Android 14 OTA Missing

• 4 October 2023
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Android 14 was released today Oct 4 23 and it seems to be missing on my phone Pixel 7. Is this a T-Mobile issue again or what? Seems like we went through this a while back and assumed everything was fixed that caused the issue. Now it seemed to raise its ugly head again. You would think Tmo and Google could get their stuff together! 

gramps28 9 months ago

I rebooted after I put the Sim in. These updates are usually rolled out in waves so not to overload the servers.

This is the first year since I had a pixel phone I didn't test the Beta version.

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I haven't got it yet and I purchased my 7 from Google.

Yes.

https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Just look at the listed release. Stock is us released and att but Verizon and T-Mobile b1 and c1 not released yet idk why they got to step up in their game here. being late to a major released is bad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My Pixel 6 I purchased through Tmobile hasn't received it yet either.

I swapped out my T-Mobile sim card for a different one and immediately got the update on my pixel device purchased unlocked. I don’t know why T-Mobile blocks updates like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I swapped out my T-Mobile sim card for a different one and immediately got the update on my pixel device purchased unlocked. I don’t know why T-Mobile blocks updates like this.

Didn't work for me on my 7 purchased from Google using a Fi Sim.

Didn't work for me on my 7 purchased from Google using a Fi Sim.

I rebooted as well and made sure that the sim card connected to the network (e.g. wasn’t in airplane mode). In case it helps. It was on a Pixel 6.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I rebooted after I put the Sim in. These updates are usually rolled out in waves so not to overload the servers.

This is the first year since I had a pixel phone I didn't test the Beta version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

So my Pixel 7 bought from Google still hasn't received the update but my Pixel 6 bought from Tmobile is downloading it now.

So I guess that means Tmobile is not blocking the update.

T-Mobile seems to have a preference for iPhones. When I was switching one of the phone customer service representatives felt like they were trying to talk me out of Pixel to get an iPhone. They asked why you would get a Pixel 7 when you can get an iPhone. To me it feels like they purposely tank the Google community to increase iPhone support. I have an iPhone as well, but I like both devices updated with the new updates. If their servers can’t handle the load and ATT and Verizon can, I might just have to switch to one of them. If I don’t see the updates showing up today (3 days late) I am going to pay off the small amount I have left on this Pixel and take my family plan elsewhere.  The Google Pixel repair updater site is also not allowing me to bypass T-Mobile’s update available, in case others are thinking of getting the update there. It's ridiculous. 

Badge

Still no update.  No explanation.  T Mobile says that the update is controlled by Google; Google says the update is controlled by T Mobile.

It is annoying.

This is very frustrating.  It should not take this long to receive an update.

If you have a SIM card instead of an eSim, the easiest way to receive the update is as follows:

1 - Remove your SIM card from the phone.
2 - Insert a SIM card from another provider (in my case Cricket did the job).
3 - Check if you have a new update. If it doesn't appear the first time, keep CLICKING until it appears that you have an update. DO NOT REMOVE THE SIM CARD YET.
4 - When the Update to Android 14 message appears, click update (download and install).
5 - Once it is updating with the bar in progress, you can remove the sim card BUT DO NOT INSERT THE T-MOBILE SIM CARD YET.
6 - The update may take between one or two hours. Do not use your phone until the update is complete.
7 - When the update is finished, click the REBOOT button that appears.
8 - Once it is completely up, you can now insert the T-Mobile SIM Card.

I have already done it on two Pixel 7 Pro phones. This shows that the one stopping the update is not Google, but T-Mobile, and it is not the first time it has happened.

Another reason to stick with my physical SIM card instead of the eSim.

I didn’t get the update either, so ended up sideloading the OTA file to upgrade it manually. One irritating thing I found. After upgrading all the apps and rebooting (cold), when I go into Security and Privacy, it says ‘Looks good (see alert) and says there may be updates for your device. When I check for an update, it keeps prompting a Google Play system update.  Doesn’t matter HOW many times you install that, it will STILL prompt you again.  I’ve deleted the cache and reinstalled.  Not sure who’s issue this is. Using a Pixel 7.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I didn’t get the update either, so ended up sideloading the OTA file to upgrade it manually. One irritating thing I found. After upgrading all the apps and rebooting (cold), when I go into Security and Privacy, it says ‘Looks good (see alert) and says there may be updates for your device. When I check for an update, it keeps prompting a Google Play system update.  Doesn’t matter HOW many times you install that, it will STILL prompt you again.  I’ve deleted the cache and reinstalled.  Not sure who’s issue this is. Using a Pixel 7.

should be semi easy to figure out..you sideloaded it...where did it come from? either it didnt load fully or theres a bug in that OTA you did.

I got the OTA images from *developer. android. com* Google ' OTA images  for Google Pixel'.  Turns out it is a bug in the code. Found it in the reported issues list. Thanks for the response. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

lol had a feeling.

it was mentioned earlier that the delay might be due to the 8 about to come out (havent looked so not sure if the 8 comes with Android 14 or 15) so the delay might be waiting for the 8 to kick but i have a feeling its the same as the last few releases and issues were found in the TMO variant of it. heck you side loaded and it already started with a few bugs. if TMO isnt signing off on it being ready to be kicked out it wont kick out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

per a couple other posters in another Android 14/Pixel 7 thread they just started receiving the update.

with that being said though..for those that run and start hammering that update button keep in mind that as all updates are..theyre kicked out in waves..so a smaller group will get it..then a larger group of phones..then so on and then they’ll leter rip once they see phones arent junking up with issues.

I still have not received my android update pixel 7pro

October 29

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you have another carrier Sim, take yours out and insert and manually update.

The full OTA will be released in December, not sure of the day, but it is in December.  Nothing to worry about, just wait until then. Then the Beta program will just turn off.

I purchased my Pixel 7A at my local TMobile store on October 27 and the tech put in my sim card from my other Tmobile Samsung Android phone. It booted up and the system showed as Android 13. For the last 2 weeks, I have checked my settings and it continued to show Android 13 as my operating system, even though sometimes I would click on check for updates.  I called TMobile a week ago and the pointed fingers at Google which made no sense since some of you out on the community were now getting Android 14. I decided to wait it out and this morning even though the phone said it checked for updates at 1:39 a.m. and I was still on Android 13, i decided to check for updates manually and it it now downloading Android 14 to my phone - exactly 2 weeks later after picking up my phone.  So my advice is just stay patient and click on check for updates periodically do download the new version.