Solved

One UI 5.0 Stable Release

• 24 October 2022
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

One UI 5.0 (Android 13) is finally rolling out across Europe, and now in the US starting with Verizon. When is the T-Mobile stable release coming?

https://www.sammobile.com/news/verizon-starts-one-ui-5-0-update-for-galaxy-s22-series-usa/

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 24 October 2022, 22:02

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

when their variant is stable and ready.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile is usually last on Samsung’s list to finish and push an update for.  It also varies by device as well.  The newer the device, the more priority it will get to have the update finished first.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

T-Mobile is usually last on Samsung’s list to finish and push an update for.  It also varies by device as well.  The newer the device, the more priority it will get to have the update finished first.  

Thank you. Good to know. I currently have the Galaxy S22 Ultra, but in the future I may either go with a Google device or maybe even back to Apple, where the updates are more consistent. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The S22 Ultra should be at the top of the list.  Once Verizon and AT&T have their updates out, then it shouldn't be too long after for T-Mobile.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

as of right now the S22 is in development for 13 but thats about it so far until there are updates on that page.

keep an eye out here.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/support/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is odd that phones locked to TMO (S22 series) are able to participate in the One UI 5 beta (unlike AT&T or Verizon), yet somehow, TMO can’t get an OS update out in a timely manner? I was in the beta and received the stable version yesterday. IF TMO-locked phones can participate in the beta, then it is clear that the S22 series on TMO is ready for the stable update now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile's implentation for things in Android, like VoLTE and WiFi Calling are the stock implementation that Google uses.  It is easier to test with stock and then customize after.

Userlevel 1
Badge

All of that is true. So there remains no reason that TMO isn’t, in fact, first in pushing out OS updates.

So I'm guessing T-Mobile customers won't get Android 13 by end of October like all reports say Galaxy s22 Ultra should have it by. Maybe we should all sign up with Verizon so we can get updates on time. Plus T-Mobile description of "what's new" in Android 13 is big time lacking on information of everything that's new. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

So I'm guessing T-Mobile customers won't get Android 13 by end of October like all reports say Galaxy s22 Ultra should have it by. Maybe we should all sign up with Verizon so we can get updates on time. Plus T-Mobile description of "what's new" in Android 13 is big time lacking on information of everything that's new. 

no one is really stopping you from doing this. if you are saying this hoping someone will jump in and start firing out updates to keep you as a customer you’ll be quite disappointed.

Thank you. Good to know. I currently have the Galaxy S22 Ultra, but in the future I may either go with a Google device or maybe even back to Apple, where the updates are more consistent. 

switching phone companies cuz an update takes a few more days is crazy 💀

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use many devices. It’s not as crazy as you think.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is odd that phones locked to TMO (S22 series) are able to participate in the One UI 5 beta (unlike AT&T or Verizon), yet somehow, TMO can’t get an OS update out in a timely manner? I was in the beta and received the stable version yesterday. IF TMO-locked phones can participate in the beta, then it is clear that the S22 series on TMO is ready for the stable update now.

I participated in the beta as well. I returned to the stable build of One UI 4.1 because Google Wallet does not work with beta firmware.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m hearing that the unlocked version is the last to receive updates, so another week or so for T-Mo isn’t so bad.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I participated in the beta as well. I returned to the stable build of One UI 4.1 because Google Wallet does not work with beta firmware.

yep, since beta software isn't certified, Google Wallet/Pay won't work. (I use Samsung Wallet...worked like a champ)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

agreed..none of this is exactly new..V might get their update cleared to be kicked first..or ATT..all depends on whos update passes first..and or which company will shill out more money to have theirs at the top of the list as for priorities..

oddly enough you dont see anyone just jumping to a Pixel phone so they just get the updates direct..

Userlevel 1
Badge

agreed..none of this is exactly new..V might get their update cleared to be kicked first..or ATT..all depends on whos update passes first..and or which company will shill out more money to have theirs at the top of the list as for priorities..

oddly enough you dont see anyone just jumping to a Pixel phone so they just get the updates direct..

Actually, I own a Pixel as a backup.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the input, everyone. 👍🏽

Can you still get on the beta, thus get the stable?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Can you still get on the beta, thus get the stable?

No beta is limited and once it’s closed it’s closed.  You can always check smartswitch from time to time and see if it’s on the servers for stable.  There has been times where Samsung has it on smartswitch before they actually get released from carriers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

also want to say the reason T-Mobile doesn’t have the “update” even though it has beta is VOLUME.  T-Mobile sells nowhere near amount of volume that ATT and Verizon does.  Also Android always goes through what is called a staggered release.  Not all devices gets it day one.  This is even from Google devices.  It goes something like 1% then 5% then 25%, and so on.  This is because if something hits the fan they can limit the amount of potential broken devices.  Apple on the other hand pushes out the updates all at once and if you see their forums a lot of complaints happen around update time.

Userlevel 1
Badge

also want to say the reason T-Mobile doesn’t have the “update” even though it has beta is VOLUME.  T-Mobile sells nowhere near amount of volume that ATT and Verizon does.  Also Android always goes through what is called a staggered release.  Not all devices gets it day one.  This is even from Google devices.  It goes something like 1% then 5% then 25%, and so on.  This is because if something hits the fan they can limit the amount of potential broken devices.  Apple on the other hand pushes out the updates all at once and if you see their forums a lot of complaints happen around update time.

Good point. Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@ArkDlk 

You can also use T-Mobile’s own “Source of Truth”, the tracker for your device! Since this hasn’t been shared, I need to let you know that there is a specific page for this exact inquiry. 

Here is the page for the S22:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/software-updates/samsung-galaxy-s22-series-android-update

The good news is that, it’s generally only a matter of time! After a device completes testing, it then goes on to complete the development stage before being published. SO the good news is, it’s only an amount of time, in most cases...

The bad news, but other good news, is that there is no real time frame. We have these stages of development, but software is a fickle thing and it’s understandable they’d rather side on shipping working software later than bad software sooner if possible. Sometimes, things don’t work out, and ideally if your phone ultimately doesn’t get the update, the news would be indicated on the same page. All is to say, that web page is the ultimate answer for your question.

I’d recommend using this source of truth for status update as the page will refresh when the update is published. When I updated my OnePlus 8T I knew the update was ready since the webpage refreshed and updated. I also knew something happened when the webpage was later deleted for my OnePlus 7T Plus 5G and I was able to alert users here to the issue.

Just wanted to leave you with this webpage since you are being told the same thing I was told, that the blame is based on your device manufacturer, so instead I wanted to give you T-Mobile’s own tools for tracking this update so you have a better truth than the word of a forum user. I hope that helps :) If the page goes down, please let T-Mobile know so you can get an updated time frame for your Android Update. 

Lastly @tidbits Apple does do slow releases, known as “sever delayed requests” so basically this is a strange reply that isn’t factually correct. Mostly this reply is trying to tell you it’s not T-Mobile’s fault. That’s why I gave you T-Mobile’s own tracker, to show you they have their *own* tracking for their *own* update for their *own* network, as opposed to…. Other carriers which have their own trackers and time-lines for development as well. This is obvious as Android 13 is currently on other devices but not T-Mobile devices. 

That is a very long explanation and I apologize for the amount of detail, but you deserve an honest answer, and I hope that clears things up.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Lastly @tidbits Apple does do slow releases, known as “sever delayed requests” so basically this is a strange reply that isn’t factually correct. Mostly this reply is trying to tell you it’s not T-Mobile’s fault.

That’s different than what a Staggered release is.  You can download the update through iTunes, or on WiFi even if you can’t OTA it through carrier network which starts at day one for ALL iOS devices.  You need to understand the context of what a server delayed request is used for.  You don’t have to wait for anything or anyone for the update.

That’s why I gave you T-Mobile’s own tracker, to show you they have their *own* tracking for their *own* update for their *own* network, as opposed to…. Other carriers which have their own trackers and time-lines for development as well. This is obvious as Android 13 is currently on other devices but not T-Mobile devices. 

Like I said before my guy…  You don’t need the website to tell if you get the update or not.  It’s already been known it’s just a matter of when.  Samsung for as long as I have worked there has always tended to their biggest customers first.  I don’t see that changing any time soon.  Funny thing since it isn’t forked did you know if the author of this thread knew where to get the files he can install it and everything will work just fine since the update doesn’t touch the carrier partition. It’s been this way since the S7 when Samsung finally stopped forking their devices.

That is a very long explanation and I apologize for the amount of detail, but you deserve an honest answer, and I hope that clears things up.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

looks like it is rolling out now.  T-Mobile webpage hasn’t been update to reflect it.  Like a lot of us have been saying if they say you getting the update.  You getting it.  The site isn’t updated quick enough to always give you the most accurate things.  It’s only a matter of WHEN not IF you will get it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/yggghj/android_13_rolling_out_for_tmobile_for_s22_ultra/