implemented.

Netflix’s changes, which do not affect existing customers, leave new customers with the choice of a $6.99 per month “Standard with Ads” plan—the cheapest Netflix offers—as well as a $15.49 “Standard” plan, which allows for two simultaneous streams and 1080p full HD video quality, or a $19.99 “Premium” plan, with up to four simultaneous streams and 4K Ultra HD video.

The company eliminated its $9.99-a-month “Basic” plan and now states on its support page it “is no longer available for new or rejoining members,”

The $7.99 is for direct Netflix accounts, not Netflix through third parties, such as T-Moble. The following is a copy and paste from the Netflix website. (I added the underline)

The account owner will need to purchase an extra member slot, then invite an extra member to use the extra member slot. The extra member must be activated in the same country where the account owner created their account. Extra members cannot be added to Netflix-included packages or third-party billed accounts.

I tried to do this and NETFLIX told me that BECAUSE I pay for my Netflix through Tmobile, I’m not able to add the extra member slot. I would need to stop paying for Netflix through Tmobile and change to paying for netflix through their site. I contacted them mid July about this and that’s what they told me. Anyone know if Tmobile is planning to make changes for this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I tried to do this and NETFLIX told me that BECAUSE I pay for my Netflix through Tmobile, I’m not able to add the extra member slot. I would need to stop paying for Netflix through Tmobile and change to paying for netflix through their site. I contacted them mid July about this and that’s what they told me. Anyone know if Tmobile is planning to make changes for this?

no one will know anything until TMO makes some kind of announcement. or at least nothing will be said until they kick out a statement.

Netflix is losing money because of their lack of quality content. How bout not gouging your customers? And give us something that might be worth the addl cost? Imo they need to be a little more careful, recently membership costs went ulp, now this. A customer exodus might happen.  Meaning in users language choice, not  dubbed. What have they released lately that is water cooler topic?  How about staying relevant before charging more and more for tired shows. Other networks continue to offer great new content, for example Paramount & apple. Lol even Hulu

Maybe you should look up the definition of family.

https://www.hrsa.gov/get-health-care/affordable/hill-burton/family

Definition of Family

Family: A family is a group of two or more persons related by birth, marriage, or adoption who live together; all such related persons are considered as members of one family. For instance, if an older married couple, their daughter and her husband and two children, and the older couple's nephew all lived in the same house or apartment; they would all be considered members of a single family.

My mother will finally have to concede since I moved out decades ago, we are no longer family. 

Badge +1

I think the issue has less to do with T-Mobile but Netflix’s absolute terrible and messy implementation of the household policy. I just spent four hours on the phone with a very helpful customer service agent for T-Mobile who was just as confused by Netflix’s policies. The Netflix representative that both myself and the TMobile rep spoke with did say Netflix does have plans to add the additional member $7.99 accommodation eventually to plans provided not only through TMobile but also Xfinity and other services Netflix works with to provide bundles. I’ve gone ahead and filed an FTC complaint in addition to a state attorney general complaint about the issue. I really think we need to voice our view about Netflix’s poor unveiling of the household policy that has caused Netflix bundles to not be of equal worth to those offered directly through Netflix.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I think the issue has less to do with T-Mobile but Netflix’s absolute terrible and messy implementation of the household policy. I just spent four hours on the phone with a very helpful customer service agent for T-Mobile who was just as confused by Netflix’s policies. The Netflix representative that both myself and the TMobile rep spoke with did say Netflix does have plans to add the additional member $7.99 accommodation eventually to plans provided not only through TMobile but also Xfinity and other services Netflix works with to provide bundles. I’ve gone ahead and filed an FTC complaint in addition to a state attorney general complaint about the issue. I really think we need to voice our view about Netflix’s poor unveiling of the household policy that has caused Netflix bundles to not be of equal worth to those offered directly through Netflix.

I hope this is true.  Netflix is currently treating its direct subscribers better than those that subscribe through T-Mobile or Xfinity.

Of course, even if Netflix extends their additional membership options to T-Mobile and Xfinity, subscribers are still going to complain about cost ($7.99 per additional member) or membership limits (one additional member for Standard accounts and two additional members for Premium accounts.)

We just upgraded our plan to one that includes Netflix.  Our Tmobile plan covers my household and my parents.  We had been told that we would get the standard plan, which indicated we could purchase an extra member.  I was fine doing that but I am VERY upset that we agreed to a new phone plan that was soooo much more expensive than our prior plan but we still have to pay for the Netflix subscription for my parents.     

the tmobile plan is most definitely expecting that it’s providing Netflix to all of the people on the plan.  

anyone have any luck reporting this ?

I call BS. I have the premium plan and 5 phones. I should be able to share my account between two households. Might be time to rethink both Netflix and T-Mobile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I call BS. I have the premium plan and 5 phones. I should be able to share my account between two households. Might be time to rethink both Netflix and T-Mobile. 

Hulu is starting this in March.