Solved

Why are you going to charge $20 a month to pay with a credit card?

• 15 June 2023
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just got an email telling me that I am going to be charged $20 a month to use a credit card to pay my monthly bill. This is beyond ridiculous. Why is this happening. 

icon

Best answer by syaoran 15 June 2023, 19:29

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

if you would take the time to do a quick search or look a few threads down.  It's because credit card companies charge significantly higher rates and fees for the business on transactions than debit cards from banks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Oh no poor tmobile being charged a marginally higher % on cc transactions! So they're going to rack my bill up $250 a year because of it. This is a ridiculous policy change. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

they said they will be billing you $20 per month to use it….or...you can still use it but you wont get your discount which is $20 per month?

Userlevel 2
Badge

That's just pedantic. My bill is going to be $20 a month higher if I use a credit card. Taking away a discount IS billing me $20 a month more.

Userlevel 5

If they stop the discount, un-enroll from autopay, have them send you a paper bill each month, and pay by check.  See how much that costs them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If they stop the discount, un-enroll from autopay, have them send you a paper bill each month, and pay by check.  See how much that costs them.

Way less than even a single autopay line discount.

Userlevel 5

Maybe, but it is not just direct costs.  There are also costs associated with the instability of the cash flow, the potential increase in the number of account suspensions and reactivations due to missed payments, the increased customer service calls due to those suspensions, etc.  Autopay saves them a lot of money and headaches otherwise they wouldn’t have offered a discount on it in the first place.

This is crap! T-Mobile is not getting my bank information, nor is any other company. I will start looking at other companies, since you're going to charge more now to use my credit card, or not accept it at all.  Still a little unclear on that part.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is crap! T-Mobile is not getting my bank information, nor is any other company. I will start looking at other companies, since you're going to charge more now to use my credit card, or not accept it at all.  Still a little unclear on that part.

When looking for a new provider take into consideration the if you have a tax inclusive plan the other carrier may not offer that.

When looking for a new provider take into consideration the if you have a tax inclusive plan the other carrier may not offer that.

I don't mind paying a little more to keep control of my bank accounts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so pay a little more by continuing to use your CC?

I don't think that is an option,  at least not the message I got anyway.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You can continue to pay with your credit card.  However, you will lose the autopay discount as that now only applies to debit card payments setup on autopay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

from what i have seen you’ll no longer get the $5 per line discount..if you want the discount then you’ll have to use a bank card/info. even looking at another thread about this they copy/pasted this.

“ACTION NEEDED by 07/17/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving the ((insert your line discount here) AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.

Visit your T-Mobile account to update your payment method and keep your discount by 07/17/2023.”

main part to look at is “To continue receiving the (insert your line discount here) AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account”.

to continue receiving you must update to the bank stuff..doesnt say anything about CCs no longer being accepted..

I am not going to trust T-mobile with my bank account or debit card number, not after the security breaches we as the customers suffered through. 

What T-Mobile is doing, is openly raising the monthly price. Very disappointing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if they were openly raising the monthly price then it wouldnt just affect CCs.

Userlevel 1

Way less than even a single autopay line discount.

It's not way less. Consider paper bill (paper, laser graph, envelope, stamp, mailing), consider people handling it, people for proccesing checks, opening envelopes... lets say only 2 million of their customers do it and those new employees need to be payed, vacations, health insurance... or maybe they are going to outsource it out of USA??? Not bloody likely. 

Not to mention that looks bad on your P&L at the end of the year having 300 more employees, since it is fixed expense. 

Userlevel 1

They will accept your credit card, only you will loose discount on Auto-pay

Userlevel 1

That's a thing! They are not openly raising monthly prices, since they made commitment around Christmass last year not to raise prices, but removing discounts is not raising prices (eventhough you pay more). Only depends how you call it, but for you means paying more. Treating their customers as sheeps, I would call it.

I am just going to drop my home internet, then my bill will go up $10 for my phines and I'll be without internet, saving $40 overall. I'm sick of all the bill increases and cannot take any more!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

That's a thing! They are not openly raising monthly prices, since they made commitment around Christmass last year not to raise prices, but removing discounts is not raising prices (eventhough you pay more). Only depends how you call it, but for you means paying more. Treating their customers as sheeps, I would call it.

oh i have said this in here until i was blue in the face...people tend to skip over stuff like this because it doesnt fit into what they believe the answer should be *shrug*

i wouldnt go as far as calling everyone sheeps...theres gotta be a decent reason for this to be happening..V only accepts their own CC card for payments...ATT still allows the use of CC cards but time will tell if they end up pulling that as well...

I switched from at&t which I do not regret, yes their signal is significantly better than tmobile, but their customer service is ridiculous.  But guess what, tmobile is heading in the same direction.

There are benefits for people like me paying with my amex card.  Phone insurance etc, which are offered for ‘free’.  So now I have to pay with a debit card that carry no insurance or I’ll have to effectively pay $25/month for the insurance. 

I completely understand that credit cards cost a fee to use, and I would be completely fine with paying a few dollars extra for the convenience of insurance of my phones.  So, until I leave this horrible carrier, I am absolutely going to turn on paper billing and pay with a paper check going forward.

The other frustration is that T-Mobile and Goldman/Apple have an agreement that t-mobile transactions are given cash back at the highest tier. I feel that this goes against the spirit of that arrangement. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/apple-card

T-Mobile sucked in a bunch of customers in with plans that included taxes and fees by offering an autopay discount they could take away. At least they did with me with their 55+ plan. Thing is being older means I don’t need or use the “Unlimited data”. Time to check out Consumer Cellular. Even with taxes and fees I’ll be paying less to talk/text which is what my cell phone is used for.

I’ll leave T-Mobile to younger people that think paying more means you get more and don’t mind “dedicated customer service” answered by people that barely speak English.

$10 penalty for paying a $70 bill with a cc is hwy robbery. T-Mobile cost is less than 2 cents because of the volume of transactions. I also pay with my cc because of the cell phone insurance benefit. I’m highly disappointed and as soon as my cell leases are paid I’m definitely jumping ship after 23 years of Sorint T-MOBILE loyalty. Huge bummer for sure.