Solved

Calls go straight to voicemail - phone doesn't ring (Samsung S6 on Nougat)

• 7 August 2018
  • 29 replies

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I started missing calls because my phone wasn't ringing and calls went straight to voicemail.

For some of the calls that come in (including Telemarketers unfortunately), I hear the ringtone while others go straight to voicemail. A work colleague has called me and a few times the phone rang and the rest of the time his calls went to voicemail. It appears to be completely random and not associated with certain numbers, people in my contact list or calls during certain times of the day.

I've had my phone for about 9-10 months and although I had other notification issues with it (which I eventually solved), I always heard a ring tone when a call was coming in up until about 2-3 weeks ago.

I've checked all my settings and did some troubleshooting of my own

1. Volume for all notifications is turned up (Do not disturb is OFF)

2. I don't have any calls blocked

3. I don't have call forwarding (in fact, that option doesn't even appear on my phone in the settings menu! What's up with that?)

4. I don't have any apps blocking or monitoring incoming phone calls

5. I can make outgoing calls

6. I've turned the phone off and rebooted it (no change)

7. I've removed the SIM card and put it back in followed by a reboot (no change)

Furthermore, some of the calls that come in (when the phone doesn't ring) don't show up in my call log so I have no idea who called or when. If they leave a voicemail, then the voicemail eventually shows up in the call log but not all calls show up in the call log! That too appears to be random.

I called T-Mobile Customer Service and got someone off-shore who was clueless and told me to reset my phone to factory settings and sent me instructions for a Galaxy S3 (I have an S6).

I use my phone for business and I can't afford to miss important calls! Any help is greatly welcome and appreciated.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 13 November 2019, 22:42

View original

29 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey @lukkyme

Thanks for taking the time to post to our community! I am sorry to hear that your phone is missing some calls! Typically when an issue is intermittent like this. it is usually a signal related issue. I know it is hard to tell when you are missing a call cause well.... you can't see it on your phone but do you recall any instances of this happening in real time? If so, how many bars of signal did your phone show that you had at that time? Does this issue seem to happen more often when you are in a specific area?

Hey Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me! I wasn't holding my phone when the missed calls came in real time because I'm not surgically attached to my phone. I just check it when I hear an email, txt msg or phone call come in.  But every single time I missed a call, I was at home and I'm usually connected to Wifi. Either way, emails and txt msg's always come through - and when the caller leaves a voicemail, I get the notification ringtone as soon as they do. Since I'm receiving all these other messages, wouldn't that rule out the signal-related issue?

Fwiw, yesterday I heard the phone ring during a call and today I asked a friend of mine to call and I heard the ringtone again - but I don't receive a ton of calls, so I don't know whether it was a fluke or if my phone mysteriously fixed itself! I've been troubleshooting my phone by trying a few different thing like turning off the Wifi and the calls that came in since I did that have rung... but before this problem started happening, I always had Wifi ON and incoming calls were ringing. So honestly I don't know if Wifi has anything to do with it. I prefer to have that ON when I'm home for obvious reasons..

Was T-Mobile experiencing signal problems the past 2-3 weeks? Or any issues with incoming calls when WiFi is turned on?

I am having the exact same issue as described above. Some calls make it through but many do not and go straight to voicemail. Text messages are also seeing 30 min delays. This is a recent issue occurring only within the last month. I have changed phones and sims to troubleshoot privately. This is a T-Mobile network issue. If this problem persists I am changing providers. I cannot afford to have half of my incoming calls going straight to voicemail with no notification on my end.

I'm having the exact same issue at my house and my office. I will have the phone right next to me on my desk and I'll get a notification that I have a voicemail without the phone ever ringing. Always when I'm connected to wifi.

Anyone got a fix? I call, (my new T-Mobile S8+  International, w/Android 😎 from my landline, and the S8+ doesn't ring; it always goes straight to voicemail. Voice mail does work. I connect via WiFi from my PC. I get the same results if I connect via the USB cable.

When I got it last week I took it to T-Mobile, Hilo, HI and they registered the SIM card. They said the problem was because it was an International version. The Amazon seller, Matt, replied: "Hello, I don't know what this T-mobile guy told you but of course the phone has WiFi. I've never heard something like that. Just go to the settings and there at the connections you will find Wifi and you can connect the phone to any Wifi you want."

The solution is turn your wi-fi off.

Your phone is confused whether it should use wi-fi or cellular data. If you have enough cellular data, then only use that. If you do not have enough cellular data then you may want to go into your phone's settings, and update connections to call over wi-fi only (if you're desperate). Allowing your phone to choose between wi-fi and cellular is a nightmare. Both of my parents have had this issue in the last month, and I told each of them to turn off their wi-fi and the problem was fixed instantly in both cases.

Additional benefit - In general, your phone's battery is drained when it is searching for wi-fi, so you might save yourself a recharge too.

Good luck!

Badge

My husband is also having this issue on his Samsung S8. Every call goes directly to voicemail. It started about a week ago and we cannot figure out why or how to stop it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am having this issue as well. Looks like a TMobile wide issue. Never had this happen with AT&T.

Userlevel 4

Hey @kadaris

Do you know if this happens when you are in a specific area? Do you know anyone else with T-Mobile in that area that has the same issue?

Reading through this, I have the same problem.  oho was right next to me and then voicemail notification cane up.  Nothing showing in recent calls, do not disturb was nit on, phone was not muted.  I am in cancer treatment and missing a call is not acceptable.  I have turned off WiFi to see if that is the problem.  Is there a setting not to use WiFi for calls?  I'll look.

Glad to see it's just not me, but worried this is a problem with the carrier.

Userlevel 4

Hey @pfchurchill

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble getting your calls! I know that in your situation especially they are incredibly important! Do you happen to know if this only happens when you are in a specific area?

I'm in Portland ME. I got tmobike since I am in Canada and Mexico for 6 to

7 months a year. This is the first summer back home in New England, and the

signal strength is not good. Out at the lake Verizon users get a strong

signal, at my home in Intervale NH, I have to sit on the front porch to

have a conversation. I restarted my phone and then get a callback from

Maine Med right away. So for now it's working (at least once).

Userlevel 4

That definitely sounds like a weak coverage area 😥 If you give us a call, we can collect your exact location information securely and we can get an engineering service request filed for this.

I am a long-time T-Mobile customer. In July I replaced my T-Mobile Note 4 with a new T-Mobile OnePlus Pro 7, which I purchased at the T-Mobile store. Ever since, I have had scam calls (about the only kind I get) go straight to voicemail, and--worst of all--the number they are calling from does NOT SHOW UP IN MY CALL HISTORY, so I can't even block them!! I just have to keep listening to the voicemails about student loans and then delete them. It's getting old fast. I never use Wi-Fi, so that can't be the problem. I get all bars with 4G LTE, so it shouldn't be a connection problem with the tower. It happens no matter where I am in any event. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just block the calls, but because the calls don't show up in my call history, I have nothing to tap and block. HELP!

Userlevel 4

No one likes scam/robo calls! We have a free service you should look into called Scam ID & Scam Block​. I used to get like 5 or so scam calls a day and this has helped tremendously. 

I am having similar issues in the Los Angeles metropolitan area.

I suspect that it is an issue with their 5G rollout.

(Always ask T Mobile support to have a site survey completed on your home towers by the engineers for the coverage.)

I don't know why T Mobile doesn't not install Cellular on Wheels in these areas where coverage is lacking.

They have thousands of Cellular on Wheels

I called 611 (T mobile Support)

I received a $20 Bill credit

They are sending me a signal booster that uses my Home Data capacity versus their network

Filing a complaint with the FCC is the only recourse

Filing an Informal Complaint | Federal Communications Commission

Re: Calls go straight to voicemail - phone doesn't ring (Samsung S6 on Nougat)

I received a call  from T-Mobile (800) 937-8997

After Authenticating my Account:

The representative was Terse and Curt

They Highly disliked my FCC Complaint

The Representative confirmed that my SITE SURVEY HAD FOUND A DOWN TOWER

I asked why they didn't implement a Cellular On Wheels to the outage area

They couldn't answer why they let customers receive low quality service

Then they attacked my equipment and the T mobile representative stated that even though all devices are made to be inter operator capable, that it was my equipment

I offered to have them send me a free of charge New device to test if that was really the issue

They refused and stated the only option was a costly upgrade

I refused their costly upgrade and their strong arm tactics

I have decided to file a California Public Utility Complaint

Index Page

I am having the same issue, all incoming calls are directly going to voicemail when I am connected to WiFi. As soon as I disconnect from WiFi, calls are coming in properly. I have OnePlus 5.

I've been having this issue for YEARS over various phones (at least the last 4 I've owned) all were from different manufacturers. To be exact it was a sidekick, 3iPhones, and now my Samsung Galaxy S9+. It doesn't matter if I'm connected to wifi or not. It doesnt matter how good the service is. T-Mobile just has a terrible network. I've stayed with them for so long because I was on a family plan that was dirt cheap, but now that I need my phone for business I'm definitely dropping them and switching over to someone more reliable. TMobile has done nothing except make excuses or sell me a new phone over this issue, and now that I've learned that this is a common issue with their service they won't be seeing another dollar from me.

tLdr: TMobile is unreliable and provides poor solutions for their shotty service. Change providers to fix the issue.

Userlevel 4

Hey folks! If this is happening when connected to Wi-Fi, please do give us a call so we can a support ticket opened and have our engineers further investigate.

Hi Chris, I have called multiple times on this issue and every time I was told one of the two -

1. "we cannot control your device when you are connected to Wi Fi, it is an issue with your ISP. Since your device is receiving calls when on T-Mobile network (disconnected from WiFi), T-Mobile is working as expected"

2. "since your device is not bought from T-Mobile, we cannot do anything, buy a new device from T-Mobile".

Check out below given possible solutions.

1st Way: Turn on safe mode to check any third party app cause any error

2nd Way: Clear phone app cache

3rd Way: Uninstall Phone app update and update again

4th Way: Remove the app and re-install again if third party app use

We hope above given one of the methods used to fix your issue.

Hey folks! If this is happening when connected to Wi-Fi, please do give us a call so we can a support ticket opened and have our engineers further investigate.

Happening to me now - will call, thanks. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

I have similar issues with a Samsung J7 Prime.  Incoming calls go to voice mail, but the phone does not ring. Volume is turned, no blocked calls, wifi is working, and the settings have been reset.  The phone used to receive incoming calls and ring about 2 weeks ago, but it has stopped working.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks

Badge +1

My son and I are having the exact same issue as @Paul888 and it is beyond frustrating.  2 different Samsung phones, but the same problem.

Please help us!