Solved

buy prepaid t mobile card to travel to USA

• 22 February 2023
  • 50 replies

Badge
Voy a viajar a USA (costa oeste) y me han recomendado que compre una sim de prepago, pero para no tener que buscar una tienda cuando llegue a LAX queria saber si podria comprarla de otra forma ; espero su respuesta  muchas gracias
icon

Best answer by HeavenM 23 February 2023, 00:32

View original

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can buy the sim card but it can't be activated until it connects to a Tmobile tower. Amazon sells prepaid Sims, I don't think Tmobile ships out of the USA.

Badge
But how can I contact T Mobile to find out if they can send me one? and in amazon there is more than 1? thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile doesn't do international shipping, so you can try getting a friend to buy one for you then they can send it to you.

Badge
But there is no website where I can pay for it and have it sent to me? or an email from T Mobile ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can go through the motions on Tmobile's website to see if they take an international credit card and send it to you.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/home

Badge
I'll try, but they had told me that they sold them on some international website, that's why I preferred to ask here. thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've never heard of a Tmobile USA international site, maybe it was a 3rd party site.

Badge
It must have been from a third party perhaps, now I have done the test and on the T Mobile page it asks me for the IMEI and when I put it it tells me that it is not compatible... that means that it has the sim that I have in my mobile from the Whatever company it is, I won't be able to navigate in the US? I am scared
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can do an imei check with the link below. Make sure the phone is unlocked by your carrier before you get here.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

Badge
I have already done it and it tells me this:"Sorry, we are having technical difficulties.We are unable to check the compatibility of this device at this time, please try again laterThe device name is not available"What does that mean ? Because my operator chose it a long time ago but the phone I have now I bought it last year.I don't understand anything
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone and model.

Badge

oppo A54S

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The only issue I can see is it may not support Tmobile's VoLte standard.

@syaoran may have a better idea about this.

Badge
but it is not compatible with Tmobile's VoLte standard, which means that if I go to the US with this phone, even with a sim from a Spanish company that has roaming with the US, it will not work for me either? Can I send a private message to shaoran? thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It does have some bands that T-Mobile uses.  However, it is a device made for the Asian market.  That would mean it more than likely does not support T-Mobile's VoLTE implementation, which is the stock Android implementation.  This is one of the major drawbacks to trying to use these Chinese market devices in North America.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14
but it is not compatible with Tmobile's VoLte standard, which means that if I go to the US with this phone, even with a sim from a Spanish company that has roaming with the US, it will not work for me either? Can I send a private message to shaoran? thank you

If you use it with your sim it may work but it can't be activate with a Tmobile sim.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm going to pull the community manager and she may know. @HeavenM 

Badge
but I bought this Oppo phone in Spain; and my daughter also has another Oppo model and another mobile that she has is a motorola and all 3 are listed on the T Mobile page that none are compatible; This all seems surreal to me. Thanks for helping
Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Spain is a very different region of the world with different carriers that have different implementations for their features.  Even in North America, there is a considerable difference in what US carriers use, let alone adding Canada and Mexico into that mix.

Badge

If you use it with your sim it may work but it can't be activate with a Tmobile sim.

Es que precisamente compramos este móvil porque nos dijeron que el que teníamos antes no captaba las frecuencias de las empresas de EEUU, lo miramos en una página web y con este móvil decía que sí; entonces ahora no entiendo.
Now I just looked at it with a samsung galaxy A13 and neither
Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You might want to look over on Swappa for some good deals on devices that are compatible with T-Mobile, if you choose to not buy something from T-Mobile directly.  You might be able to sell those incompatible devices on Swappa as well.

Badge

You might want to look over on Swappa for some good deals on devices that are compatible with T-Mobile, if you choose to not buy something from T-Mobile directly.  You might be able to sell those incompatible devices on Swappa as well.

but we don't want to sell anything, because these are family mobiles, and how can it be that none of them doesn't work for T mobile. I know many friends who have been to the US and have had no problems, and I don't think their motives are that different from ours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The VoLTE compatibility is a fairly new requirement.  With the shutdown of 2G and 3G networks in the US.  VoLTE is required now to make and receive calls.  

Badge
what is volte? what we are interested in knowing is if with these mobiles we can travel to the US and have data and calls without problems; thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for reaching out! Sounds like we have three questions. How can you buy a T-Mobile SIM card? Will your phone work with a T-Mobile SIM card while you are in the US? Can you use that phone with your original carrier SIM card on our network through roaming?

T-Mobile SIM cards are available to purchase through many retailers. I don’t think Walmart and Target are international so Amazon may be the best option. Just make sure you purchase a United States version and not the German version. 

Network compatibility can be confusing and changes as technology evolves. Hopefully I can shed a little light on things to make it easier. Cell towers broadcast frequencies and your phone has to have the right antenna to pick up what is broadcast. When your phone picks up the frequency, the software in your phone has to be able to process it to actually send and receive calls and text messages.

1. I found the specs for the oppo A54S online and it should be able to pick up 5 of the frequencies that T-Mobile uses. 
  2.  What we can’t verify is if your phone is capable of VoLTE. If it does have VoLTE, then you can get the T-Mobile SIM card and use your oppo A54S while you travel. If it doesn't, then that phone would not get service with the T-Mobile SIM card. 

If your cellphone provider and T-Mobile have a roaming agreement, then it is likely that you will get some kind of service while in the US. It is hard to say what will and won’t work because the phone is not built with the US network top of mind. You will most likely be able to send and receive text messages and get some data. If the phone is not VoLTE capable, then calls may not go through at all with either SIM card. 

It is a bit of a long answer but hopefully this helps.