Solved

Native Messenger 1MB text limitations

I like using the native Samsung messaging app on my Galaxy S8 but I always get a notice, when sending gifs and such, that the max size is 1MB. Is there a fix for this? Do I have a setting wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 10 June 2017, 21:34

View original

20 replies

Ok, I found out via the T-Mobile website self-help section that mms can not exceed 1MB. So how am I able to send mms through Textra that are greater than 1MB?

Userlevel 3

Hey, @apexdestroyer​! I'm glad you were able to answer your basic question using the info in the Picture and video message (MMS) issues document. My basic understanding here is that a third party messaging app would be bound to the same basic network rules in place for native/stock messaging -- so I don't think that a third party app is going to be able to send an MMS file over 1MB, either. Have you had a chance to give it a shot? If I'm wrong here, I'd love to know!

- Marissa

You are correct. I sent a few pictures through Textra and they were all over 2MB. They were sent with no problems. On the receiveing end, the pictures were compressed and/or reduced to about 300kb-500kb each.

So, I am assuming that Textra auto-converts these (even when the max file size allowed in Textra is set to "none")

Is there a way to have the stock Samsung app auto-compress as well instead of giving me a 1MB limit notice while trying to send?

Userlevel 3

So, firstly -- I apologize for using the word "basic" three times in my original reply, because I just reread it and it made my skin crawl!

I don't know of a way to force the native app to auto-compress, though that would definitely be useful functionality. When the error message pops up for you, are there any next step options, or only the ability to dismiss it? In Messaging > Settings, do you see an Advanced messaging: Samsung Galaxy S8​ menu? If so, can you check that your image size option is set to send images as Best Available?

- Marissa

Basically,😀 I can only dismiss the notification. There is not an advanced messaging setting but I can adjust the multimedia limit to either "Automatically accept all" or "Automatically accept files less than 9765 MB in size"

I have "all" selected.

Also setting for image size is set to "best available"

Userlevel 3

Thanks for giving those steps that Marissa recommended a shot. From doing some digging, at this time, there is no way to have the native messaging app auto-compress files before sending. The best recommendation would be to utilize a 3rd party app such as the one you mentioned above.

Badge

I gotta tell you this is the latest surprise with tmobile service and makes the "unlimited" such a fallacy. I moved from V +iphone to Tmobile+Samsung on Android and there is no question in my mind after 3 weeks of usage that it is a far inferior product and service. Iphones are costly but there is a CLEAR advantage. Omg who would think unlimited would limit the size of pictures or video text or otherwise in the year 2017!!!   I'm pretty sure Android is worse then Tmobile in this stack of inferiority. As soon as the iphone 8 comes out I'm dropping this android/samsung duo. To everyone out there thinking android is a good thing.... absolutely not!!!  that return button makes for the worse user interface too.

Badge +1

This, for the most part, has nothing to do with T Mobile.

First, you came from an Iphone, Iphone has imessage. A very good and complete messenger service that we do not have on android, once you realize that you either need to move back to apple or get over it and find a better way, like the rest of us.

As to why. The built in app we use for text messaging is a basic sms app. Go back fifteen years to a flip phone and it is the same basic method of sending messages. Imessage on the other hand works like whatsapp or allo (data) but uses sms as a backup. that is why it is so complete. Android has nothing like this, for the most part. If you use imessage and see a green bubble you know they are either not using imessage or have no data. So when you try to send a picture it has to compress the pic to be able to send it.

Googles messaging is a giant cluster frak. They have google messages, basic SMS, google allo/duo, which are messengers with video phone calling like whatsapp, only better. Even though everyone is screaming for google to merge the two to create basically imessages for android they have not, and might not.

Google came out with RMS, rich message service, that works nearly identical to imessage. The issue is the carriers. The program is totally open source (or whatever the correct terminology is) Only sprint in the US and a couple of canadian carriers use the actual google system. Verizon will not use it because they have verizon messages, a good but only if you have verizon app. Don't know what ATT does with it. T-Mobile uses it but they use their own variation so it only works tmobile to tmobile, if you have the correct phone, and not if you bought a non tmobile phone.

Basically, carriers are trying to do their own thing, google is drunk, and we have a choice of a lot of good message services that no one can agree on, whatsapp is the most popular, or seems to be. The carriers in the US hamstring everything. Iphone users will not use a separate messenger then complain about green bubbles. So SMS is the standart, very outdated standard, in the US and since google will not build an imessage clone and make it the built in app we have a headache.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

hartbjh@gmail.com wrote:

This, for the most part, has nothing to do with T Mobile.

First, you came from an Iphone, Iphone has imessage. A very good and complete messenger service that we do not have on android, once you realize that you either need to move back to apple or get over it and find a better way, like the rest of us.

As to why. The built in app we use for text messaging is a basic sms app. Go back fifteen years to a flip phone and it is the same basic method of sending messages. Imessage on the other hand works like whatsapp or allo (data) but uses sms as a backup. that is why it is so complete. Android has nothing like this, for the most part. If you use imessage and see a green bubble you know they are either not using imessage or have no data. So when you try to send a picture it has to compress the pic to be able to send it.

Googles messaging is a giant cluster frak. They have google messages, basic SMS, google allo/duo, which are messengers with video phone calling like whatsapp, only better. Even though everyone is screaming for google to merge the two to create basically imessages for android they have not, and might not.

Google came out with RMS, rich message service, that works nearly identical to imessage. The issue is the carriers. The program is totally open source (or whatever the correct terminology is) Only sprint in the US and a couple of canadian carriers use the actual google system. Verizon will not use it because they have verizon messages, a good but only if you have verizon app. Don't know what ATT does with it. T-Mobile uses it but they use their own variation so it only works tmobile to tmobile, if you have the correct phone, and not if you bought a non tmobile phone.

Basically, carriers are trying to do their own thing, google is drunk, and we have a choice of a lot of good message services that no one can agree on, whatsapp is the most popular, or seems to be. The carriers in the US hamstring everything. Iphone users will not use a separate messenger then complain about green bubbles. So SMS is the standart, very outdated standard, in the US and since google will not build an imessage clone and make it the built in app we have a headache.

Carriers already pushed out their RCS services roughly 2 year prior to Google making Jibe.  T-Mobile even open sourced the baseline for all the communications called IMS which gave way to things like VoLTE, WiFi calling, and RCS all of which goes over the IMS protocol, and IS a standard.  They open sourced theirs and offered it to carriers around the world just for better interloping between carriers.  So Google makes a standard based off T-Moibles standard.  Even Samsung is pushing out their own.  Anyway T-Mobile DECIDED to work with ALL standards on their network not just their own.  With that in mind it'll take time to complete support every single one of them without messing up their network.  Projection Jibe support is end of this year as well as Samsung version.  Sprint because they don't have the money nor willing to spend the resources always takes what others are willing to give them so they don't have to spend higher developmental costs.

Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

iMessages has a 10MB limit just like T-Mobiles RCS(technically RCS supports up to 10GB, but carrier restrictions.  Just think of all the pirating lol) last I remember.  iMessages uses data, and eats into you data pool which RCS uses data but does not eat data but counts as SMS and with SMS dying for IMS soon Apple messenger has to support IMS messaging in order to keep it's backup and actually starts to devalue iMessages hence why they added games, stickers, and doing a redesign.  The only thing that would have going for it is end to end encryption, but once Android goes full IMS if you want end to end you can use a 3rd party app and have that, but I believe manufacturers are adopting it on their own.  I haven't tested the new beta for iOS but I have a feeling they may be implementing IMS/RCS support (may not be fully turned on) just in case.

T-Mobile will let any manufacturer put their stuff in the base code, with the only thing they wish is to test it out against their security and network to ensure there is no chance the carrier can be affected by possible compromises or network strain due to bad code.  Remember T-Mobile Open sources their code.

Badge +1

What is RCS Messaging, and How Does It Work? | Digital Trends

In the U.S., T-Mobile and AT&T have implemented versions of RCS that only work on their respective networks; they don’t conform to the Universal Profile. Sprint’s does, but it isn’t available on all devices.

“A big question mark is whether carriers will move at a reasonable speed to create interoperability,” Shirey said. “We haven’t seen much activity here.”

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-making-it-easier-carriers-communicate-over-rcs

GSMA Announces Version 2 of the RCS Universal Profile Standard

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

hartbjh@gmail.com wrote:

What is RCS Messaging, and How Does It Work? | Digital Trends

In the U.S., T-Mobile and AT&T have implemented versions of RCS that only work on their respective networks; they don’t conform to the Universal Profile. Sprint’s does, but it isn’t available on all devices.

“A big question mark is whether carriers will move at a reasonable speed to create interoperability,” Shirey said. “We haven’t seen much activity here.”

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-making-it-easier-carriers-communicate-over-rcs

GSMA Announces Version 2 of the RCS Universal Profile Standard

Look at the dates. July 2017 that was printed and there still no available APIs which makes it harder to work with and have to work with proprietary 3rd party applications.  So that is a moot argument right now.  Also T-Mobile pushed their own version out sometime in 2013-2014 I don't remember exactly when.  Also like I said T-Mobile open sourced there's and OFFERED it to the world which no one took and T-Mobile was the first carrier to push out RCS even if it was their own.

I also further explained Google's Jibe uses a lot of T-Mobiles own code, and even T-Mobile is working on pushing out Jibe support on their network by end of 2017 including Samsungs version.  T-Mobile is doing this because there isn't a finished standard and that's all they can do to offer better interloping support.  I believe the rest of the world still hasn't even adopted any standard to date because well just look at how many are out there.

Current implementations of RCS goes through the IMS protocol with allows any data to not count towards data buckets.  With limitations to maximum bandwidth for "network" optimizations, and data caps this should matter to people.  The previous baby versions which you may try to elude to went through data channels and counted towards your data, and I have used them before and you had to find people and convince them to install them and that's why they don't catch on.  Much like Allo/Duo, Hangouts, and such only catch the techies and not normal users.

So it's coming to T-Mobile and T-Mobile will use whatever is available until one standard wins the world at the end.  So just some more information on it.  Now pay attention to some of your articles talking about late 2017 API's will be finalized.  Then look at the response.  Sems like T-Mobile is waiting for things to be finalized before implementing it.  That's just my opinion.  https://twitter.com/TMobileHelp/status/902574344970186752

Badge

that is an absolutely fabulous answer. However, the sheer magnitude of it probably would scare away most wouldbie switchers.  Texting is basic, we take it for granted yes, never would have thought to even ask this question. The fact that its still basic texting 15 years later, says a lot.

Since I wrote this post, I have run into android people and asked them about texting issues and well its a secondary method of communication and they use VR instead of keyboard.  I have a tmobile Iphone buddy that has no issues with his Iphone 7 on Tmobile. We text a lot especially when skiing or socializing or traveling. Bottom line is if you're a sms oriented person forget about Android/Google/Samsung axis.

I have also witnessed with many screen prints as evidence a lot of woes on my Android/samsung with social media apps while having many others open.  This is a pristine samsung 7 with no custom apps of any kind having these issues. Conclusion: live with it until the Iphone 8 comes out and prices of the iph7 drop. Anyone want a Samsung 7 cheap!!

Download Textra  It's free and doesn't have a size limitation.

L2Android you Iphone Scrub

All these answers to a simple question that could have been resolved in 2 simple words.

"Download Textra"

*edited to soften language - Marissa

Badge +1

Textra does not limit size but carriers do. Textra, and most other 3rd party sms apps have an unrestricted size limit but since it is still SMS carriers have to have size limits. Data messengers do not.

Not edited to soften language  :-)

I recently switched from AT&T to TMO and find this issues almost a deal breaker for me .I have been a long time Android user and never had this problem on AT&T using the stock messaging app. I downloaded Textra which solved this problem but creates 2 others. Textra doesn't support Android auto and I can no longer read my texts on my Garmin watch.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

AT&T has the same file size restrictions. You can check their knowledge base and it'll give the same numbers.

Userlevel 3

Just an FYI, @apexdestroyer​ - in Q2, the RCS Universal Profile should go live on the T-Mobile network and I think i saw 100MB as the limit (this includes between carriers). 

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/rcs-messaging-leadership.htm

Just wish Apple would support RCS...

Thanks @j.a.r.v.i.s that's good news!

Actually, , , , Here it is, the end of 2021, blazing fast 5G, T Mobiles outrageous prices, bad azz phones, and T Mobile STILL limits MMS to ONE mg (sending, 3mg receive. Those 10 and 100mg limits ppl ate talking about - like 3 yrs ago - are for email and other type shares. NOT SMS/MMS. And just to clarify - Google made it clear years ago that it wasn't practical for them to inbuild a proper SMS/MMS service when providers have the ability and resources to make there own - and insist on bloating Android apps anyway. Most providers have put no real effort into modifying the basic android messenger, likely believing (or hoping) that 5G speeds would see texting replaced by video chat/messaging (like Marco Polo?). Not going to happen - we love to text, and half of us hate cameras. I havent used a "stock" Android messenger for 10 years or more, but I remember that Verizon had the best variant, but I hated Verizon for what they did to Primeco - so Ive always used Mood Messenger. Its the best Ive ever seen, totally customisable down to tiny details, every conversation different, any BG, colors, shapes, fonts you want. Works on all devices, so I get all my messages, pics and customisations on my Android phone, my ipad, my Chromebook, and they just released, (or are about to [I cant remember])the Windows version - perfect for Win 11 (though my Asus app shows my phone on my laptop anyway). Has a fun "Party mode" to stop you from drunk texting, message received/read notifications. Coolest, most customisable messenger on Android or iOS - for free. Set as default and delete any Google, Apple, or provider supplied messenger. Only ever had one problem - sending MMS from OLD outdated ipad2, but excellent customer service walked me through the settings and fixed in 2 min. From what I remember, it does it all for free, but for reasons I dont remember (other than I love it so much), I pay for Premium. Its only $5 a YEAR, and all my messages, pics, everything, from every device Ive used in the last 10 years is saved and backed up. Get a new phone, DL the app and all my messages, pics, contacts, settings, everything is already there. But, yes - your provider sets MMS limits. And TMobile is still stuck on 1mg/3mg - even when you pay $100 a month for unlimited plans. BUT, in Mood Messengers settings, if you set your MMS size limit to 4mg (or no limit), Mood will automatically compress the file to send it, then the receivers provider (or messenger) will shrink it to their receiving limit (3mg for TMobile). Not sure if that 4mg setting works with other providers, I got that from TMobile CS after telling them that I use Mood. Anyway - this was way too long. Google/Android will never fix their basic messaging app. Providers arent interested , they think we'll grow out of txting. Unless Apple does something magical, 3rd party is the only way. Ive used every app I could find and nothing compares to Mood. Even if I have to pay - its $5 a YEAR.

The 1MB file size limit for sending media via native messaging apps like WhatsApp or Messenger can be restricting for brands trying to share high-quality images, videos or documents with customers. While you can get creative with compressing media, this restriction means rich multimedia content often gets degraded.

RCS messaging helps solve this pain point. RCS stands for Rich Communication Services, and it's the next evolution in messaging beyond SMS and MMS. RCS supports media sharing up to 100MB, so brands can send high-res images, long videos, PDF brochures and other large files without compromising quality or size.

RCS also enables great features like read receipts, live typing indicators, location sharing, group messaging and more to drive more engaging conversations. With enhanced capabilities powered by RCS messaging services, the days of being limited by 1MB transfer caps will be over, and brands can finally communicate with customers unencumbered