Question

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

• 24 August 2023
  • 18 replies

Badge

I just read that you don’t like to pay for us using our credit card.

How would you feel if someone wiped out our bank accounts and we sued you for all the money that was stollen. How much would that save you?

Or we stopped using Auto pay all together and had you mail out a statement every month. The credit card is the safest method for all of us. Thieves are everywhere even in your company.

Perhaps switching to a different carrier is what you want instead. Does this help you with profits?

Profits is the only thing this is about.  Perhaps we all should get rid of our cell phones and go back to the way it was. We all pay way too much for our cell phones already.

I would think twice about what you think you are saving.

18 replies

Badge

UNETHICAL COMPANY 

Userlevel 1

I just read that you don’t like to pay for us using our credit card.

How would you feel if someone wiped out our bank accounts and we sued you for all the money that was stollen. How much would that save you?

Or we stopped using Auto pay all together and had you mail out a statement every month. The credit card is the safest method for all of us. Thieves are everywhere even in your company.

Perhaps switching to a different carrier is what you want instead. Does this help you with profits?

Profits is the only thing this is about.  Perhaps we all should get rid of our cell phones and go back to the way it was. We all pay way too much for our cell phones already.

I would think twice about what you think you are saving.

Researching other options. We're seniors who are NOT attached to our phones. Don't really need too much but always looking for ways to save a bit on expenses. 

This is nothing more than Bait and Switch.  They reel you in with promises and discounts.  Then take them away while you’re still paying installments.  Yes, that’s essentially a contract.  You agree to finance a new phone or two, etc.  Expecting that Autopay discount.  You are then stuck now the entire term of 24-36 months of installments. 

The answer to just pay off the phone is silly.  Instead, those with Costco memberships or other discounts could have purchased the phones outright for less cost,  We elected the installment plans and counted on the Autopay “Perk” .  Don’t even get me started on the horrible customer service in Costco - These guys are left in the dark apparently. 

I used to hate my 20+yr relationship with SPRINT...Until Now.  

Userlevel 1

Just UN-Enrolled from auto pay. Let's see how much T-mobile saves when they have to print a bill, mail it timely and then process an actual check received in payment. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just UN-Enrolled from auto pay. Let's see how much T-mobile saves when they have to print a bill, mail it timely and then process an actual check received in payment. 

You might want to rethink your strategy… T-Mobile will have little problem in mailing a timely bill and won’t suffer much of a hit. They’ll also expect a timely payment. Can you count on timely receipt and return through the US Mail? Consider what will happen if T-Mobile doesn’t receive a timely payment regardless of whose fault it may be. Sending a check through the mail is probably the least secure method other than sending cash through the mail. At the same time, that check includes both your bank’s routing information and your account number - anybody handling that check will have your info then.

Talk to your bank about other options that may be more secure while protecting you against fraud.

I don’t like it either but an unlinked checking account (I keep a small amount in there and transfer funds as needed with no overdraft protection) with a debit card that enforces some controls serves me well and offers all of the fraud protections of a credit card. Others are starting to charge fees for using credit cards or removing discounts unless paid by debit card, and this approach  covers those as well.

Userlevel 1

Don't believe the SCARE TACTIC.  Auto pay requires routing number and account info already also makes info available for hackers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Don't believe the SCARE TACTIC.  Auto pay requires routing number and account info already also makes info available for hackers.

Debit card?  Not routing and account info needed?

Userlevel 1

Debit card is linked directly to account. Automatically debited from account. Already been hacked too many times using debit card.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Debit card is linked directly to account. Automatically debited from account.

True, but it doesn’t expose your routing information  or bank account number. Most bank debit cards these days are issued by Visa or MasterCard and carry the same fraud protections as credit cards do. In addition, most have debit card controls, categorizations of spending and notifications that minimize the risks. The primary difference is that you need to actively monitor debit cards using notifications since the funds are made available immediately at the close of business on that day. This still gives you the opportunity to “stop” payment and report fraud as needed. These aren’t your father’s debit cards anymore. The landscape has changed, which is why I recommended talking to your bank about this - not all banks are the same. They aren’t the same as ATM cards either. Or choose paper billing and checks - your choice but at least make an informed one not based on emotion.

If age has taught me anything, it’s not to make hasty decisions without considering all the options and consequences. Nobody here is trying to scare you.

Userlevel 1

Age and experience has taught me a lot as a former bank employee. I choose paper since it's harder and more timely to recover the funds once they're debited than otherwise.

BTW you sound like an employee of the system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Debit card is linked directly to account. Automatically debited from account. Already been hacked too many times using debit card.

That's not the same thing as what you said…

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Age and experience has taught me a lot as a former bank employee. I choose paper since it's harder and more timely to recover the funds once they're debited than otherwise.

You are definitely not a former banker. 

Care to wager that I am not an employee of the system? I am serious. You can fly to Hawaii and see what I do. Hope you not afraid of heights. The views are great though. 

Userlevel 1

Sorry I thought this was a two-way conversation with BobT. Didn't realize it was a party line.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

More like a one-way conversation with you resorting to ad hominem. So far the only thing I’ve gotten out of the conversation is that I’m still enjoying my discount while you are receiving some satisfaction not getting the discount and  knowing you’re sticking it to the man. Not that there’s anything wrong with that...

Userlevel 1

You're right. Nothing personal. You have your opinion and I have mine.

My credit card offers cell phone protection if monthly payment is paid with the card. This new auto pay requirement essentially removes the cell phone protection perk from my credit card. Not a fan, I will start looking for other cell phone provider options 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

just look deep..V only gives a discount if you use their own CC card or if you do the bank route..ATT still allows CC cards for auto pay but just changed the discount from $10 per line to $5 since they know a bunch of people are going to leave over it...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

one would think that a former bank employee would know not to send checks via snail mail...heck even USPS will straight up tell you not to send payments via mail.. how is it that a former bank employee doesnt seem to know this?