Question

Is Xiaomi FINALLY coming to America and T-Mobile?

• 27 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

I’ve been keenly watching Xiaomi reviews on YouTube for YEARS.  Those people release a new value phone every 10 minutes.  WHILE YOU READ THIS POST they’ll announce another new phone.

Anyway -- anyone who knows Xiaomi knows their phones don’t necessarily support enough channels to use in America and on T-Mobile.  But in their recent presentation for the Redmi Note 10 S --

For those who don’t know the significance of this -- it’s hopefully a big WOW.  As long as T-Mobile doesn’t intentionally purchase the most expensive Xiaomi phones to offer ‘half off’ --

-- it means the days of carrying around a $1000 Apple or Samsung and praying you don’t drop and break it are over.  The Redmi 10s is like $225ish and enough phone for most people.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would love to see Xiaomi phones sold in North America and get carrier adaptation, but the reality is…  It probably won’t happen.  Not only is their bottom line very small, but carriers also want deals.  You can’t give someone a deal when their profit margins are already so slim.  The most important reason is though, is that Chinese companies do not respect or follow US and International patent laws, preventing them from ever selling their devices officially in North America.  

Badge

I would love to see Xiaomi phones sold in North America and get carrier adaptation, but the reality is…  It probably won’t happen

So that image I posted is a fiction?

And Xiaomi phones are a deal for carriers.  A $200 phone can be passed onto the customer as $8 a month added onto your normal bill.  Xiaomi doesn’t make money off the phones as much as the brand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I don't know. if it is fake, but I would guess that it is likely that it is.  Xiaomi can't make money sellimg to carriers at a loss.  Yes, they don't make a lot on their devices as it is, but companies like T-Mobile and AT&T expect deep discounts on devices they resell.  Even OnePlus devices sold by T-Mobile are sold slightly above MSRP.  That could also be the T-Mobile in the UK/EU logo. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve been wanting this for quite some time but I’m sure there are regulations and other issues BUT I also somehow feel there’s definitely an anti-competitive thing going on with Samsung (especially) and others.  Samsung has been just awful devices for what they charge.  

The US carrier's offerings are horrible.  It’s either iPhone or Samsung something.  OnePlus was really the only saving grace but even then, they’re having issues.  I miss the days where HTC, LG, and other brands offered halfway decent phones back in the days.  

And we wonder why our tech sector in many ways is lagging behind other countries.  Every company wants to do its own crap and stifle innovation.  Samsung’s new Galaxy can finally charge the battery in a little over an hour?  Big whoop...still take OnePlus any day and it’s still considered slower than Xiaomi.

Can i buy a redmi note 10 s on aliexpress and activate it on tmobile and use it without dropped calls and get 5g?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Can i buy a redmi note 10 s on aliexpress and activate it on tmobile and use it without dropped calls and get 5g?

Phones don’t require activation on the T-Mobile network!  You simply just put your SIM in the device and if it is SIM unlocked and supports the bands and software needed (very crucial) to connect to the T-Mobile network.  Then it will work.  VoLTE is pretty much mandatory for devices to make calls over the T-Mobile network.  T-Mobile uses the same profile for its services that Google does, which is the Android standard.  Companies like Verizon, AT&T, and many others around the world, choose to use different profiles for VoLTE and WiFi Calling services, which make those services not function on T-Mobile.  

Looking at the supported 4G bands for the Redmi Note 10.  You won’t have a very good experience.  T-Mobile uses bands 2, 4, 12, 41, 66, and 71.  Pretty much any deployment in the past more than half a decade has focused on bands 12, 66, and 71, all of which, the Redmi Note 10 does not support.  Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)