T-Mobile Data Breach

• 17 August 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s time T-Mobile publicly discloses to  its customers exactly what data was breached and what steps T-Mobile is taking to relieve its customers of T-Mobile’s simple or gross negligence in this breach.

At the very lease, because its customers’ IMEI numbers appear to have been released to the public, T-Mobile should agree to IMMEDIATELY OFFER TO REPLACE ALL OF ITS CUSTOMERS’ PHONES WITH NEW, NOT REFURBISHED (i.e. phones with already used IMEI numbers), PHONES IDENTICAL TO THE PHONES ITS CUSTOMERS HAD PRIOR TO T-MOBILE’S NEGLIGENCE.

This situation puts all of T-Mobile’s customers in danger of identity fraud and misappropriation and the release of private and privileged information.  This was the fault of T-Mobile and T-Mobile alone. 

Will T-Mobile stand up for its customers or throw them under the bus?

18 replies

How irresponsible. Still no notification to their customers. You are not asking for much considering the damage that can be done to the real victims of this breach, the customers.

Badge

Sadly I know my post would not stay up. I have experienced this recent and with a tmobile employee(s) that not only hacked my phone but accessed my bank account and cash app and Credit card and I had no idea till it was too late. 2100.00 is what I have had to pay bc of this and NOT one rep or manager will call me back as promised and this has gone in for over a month. Ridiculous.

I agree with all.  My only official notification besides the news is from my LifeLock account about the T-Mobile breach.   They have our phone numbers and email addresses so we should have gotten news before the media.   Not happy with t-mobile customer care.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

How irresponsible. Still no notification to their customers. You are not asking for much considering the damage that can be done to the real victims of this breach, the customers.

they posted about it on the site here on the 16th

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/cybersecurity-incident-update-august-2021

plus theres this from another poster

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/08/t-mobile-breach-exposed-ssn-dob-of-40m-people/

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

\ T-Mobile should agree to IMMEDIATELY OFFER TO REPLACE ALL OF ITS CUSTOMERS’ PHONES WITH NEW, NOT REFURBISHED (i.e. phones with already used IMEI numbers),

I want a pony. Do you think I’ll get one?

Badge

I received the email from McAfee to sign up for the ID Theft protection.  The email links to a form which among other things requires that I supply my SSN and DOB.  Requiring T-Mobile’s victims of ID theft to supply their SSN and DOB to enroll in McAfee’s ID Theft protection seems to be adding to the injury.  Why is this necessary just to enroll?  For enrollment purposes McAfee can verify our identity with our email or with a code delivered by text message to our T-Mobile line.  I don’t want to supply my DOB and SSN on a sign up web form.

It uses the same website engine like AAA-Experian. I’ve used it for 4 years, It is pretty solid. This site that MacAfee uses is similar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I received the email from McAfee to sign up for the ID Theft protection.  The email links to a form which among other things requires that I supply my SSN and DOB.  Requiring T-Mobile’s victims of ID theft to supply their SSN and DOB to enroll in McAfee’s ID Theft protection seems to be adding to the injury.  Why is this necessary just to enroll?  For enrollment purposes McAfee can verify our identity with our email or with a code delivered by text message to our T-Mobile line.  I don’t want to supply my DOB and SSN on a sign up web form.

how else do they confirm that you are in fact you and not some random person that has some of your info?

I signed up before when one of my credit card accounts got hacked and they provided good protection

How long did it take to get the email?  It has been 24 hours and I still don’t have an email

Badge

Heck I tried signing up for the McAfee Theft protection and never received the email.  It’s been more than a week, meanwhile I’m sure the folks that stole the information had it up on the dark web within minutes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

How long did it take to get the email?  It has been 24 hours and I still don’t have an email

up to 48 hours. keep an eye on your spam folder just in case it gets tossed in there.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Heck I tried signing up for the McAfee Theft protection and never received the email.  It’s been more than a week, meanwhile I’m sure the folks that stole the information had it up on the dark web within minutes.

Mine did indeed arrive in my spam folder and a few colleagues have also told me that their email arrived in their spam folders too.

Badge

Yep, I’ve been checking my spam folder as well.  Not there.  Guess I need to call T_Mo.

Badge

Perhaps this has led to a delay in the proceedings? >

“T-Mobile data-breach website lets anyone sign up for identity-theft protection”

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/t-mobile-data-breach-identity-theft-protection

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Perhaps this has led to a delay in the proceedings? >

“T-Mobile data-breach website lets anyone sign up for identity-theft protection”

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/t-mobile-data-breach-identity-theft-protection

As crazy as it may seem, let’s look at this from another perspective. What about the former T-Mobile consumer that decided to cancel his plan within the last year or so? What about the consumer that applied service recently but due to whatever reason, was denied? The hack did not just involve the personal information of current consumers but also that of former and prospective consumers too. Therefore T-Mobile also owes it to them to offer protection does it not? How do you reach those people? Do the have to have a T-Mobile account/number to be able to take part in this offer? That would seem a little unfair if that was the case.

Good luck they are NOT taking this seriously.

I was part of the data breach. I received a text message from T-Mobile that I was affected soon after the news broke about the breach. My friend received his a few days later. My account on the app has a box at the top that indicates I was part of the data breach and what I can do about it. I was able to finally sign up for the McAfee protection. It took awhile, at first I couldn’t create an account and then I had to wait for their email which took several days but it paid off. I found out some woman in North Carolina has my social security number (this was at the beginning of this year, prior to the breach). I just signed up for LifeLock through Norton 360 also. I have been in the process of locking my down social security information with extra protection, two factor IDing my bank logins, freezing my credit, checking credit reports, etc. I had my cell account changed so my number can’t be ported out to another carrier. Yesterday I received a call from someone claiming to be from T-Mobile. It even popped up “T-mobile” on the display. I thought it was something about the breach so I answered. He said they were just checking in on their customers. I got suspicious right away because they have never done that for me before. He had all my information but got the phone plan price wrong so I got even more suspicious. I would not confirm any of the information he had, just kept saying “hmmm” because I was mad at T-mobile and was not able to verbally unload on him due to being at work. Knowing I was at work, he still wanted me to stay on the line while he “checked the cell towers in my area”. I panicked and hung up. I highly doubt the call was legit. I have now set my phone to not allow any calls through that aren’t on my contact list and they go straight to voicemail. T-Mobile is a huge company. They had enough money to purchase Sprint but they couldn’t make sure my personal information was protected better? I am livid and every time something like the phone call from yesterday happens I am even more furious all over again. I have done my research on other phone plans, I can’t beat their price for the phone plan I have and a data breach can happen to anyone but I am the one who is ultimately paying the price for their mistake. How much is enough? Because I am just about there. I’m sorry this is so long but I wanted to let you all know how I was contacted by T-Mobile, that I was eventually able to get into McAfee and that scams/scammers are happening because of the data breach. Stay safe out there!