Solved

Text message phone numbers turning to email addresses on WIFI calling

• 4 December 2017
  • 18 replies

About 2 years ago, people's phone numbers began showing up as phone#@vtext.net, phone#@text.att.net, or phone#@tmomail.net, etc when I received SMS texts on WIFI calling on my Tmobile Samsung devices. The problem is that my text responses to these number-email combinations do not go through or end up garbled on the recipients end. I have called about this problem and Tmobile seems to have no idea how to fix this. And there appears to be no way to reverse these number-emails back to just phone numbers once this error has occurred. Even worse, more and more of my contacts have become these strange phone-email hybrids and I can no longer directly respond to texts with them. FOR EVERY TEXT RESPONSE I HAVE TO CREATE A NEW MESSAGE, CHOOSE THEIR PHONE NUMBER FROM MY CONTACTS AND SEND! It's absolutely ridiculous and frustrating. Fortunately WhatsApp and others exist but a phones BASIC SMS function should work without this kind of error! I know of no other person on any other carrier that has this problem. Please fix Tmobile!

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 10 December 2017, 03:18

View original

18 replies

Or does anyone have a fix for this?

Userlevel 5

Does the same error occur on other phones that you have on that line?  Have you reset the phone to factory or reset your contacts to the correct format? If this error only occurs on one phone I would think the phone to be at fault but if it occurs on every phone on that same phone number then perhaps there is an account issue with SMS.

Thanks for the reply. I have had 2 different Samsung phones now and 2 different Sim cards. The problem is solved briefly with a new phone and deleting the affected contacts. But within days it occurs again and I have found no way to revert or prevent the phone-email combo. I'm fairly certain it originates from WiFi calling\texting. It's odd that it only occurs with some and not all of my contacts. Thinking about it, none of my contacts older than 3 years or so have been affected..

Userlevel 5

I’m not sure really. I have never heard of WiFi calling changing send to info. Have you tried a different router?

A good thought but most of may day is spent at work in a large hospital where I rely on Wifi calling due to poor service. Maybe it's time to switch carriers? 😥 That'd be sad though cause I've been with Tmobile for almost 13 years..

Userlevel 5

You may need to speak with the IT department at that hospital.

Some images that show the problem..

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

This is a strange one and we wanna do everything we can to help you before you make a switch. Does this only happen on Wi-Fi at the hospital? Are you able to test the message on a personal Wi-Fi connect (i.e. at home) or another Wi-Fi connection in general to see if the same thing happens? If you have spoken with your IT, I'm curious to know what they have to say. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Userlevel 3

Hey, @aaronkameron!

I hope your Friday is going well so far. I wanted to swing by to see if you've had a chance to speak with your IT department at work yet. If you haven't, we definitely recommend that because what you're experiencing is not normal behavior. Lastly, please take a look at the questions MC asked so we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the follow-up. I spoke with my IT at work and they had no clue. My only solution is to replace my SIM card again, delete the contacts and avoid WIFI calling which, unfortunately, is not an option. So, for now, I have been using Whatsapp and facebook messenger instead of my basic SMS because of this ridiculous error. It appears I'm not the only one with this problem..  https://support.t-mobile.com/message/624377?et=watches.email.thread#624377  ..and sadly my problem persists unresolved. 😥

Userlevel 3

Wow, somehow I missed that thread. I'm glad you pointed it out, @aaronkameron! I'm going to reach out to see if I can have this looked into. The downside to this is that it's Saturday and we may not have any replies until the beginning of next week. I'm going to send you a private message to get a little more info. You can check your inbox here.

Amanda,

I don't know if there was ever a resolution to this thread since it is a year old. My phone is doing the same exact thing ..i recently switched from and LG to a Samsung and the issue has only gotten worse .

Please help

Thank You,

Owen

I am having this exact issue as well and its unfortunately with my manager that it is occuring on. This is extremely inconvenient when i have to respond to a 2 am support call for work and have to be on the line with others while i update my manager on issue .. which it is not allowing me to do.

I have been having this problem as well, ever since T-Mobile added Wi Fi calling 6 years ago. I have tried to address it several times with them and it has never been resolved. My problem stems from receiving text messages from work over the email gateway. This corrupts all the contacts I have from work and any future MMS texts messages from them come through as the T Mobile email address and not their contact in my address book.  I have tried everything to resolve this and nothing has worked.

The last thing I have noticed that could be causing the problem is this:

T-Mobile is the only carrier that uses the same email gateway for SMS messages and MMS messages. 

#timetoswitch. After being a customer since the beginning.

Badge

i’ll know all about messages being garbled when they’re sent and text boxes being full  of Nasty stuff when you go to messages and send them from your phone and they send them remotely hijacking your phone number that has happened to me I actually communicated with somebody last month on my email address while I was on my email address through my email address that was a hacker This saw before the iOS update  Beginning of October Facebook was down with all my cellular companies they hijacked Facebook they got in my phone and was a mess here’s the garbling a text when you send it

here is a little 

Oh OK that's funny my appointment is going to be but I can't get into the lights are going to have to go to partial cicada other means I mean I got 15 days today so I'm just not feeling very good and I don't think I institutional take me just for depression you know
I'm sorry that's not what I wrote
Here we go again to type it out in notes and copy and paste it

I’m having the same issue and I’m concerned that T-Mobile closed this and said solved when a number of people are having the same issue. It’s frustrating that IT on the phone is not able to help and stated they have never heard of this problem but there is a whole thread about it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

a whole thread with 9 different people posting about 17 times all together in just over 5 years. that isnt exactly a show stopper of an issue..

a few more posts from people and it yall would have had it bump over to page 2.

A simple google search will pull up other threads. Definitely seems like a common issue that’s ignored.