Question

Pixel 6 Pro - 256/512gb?

• 20 October 2021
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Will Tmo eventually stock the 256gb or 512gb of the black Pixel 6 Pro?  I see Verizon still has them up for sale but on Tmo only has 128gb version.  Not enough space for me, prefer 512gb, could maybe settle for 256gb.  Thanks.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

no one will really know until they announce it..you might opt to go direct to Google to snag one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Was hoping someone from tmo would chime in on the thread.  Unlocked version on Google sold out pretty quickly for both 256 and 512, at least you can join wait list now but who knows when they'll he back.  Kind of surprised Verizon still has them both but tmo only the 128gb.  😕

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile stocks what they think will sell.  That doesn't always fall in line with what every customer wants.  Personally, I would rather have too much storage than not enough as well.  Getting yourself on Google's wait list is probably your best bet unless you want to order one at full price from Verizon to use on T-Mobile's network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Was hoping someone from tmo would chime in on the thread.  Unlocked version on Google sold out pretty quickly for both 256 and 512, at least you can join wait list now but who knows when they'll he back.  Kind of surprised Verizon still has them both but tmo only the 128gb.  😕

the site here is primarily peer to peer with some TMO moderation to keep things in order only..they dont have account access plus unless its publicly announced somewhere they are unable to say.

I was able to pre-order an unlocked Stormy Black 256gb one from Best Buy if that helps. As of me writing this message it still shows available.

I've been wondering the same thing. If the 256 GB version was available, T-Mobile would have my money today. Having the extra storage space would make up for the lack of an SD card slot. 

Same. My wife and I would both not hesitate to order the 256gb version. I have 128+256 in my Note 9 currently. Without expansion I definitely would want 256gb. (Or maybe even 512) 

The promotion states "up to $900 off on the Pixel 6 Pro with a trade in" kind of implies that there is going to be (or was supposed to be) different versions. The 128gb version is 899 and the statement makes sense if they would offer more expensive versions.

Userlevel 2
Badge

To be fair to T-mo, the past few pixels haven’t exactly sold well.  Only in the most egregious cases does that kind of information make it out in public (see also: Amazon taking a $170m write off for unsold Fire Phones).  Usually, instead they just keep listing the thing for please-take-this-off-my-hands prices or the primary carriers unload a bunch of inventory to secondary-channel resellers.  

Supply Chain Management is less an art form like it was in 2019 these days and more  akin to a screaming death ritual.  T-Mobile had to make a bet on how much exposure they wanted to Google’s new thing that Google was saying “but this one is going to be really big, we promise!”  And the T-Mobile executive had to look at how sales were bifurcated among model options in the past.

Clearly the decision they made was when 2 main models each of which have 6 or 9 SKUs available, they were going to carry 3 SKUs each of the two models.  In actual fact, they probably gave up a small percentage of sales and upgrade locks for those of us who are power users enough to know we want more storage.

They also know at the end of the day that a relatively miniscule number of consumers are going to switch because of a Pixel.  Samsung new models and Apple new models are where they get the most leverage from all-out discounting and making sure every. possible. option. and. upgrade. is on offer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Same. My wife and I would both not hesitate to order the 256gb version. I have 128+256 in my Note 9 currently. Without expansion I definitely would want 256gb. (Or maybe even 512) 

The promotion states "up to $900 off on the Pixel 6 Pro with a trade in" kind of implies that there is going to be (or was supposed to be) different versions. The 128gb version is 899 and the statement makes sense if they would offer more expensive versions.

usually the trade in value saying “up to” depends on what you are trying to turn in trade in wise and in what kind of condition it’s in.

I believe "up to" refers to which device people are trading in, since it doesn't make sense to give a Galaxy s21 the same value as an S9.

Best buy is offering the 256GB Pixel 6 for $699, so I hope T-Mobile will come around. 

I reached out through the t-mo app chat functionality and was given the following on today, 10.26.21:

“Good question about the new Pixel phone! Yes, we are aware that right now, we only offer the 128GB model a the moment and actually, we are already working with Google to get some stock for the higher memory models! So while we can’t confirm that right now, we will definitely update the website (and the app) as soon as we get the higher memory models on stock and updated offers as well.”

So make whatever inferences you’d like with this info, but I too am interested in the 256GB version. I would’ve pulled the trigger on one straight from Google prior to them selling out, but T-mo’s trade in offers are way better… even when not electing to leave a grandfathered plan for Magenta Max.

Userlevel 2
Badge

usually the trade in value saying “up to” depends on what you are trying to turn in trade in wise and in what kind of condition it’s in.

I learned the other reason they are presenting it this way is because the way the credits will apply.  I was surprised to be asked for a down payment with perfect credit on a phone that will end up being free.

On promo offers more than $750, they have the customer cover the difference if the customer has been with T-Mobile less than 4 years.  So in cases like mine, a customer of 1 year and perfect credit, I pay some up front, and then the 900 in credits will apply over the time so for a period of time, I will have credits of a few dollars more than the phone equipment agreement (net effect if -$6 a month against my account) and then for a few months at the end, the full credit value will be applied without anything left on the notional equipment agreement (net effect -$37) for the last 5 or so months.

This is one of the reasons you see the difference in terminology for the offer.  Pixel 6 is within that $750 envelope.  Pixel 6 Pro is beyond it.

Depending on your credit and time with T-Mobile, you may still be surprised to be asked for $150 plus tax on a phone that should be “free” after credits.

I reached out through the t-mo app chat functionality and was given the following on today, 10.26.21:

“Good question about the new Pixel phone! Yes, we are aware that right now, we only offer the 128GB model a the moment and actually, we are already working with Google to get some stock for the higher memory models! So while we can’t confirm that right now, we will definitely update the website (and the app) as soon as we get the higher memory models on stock and updated offers as well.”

So make whatever inferences you’d like with this info, but I too am interested in the 256GB version. I would’ve pulled the trigger on one straight from Google prior to them selling out, but T-mo’s trade in offers are way better… even when not electing to leave a grandfathered plan for Magenta Max.

Thanks for bringing that information! That makes me feel better about things, although I feel like the shipping may not be quick due to current economic conditions. Hopefully they offer it in more than just black. 

Correct. Everybody’s not gonna get the $900 depending on not only what phone you have and the condition of the phone, but also whether or not you are currently on or intend to switch to Magenta Max or whatever it’s called. For example, if I wanna trade in a OP9Pro, which is in the $900 tier because it’s in perfect condition however, they’d cut that offer at least in half ($450) if I want to stay on my old grandfathered plan I’m currently on.

Yes that's obvious, but maybe I'm just nitpicky but $900 is $1 more than what the 128gb version cost at 899. Does that mean I get a dollar back? What I actually meant is that "up to 900" would make more sense if they also offered a version for 999 or 1099, which then you still have to pay 99 or 199 in cash no matter what. Otherwise they could have just said "Get it for free***" like they do with other promotions. (I.e..pixel 6 standard..obviously any of these credits depend on trade in conditions) Edit: Someone else pointed out that the higher tier phones require the 150 deposit, so very well the terminology could revolve around that issue. Point taken.

Maybe just wishful thinking haha. Crossing my fingers though. If the S22 Ultra rolls around before then, I'll probably go that route, having been with the Note line since the Note3. 

no one will really know until they announce it..you might opt to go direct to Google to snag one.

I was able to get on in my cart on the Google store, but shipping said mid-January.  To me, that’s not really being “available”

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was able to get on in my cart on the Google store, but shipping said mid-January.  To me, that’s not really being “available”

Get ready for disappointment, I am afraid, friend.

This is the case in cars.  In many kinds of computers.  In memory types.  There are a lot of commercially released things that are affected by the move from an open market to market controls set by China and from the downstream effects of smashing the supply chain during COVID.

Combined with rotation of consumer demand from services to goods, and it makes it all worse.

With China right now curbing the supply of Magnesium from high pollution refineries, expect aluminum shortages and magnesium midframe components to impact phone production early next year - adding yet another component to the nightmare supply chain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

seeing as how its even back ordered through Google that might answer why they are B/O through TMO as well.

I am heavily considering leaving TMobile for a carrier with better phone options. I can't make do with only 128gb, I usually keep around 30gb of just MUSIC. Not to mention photo/video, games and apps. If they don't give indication that they're getting higher storage options for Pixel and other flagships, me and wife are out

Following I want the 512 gb I too am thinking about changing providers even on Best buy you can get 512 GB with Verizon it's crazy

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I know my response is a little delayed, but I think it is important to know. Device options and availability are ever changing. A lot of times the memory variants that will be available are not publicly announced until we are able to start taking orders. Our website is usually the first thing to update with new device launch announcements that include the details about the memory variants and prices. That means that the best way to stay up to date with our inventory and availability is by shopping on T-Mobile.com: https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones