Question

Phone Suddenly Drops Service unless on Wi-fi! -S22 Ultra

• 15 November 2023
  • 17 replies

Badge

S22 Ultra

Randomly a couple days ago my phone dropped all service and only have 1 bar or an X for cell signal when we have 5G in our area. After talking with online tech support we went to the store for better support.

• Went thru all the eSim/New Sim Card troubleshooting
  • Reset all phone/network settings.

Nothing works. I not have a $1000 brick that is 6 months out of warranty! It will work fine if on wi-fi calling and if I am driving around it will randomly pick up 5G service and work great (both cell and internet) for about 5 minutes and then it drops it again. SO FRUSTRATING! 

We have been customers for 9 years and have 7 phones on our plan (Large family) but since my phone has a really small pixel out around the camera (an issue that I have had since owning the phone) they won’t warranty it. It blows my mind that we can pay this much for phones and they have an issue that is obviously the phone and not from me dropping it or something. 

I’ve read that alot of other people have had this same issue. Has anyone ever figured out a fix? I don’t have an extra $1000 to spend at Xmas time!

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if you randomly drive around and it all of a sudden starts working again then its safe to say its not the phone..its your local tower or multiple towers..contact TMO and have them put in a network ticket for you.

Badge

I’ve already went thru 3 tickets with them and they say that since my phone can see the towers but not connect it has to be an issue with the phones antennae or board. Which makes no sense because when I do have 5G pop up, it works GREAT! until it drops out again. I don’t know how many miles a cell tower can cover but it almost feels like the phone picks up the towers service but then gets dropped off for some reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I’ve already went thru 3 tickets with them and they say that since my phone can see the towers but not connect it has to be an issue with the phones antennae or board. Which makes no sense because when I do have 5G pop up, it works GREAT! until it drops out again. I don’t know how many miles a cell tower can cover but it almost feels like the phone picks up the towers service but then gets dropped off for some reason.

thats my point..iif it were the phone its either not going to work or it works..there isnt a gray area for kind of works..the fact that it picks up 5G still still points back at network..wonder if theyre doing any upgrades? they might be working on a specific band or something and thats the primary one your phone picks up? i havent heard of any network issues as of yet with the S22 Ultra

the usual average to make sure youre connecting to another tower is roughly 5 miles give or take. to still have a workable signal its about 2-3 miles. but a lot will depend on tower location and whats between it and you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The issue could be with the phone itself. I had a phone that had similar issues, turned out to have some bad solder connections which caused it to erratic at times. I know you said they won’t warranty the phone but you might want to have the board checked by a tech if you can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

actually i missed asking one of my usual questions. are there other TMO phones around you? and if so how is their signal? if theirs is fine then yeah points right at that phone..

the warranty exchange part is pretty on point though..if your car was over warranty they wont do anything about that...pretty much goes for any warranty out there. some might let it slide if it were a week or so or a couple weeks but half a year over would be out of the question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I know I am a bit late to this party, but I wanted to check in. Are you still having the same issues @Mross506?

Fireguy_6364 is right: the best way to know if the phone is the culprit is to see if the same thing happens on another phone right next to yours. Testing your sim card in a known working device is also helpful to see if your sim card is going bad. 

I would also double check your wifi calling setting. There is a calling preferences option that can cause a lot of issues if it is not set to Cellular Preferred. You also want to make sure that your software is completely up to date and your not using any third party task manager or battery saver apps. Those can shut down ANY functionality if it is using “too much” data or power. 

I hope this helps. Happy Holidays. 

Badge

I'm having the same issue since the October update,  really pissing me off. I'm hoping the next update fixes it.

Badge

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Might I ask what signal meter is this. Have been looking for one like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The searching/emergency calls only us a known issue with the s22 and s23 series devices.  Samsung has not be able to fix it and it was an issue back early in the Android 14 beta.  Here's hoping a fix is coming soon.

I am having the same issue since like a month ago. I just ened up a call with tmobile where they did all kind of things. Restting the network, changing the e-sim card, and some other things and it didn’t work. I went and factory reset my phone and it did’t work. They contacted me with a Samsung technician and they had no idea what the problem could be. But he was like if you pay $600 and return your device we will give you the new one that came out today😂… So here is my issue with them. I am losing signal in places where I used to get good signal. For example at my brother’s house. I used to get good signal there until a month ago. And the funny thing is that we have 10 lines in our account, on new years eve, we where at my brother’s house and all the lines on my account had signal there except me. So i dont think it is a problem with thye tmobile tower other wise all the other lines on my account would lose signal too. So if tmobile or Samsung don’t know what to do, what are we supposed to do? Is the only solution to get a new phone?

The searching/emergency calls only us a known issue with the s22 and s23 series devices.  Samsung has not be able to fix it and it was an issue back early in the Android 14 beta.  Here's hoping a fix is coming soon.

Ive had 2 moto phones since december of 2021, they all have had this issue since then, a handful of updates and it still never got fixed and then moto abandoned them, no longer trying to fix the issue. I would presume samsung is doing the same. The problem is tmo network and the configuration of said network. The carrier aggregation with the tmo network is atrocious, does not work correctly and i dont see it getting fixed within the next couple of years. Its already been over 2 years since this issue started and we are still fighting tmo with it.

I am having the same issue since like a month ago. I just ened up a call with tmobile where they did all kind of things. Restting the network, changing the e-sim card, and some other things and it didn’t work. I went and factory reset my phone and it did’t work. They contacted me with a Samsung technician and they had no idea what the problem could be. But he was like if you pay $600 and return your device we will give you the new one that came out today😂… So here is my issue with them. I am losing signal in places where I used to get good signal. For example at my brother’s house. I used to get good signal there until a month ago. And the funny thing is that we have 10 lines in our account, on new years eve, we where at my brother’s house and all the lines on my account had signal there except me. So i dont think it is a problem with thye tmobile tower other wise all the other lines on my account would lose signal too. So if tmobile or Samsung don’t know what to do, what are we supposed to do? Is the only solution to get a new phone?

It’s a problem with carrier aggregation within the network and the software. There is a HUGE problem with NR registration and tmo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have no iasues with carrier aggregation or with NR registration on my s23 Ultra or my OnePlus 8T+ 5G.  If it was network related, it would affect all devices on the T-Mobile network, which it clearly doesn't solely based on the lack of complaints about the issue.  

it’s planned obsolesce 100% this happened the day i unlocked my paid off s22ultra. it was via a forced android security patch update. then a month later my wife’s s22ultra had the EXACT SAME THING happen the EXACT SAME DAY she unlocked her device after paying it off. a force tmobile update came through and ultimately bricked the second s22ultra in 2 months. this is a scam no doubt.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

it’s planned obsolesce 100% this happened the day i unlocked my paid off s22ultra. it was via a forced android security patch update. then a month later my wife’s s22ultra had the EXACT SAME THING happen the EXACT SAME DAY she unlocked her device after paying it off. a force tmobile update came through and ultimately bricked the second s22ultra in 2 months. this is a scam no doubt.

The updates come directly from Samsung and I would know.  I am in their official closed beta testing program.  SIM unlocking can't brick a device.  It doesn't touch the firmware of the device at all and is pn a different partition.

Badge

Soover thisNonsense