Solved

phone plans

• 17 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

My father used the Magenta shared plan since getting forced to, after Sprint/T-Mobile merger. I also had a sprint plan but decided to take one of his 4 lines and he'd pay the bill each month. I agreed and it worked out pretty well(except getting phone repaired thru added extra coverage to my line/phone #). My father, unfortunately, passed away in March, and now my phone service/line has been suspended! But I can't do anything involving the phone plan/line, because he was the only primary account holder, and the only one that was authorized to make any changes to the plan. I have no way to pay the bill and now fees. What do I need to do about just my line and phone #, to somehow keep service going for myself only. And I refuse to call into the  customer service lines, and sit on hold, or given the run around because they don't have a clue what to do about my issue, themselves. Will only do communications thru e-mail or text. That way I have a "paper" trail to back me up and for any transactions needing to be done, from both parties. NEED ANSWERS FROM SOMEONE, ASAP, AND WHATS MY NEXT STEPS TO TAKE OR WHAT I NEED TO DO.

icon

Best answer by gramps28 17 April 2024, 14:10

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It states in this link to call but you can try going to a Tmobile store or contacting Tmobile using messenger on one of Tmobile’s social media accounts like Facebook or Twitter.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/cancel-an-account-of-a-deceased-family-member

Badge

Thanks for the help and the link for me to try. Couldn't find that information on the home site of TM or anywhere else. Am I now responsible for the bill that's due? I'm trying to keep my ph # if at all possible when or if I can get the account closed. Do you know if that's doable or I'm gonna end up with a different # and my own account?

Thanks again for your help and for guiding me to the correct area of the web site to go to. Very helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

When a loved one passes it can be hard to deal with all the different accounts and things along with the grief. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Whether you are responsible for the bill or fees on the current account usually depends on a couple factors. Primarily, if the phone you want to keep has a payment plan, you might have to pay the past due payments for that and then take over the remaining balance on a payment plan on your own account. If there are fees for coverage devices or home internet equipment, you can usually set up a return for those devices and then the charges would be reversed. 

When I was still taking phone calls (before taking over this amazing Community) I took the phone calls to help family deal with accounts where the primary person passed away. The teams that help with this know that you are already going through a lot and try their best to make the process as easy and straightforward as possible. I am sure they will be able to do that for you and you feel at least some relief when this is all squared away.