Question

LG IMS HAS STOPPED

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was able to find a solution that works. 

1. Turn off your Wi-Fi and keep it off or the box “LG IMS has stopped” will pop back up. Simply repeat the steps below to remove it again. 
  2. You can navigate the phone with the message “LG IMS has stopped”  just click any space on your phone screen around the box.. It will reappear in about three seconds so you will go a bit slower until you complete the steps below. 

Steps to clear LG IMS has stopped box

Go to settings> storage//internal storage>other apps>hit three dots in upper right hand corner...>show system>scroll to find, com.lge.ims.rcsprovider (was not in order on my phone)>clear data/cache. 

The box will disappear. 

28 replies

Mine still says- LG IMS keeps stopping

Not mine either

This issue happens to me on both WiFi and Off. I have tried every one of the steps on all threads except for factory reset.  I did notice that I also now have No mobile data and No IP SECTION in hidden menu. No response from Tmobile except LG is aware and working on it so waiting game I guess.

Userlevel 1

Very disappointed.  Well it's time to move carriers I suppose.  What good is paying a couple hundred dollars a month for a cell phone service that you can't even use.  

Called last night TMobile support and they said they reported the issue with my LG V60 and to give it about 5-hours. If still not resolved within 5-hours, then I would have to call LG, as they are the manufacturer. Even though TMobile pushed out the update on the LG phones. Doesn’t make sense, if we are paying TMobile and not LG. TMobile is responsible for this pushout update and malfunctioning on many phones. Thus far from last night’s ~10PM call and this morning, there has been no follow up from TMobile representative. The above resolutions to reset in the app LG IMS and cache and force stop, turning off wi-fie does not work. I tried using a different new LG V60 phone and didn’t work either. Reset it it and immediately got the same message, LG IMS keeps stopping [App info or Close app]. When is this going to be resolved?

Userlevel 2

IMS Problem:

When you call LG they say it s a T. Mobile update problem. T Mobile needs to fix it. 

This is the updated information I found Regarding Lg IMS Issue.LG has now officially left the smartphone business and this marks the end of an era. Despite the fact the company will not be making any new phones (sadly for all the innovations we were seeing from them), there are still many good phones the company released that will continue to be supported for their remaining time. This way, if you want to get an LG phone, you can still do that. However, we would advise you to also check for how long the phone will be supported before you make your final decision.Do Samsung here I come

I have a k40, I have tried every trick listed all over the internet, none of them work. I guess it's a new phone? It started when I added an app. It was a trusted app, too. 

Userlevel 1

@sheribrack - It's not caused by downloading an app. T-Mobile pushed an update last night and now multiple LG phones are bricked. T-Mobile needs to fix this or provide credit for new phones! 

Userlevel 1

I agree with the thoughts here. 

T-Mobile should be reaching out via e-mail to the customers who have LG phones telling them (us) that they are aware of the issue and are owning it and therefore will resolve fixing the issue. 

T-Mobile can’t claim they are not responsible! We bought our phones through them (at least I did) and that should not let them off the hook. 

What happened to proactive customer service?  T-Mobile is aware of these events, or at least should be if they are collecting their telemetry correctly. They could had jumped on this informing all they are on top of it. 

I think they just assume impacted folks will purchase a new phone (which they get the kickbacks).

Businesses only react (not respond) based on the pain they feel their customers are experiencing and whether the customers will cause bad press or churn (leave). 

I am getting more disappointed with this company over the years. It seems they have included folks from companies like Sprint who had it all wrong when it came to customer service. 

If this is not fixed by today, I am jumping ship. Verizon provides a nice package that is tempting at the moment. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,
it seems Tmobile upgraded the IMS Software Stack in core network during Saturday.
Please consider that:
1- the source of problem is not your LG phone. because LG stopped updating most of the phones.
2-Factory Reset will not help.
3- Force Stopping IMS and VoLTE feature in your phone, make your phone malfunction, unreliable.
4- The built-in VoLTE and IMS are part of the core of Android. if you check you see it tries to connect to T-Mobile and it is draining your battery fast.
5- Since the LG phones are T-Mobile certified I expect T-Mobile address it as soon as possible. even rolling back the new software until LG phone problem are solved.
6- I expect compensation from T-mobile, since Saturday my time is wasted and my phone doesn’t work properly even in Flight Mode. even I cannot use basic apps because of Err messages and slow response in my phone

Thank you 

Userlevel 3

"LG IMS has stopped working" popup every 4 seconds rendering T-mobilr/LG phones almost unusable!

Monday May 23 1:30p ET finally got through to T-mobile tech support again now after 24 hours ---T-mobile engaged in criminal act, They are offering 2 solutions while blaming LG (phone functions fine and browses perfectly with T-MOBILE SIM CARD REMOVED (LESS PHONE/TEXT).

T-MOBILE SAYS:

1) FACTORY RESET ---do not do...does not work

OR

2) They will swap you a REVVL 5G phone for ‘free’ after ‘refundable upfront costs (and of course a contract)

UNACCEPTABLE!

They are illegally forcing the retirement of 3Gand 4G phones to up-sell customers to the (cheaper for them to run), 5G phones which may be more dangerous and are not as good quality or features as our LG phones. The REVVL phones have permanent batteries which go bad in a year. My LG has a superior low light camera.

I want only a phone with a replaceable battery like both my LG V20 phones with enhanced audio

JUST FIX THE DELIBERATE PROBLEM AND GO PUBLIC WITH IT.

Time for us to call each State Attorney General and demand an investigation.

Userlevel 1

I agree with the state AG. The solution offered is NOT acceptable. My phone LG G7thinQ is 5G though close to 3+ years old. I get really upset that these expensive devices do not last.  Each time these carriers laydown new generations of their network they know they are going to have to expire older generations to save money on spectrum, infrastructure, and get all the customers re-upped on new devices. My phone has slowly gotten worse over the years, usb-c input does not work, the battery (can’t be easily replaced)  sucks,  the operating system is slow, etc.,. 

I did not agree to have the update pushed to my phone to cause the havoc!  What happened to testing releases prior to pushes? 

I will reach out to tech support for the fix (how is is when I want to add a service a rep is on the line in seconds but when it comes to support its like riding in an empty elevator going nowhere slowly pitching a broken record?)

If not satisfied I will look to another carrier ASAP and write as many reviews of T-Mobile as I can… as well as reach out to the WA AG. 

T-Mobile is refusing to take responsibility for this LG device problem, in spite of the fact that they sold me what is now virtually a defective phone. I was told to call LG, HELLO, my phone is not working. They acknowledged that they "Partnered" with LG & understand that there is no partnership between LG & myself yet I should call their Partner? They are culpable, they sold me the phone. They are refusing to provide a replacement or trade in credit. The only option they gave me was to purchase a new phone & because my 20 year account is in good standing, they generously offered to finance my new phone! Shame on them for treating us like this, with no warning. And just a heads up to those attempting to find a work around I was advised if I attempted a factory reset I may lose all my data & not be able to retrieve it later. I filed a complaint with the FCC, the state Attorney General may be a better choice since the AG has the power to file a class action suit.

Userlevel 2

T-Mobile I smell a class action lawsuit. This is your fault not LG.

Userlevel 3

T-Mobile is refusing to take responsibility for this LG device problem, in spite of the fact that they sold me what is now virtually a defective phone. I was told to call LG, HELLO, my phone is not working. They acknowledged that they "Partnered" with LG & understand that there is no partnership between LG & myself yet I should call their Partner? They are culpable, they sold me the phone. They are refusing to provide a replacement or trade in credit. The only option they gave me was to purchase a new phone & because my 20 year account is in good standing, they generously offered to finance my new phone! Shame on them for treating us like this, with no warning. And just a heads up to those attempting to find a work around I was advised if I attempted a factory reset I may lose all my data & not be able to retrieve it later. I filed a complaint with the FCC, the state Attorney General may be a better choice since the AG has the power to file a class action suit.

Agree wholeheartedly but there is no problem with the phone. I love my phone and want to keep my phone. Roll back the update that rendered these LG phones crippled.

Userlevel 3

"LG IMS has stopped working" popup

AFTER 2 DAYS TRYING TO FIX, i SUCCEEDED WITH THE ‘PARTIAL FIX’ DOING THE FOLLOWING:

NOTES:

• i have two LG V20 Phones and Fix worked for both when following these steps precisely.
  • This fix is lost if you turn the WIFI back on or if phone is set to auto turn on when rebooting/turning on phone.
  • Fix was not lost once resolved by rebooting phone.
  • Fix does not seem to hinder phone operations other than WIFI must remain OFF. You can send & receive calls/texts with no popups.
  • If you need WIFI  for watching video, doing backups, etc., turn back on, but realize nuisance popup will resume and you will need to redo these below steps until T-mobile fixes the problem they caused.
  • Call your State Attorney General and insist on an investigation.

FIX

1. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE
  2. Turn off WIFI
  3. REBOOT PHONE (ensure WIFI didn’t restart or make it stay off in phone settings
  4. Go to settings →
  5. Apps/notifications ->
  6. App info ->
  7. Three dots ->
  8. Show System ->
  9. com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  10. Storage
  11. CLEAR CACHE
  12. FORCE STOP  (After clearing CACHE)
  13. CLEAR DATA (This will not delete your texts)
  14. FORCE STOP  (After clearing DATA)
  15. Leave Settings. Popups should stop.
  16. Reboot. Popups should remain gone unless you turn WIFI back on.

T-mobile still has not addressed this massive problem publicly as of Mon May 23 10:15pm ET.. Shameful and possibly criminal.

Userlevel 3

@sheribrack - It's not caused by downloading an app. T-Mobile pushed an update last night and now multiple LG phones are bricked. T-Mobile needs to fix this or provide credit for new phones! 

Provide for new phones with equal or better features. My LG  V20 has a  replaceable battery; superb low light video; enhance audio; actual 3/16” headset jack; 1440 x 2560 pixels; --- THAT WILL BE A TOUGH ORDER.

From your home screen, please go into Settings.

Under the Networks tab, and select Mobile Networks.

In this menu go to Access Point Names. Hit 3 dots. Hit Restore Default Settings.

You may see the option for Disable 2G and 3g.

This setting will disable 2G and 3g service on the device.

LTE enables and IMS may correct. 💯 

Leave feedback if I helped you. :)

Happy to help. 😊

Thanx Didi. Didn't work for me but may help others.

"LG IMS has stopped working" popup

AFTER 2 DAYS TRYING TO FIX, i SUCCEEDED WITH THE ‘PARTIAL FIX’ DOING THE FOLLOWING:

NOTES:

• i have two LG V20 Phones and Fix worked for both when following these steps precisely.
  • This fix is lost if you turn the WIFI back on or if phone is set to auto turn on when rebooting/turning on phone.
  • Fix was not lost once resolved by rebooting phone.
  • Fix does not seem to hinder phone operations other than WIFI must remain OFF. You can send & receive calls/texts with no popups.
  • If you need WIFI  for watching video, doing backups, etc., turn back on, but realize nuisance popup will resume and you will need to redo these below steps until T-mobile fixes the problem they caused.
  • Call your State Attorney General and insist on an investigation.

FIX

1. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE
  2. Turn off WIFI
  3. REBOOT PHONE (ensure WIFI didn’t restart or make it stay off in phone settings
  4. Go to settings →
  5. Apps/notifications ->
  6. App info ->
  7. Three dots ->
  8. Show System ->
  9. com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  10. Storage
  11. CLEAR CACHE
  12. FORCE STOP  (After clearing CACHE)
  13. CLEAR DATA (This will not delete your texts)
  14. FORCE STOP  (After clearing DATA)
  15. Leave Settings. Popups should stop.
  16. Reboot. Popups should remain gone unless you turn WIFI back on.

T-mobile still has not addressed this massive problem publicly as of Mon May 23 10:15pm ET.. Shameful and possibly criminal.

HOLY CRAP!  THIS WORKED!!!  I suggest having separate screens open for the cache, the data clearing, and force stop so that you can all go back and forth quickly before that STUPID error pops up again.  You gotta be quick!!!  Tmobile tried the clear cache and force stop for the com.lge.ims.rcsprovider, but you've got to clear cache, then force stop, clear data, then force stop.  It may need 3 or 4 tries in this order, THEN REBOOT!!  I spent HOURS on this today, but this solution worked!!  I wanna cry and dance!!  Thank you, thank you!!  I DID NOT do a factory reset either!  I've been with Tmobile since 2006, and am relatively pissed they haven't fixed this.  I am not buying a new phone because they had some firmware update outside LG's parameters!! 

I really appreciate all the people who reached out to help LG Device Owners, you were all awesome to take the time to help. Although the recommended fixes didn't help with my phone I am happy to report my phone is again working. I suspect T-Mobile & LG adjusted their independent networks to restore transmission between the two. Thanks again.

My phone has not worked correctly since 5-22. I found "restore APN to defaults" early this morning and I can now use my phone as a you guessed it.  PHONE! T- Mobile did nothing to help and haven't apologized for anything.  They could have sent an email  or made a statement or something! I went to the store yesterday and was told "Nothing we can do".  But we can sell you a new phone.

T-MOBILE Business model

CRIME PAYS!!!

Badge

LG has released a fix. See this thread: 

This issue happens to me on both WiFi and Off. I have tried every one of the steps on all threads except for factory reset.  I did notice that I also now have No mobile data and No IP SECTION in hidden menu. No response from Tmobile except LG is aware and working on it so waiting game I guess.

I'm having this same issue still. I got the pop up to stop days ago, but I have no Mobile network, and it says IP unavailable. Did you get a fix for that? I just get thr same run around answer