Solved

Pixel 8 Pro identifies as a Note 9 in my account

• 10 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

As the title suggests, my Pixel 8 Pro shows up as a Note 9 in my account, for both mine and my wife’s phone.  They were both bought unlocked directly from Google and then added to my account.  One was added during my initial onboarding and the other we just moved the sim card from the old phone over.  One is using the eSIM and the other is a physical SIM card.  Seems kinda odd that the system can’t correctly identify the phone. Both phones seem to work fine, outside of just being labeled wrong in the account, but the option to check network compatibility says it doesn’t support 5G, tho they connect to the network as 5G UC.

Is this a known bug, or do I need to contact support to correct it?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 10 February 2024, 23:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The only devices that will show up correctly in your account, are devices purchased directly from T-Mobile.  The device it shows has no impact in how your device connects and performs on the T-Mobile network.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My Pixel 8 now shows as a.BYOD Android now but when I activated it it showed as an iPhone 8.

Badge

The only devices that will show up correctly in your account, are devices purchased directly from T-Mobile.  The device it shows has no impact in how your device connects and performs on the T-Mobile network.  

That’s not a great excuse for why it can’t do a basic check of the imei to detect the model phone and reflect it correctly on the account.  I already stated that the phones work fine, so not looking for a “your phone should work fine” answer.  If they’re not showing the correct model just because it’s not a phone you purchase form them, and this is punishment for that, then that’s not great either.

I want to believe that this is a real bug, and they’re working on it, and not that they don’t care because I didn’t buy the phone from them.  It’s not a big thing for some, but it sure would be nice to see my phone show correctly on my account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That’s not a great excuse for why it can’t do a basic check of the imei to detect the model phone and reflect it correctly on the account.  I already stated that the phones work fine, so not looking for a “your phone should work fine” answer.  If they’re not showing the correct model just because it’s not a phone you purchase form them, and this is punishment for that, then that’s not great either.

I want to believe that this is a real bug, and they’re working on it, and not that they don’t care because I didn’t buy the phone from them.  It’s not a big thing for some, but it sure would be nice to see my phone show correctly on my account.

Sorry to say but it has always been this way with BYOD phones. My last 2 were Pixels BYOD and even the LG BYOD did the same.

Indeed. My Pixel 8 shows as an iPhone 11. Other phones show up wrong on my account as well. It would be nice if this were fixed or we could manually select the correct phone.