Question

Unlocked s21 Ultra showing as "Unknown Device" and not supporting 5G or Extended Range LTE on My Mobile account

Badge

I just bought an unlocked S21 Ultra directly from Samsung.  It works great, including the tmobile voicemail app and RCS through the Google messages app.  It says I’m connected to 5G on the phone, and I get 150+mbps download from home on speedtest.net

The problem is that the tmobile account website shows this:

The problems with this is:

1. Most important: I have free phone repair insurance through my Uber Visa Signature credit card.  In the past, when I filed a claim, they required a screenshot of the account to show that I have the device I’m filing a claim for on the tmobile account that I pay monthly through my credit card.  I would have issues proving that I have an S21 Ultra on my tmobile account if it says “unknown device:”
  2. I’m worried I’m not getting the best speeds or roaming experience if I were to take a road trip in a rural setting.  150mbps+ from home is good enough in the major city that I live in, and I’m sure it’ll be better if I get closer to the tmobile cell phone tower which is 3 blocks away.

How do I get this phone to show as “Samsung S21 Ultra” instead of “unknown device”?  I don’t see any option online to specify this.

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The worst part is, it takes 24-48 hours, mine is taking longer, to “get” the code to unlock. in this day and age of computers, how in the world can it take anything that long to happen?!?!
Just go into the computer and send the unlock!

T-Mobile devices don't work that way.  With Android, the Unlocking app needs to meet all of the conditions on the account for it to grant that unlock unless there is an override.  With Apple devices, that request is passed along to Apple, which just takes even longer.  Instead of a few days, expect a few weeks because Apple isn't quick about getting to unlock requests.

The worst part is, it takes 24-48 hours, mine is taking longer, to “get” the code to unlock. in this day and age of computers, how in the world can it take anything that long to happen?!?!

T-Mobile devices don't work that way.  With Android, the Unlocking app needs to meet all of the conditions on the account for it to grant that unlock unless there is an override.  With Apple devices, that request is passed along to Apple, which just takes even longer.  Instead of a few days, expect a few weeks because Apple isn't quick about getting to unlock requests.

I bought my phone direct from Samsung, it came unlocked and now Tmobile locked it and is blaming Samsung for not getting them a “code” to unlock it. Samsung laughed because they sent an unlocked phone, there is nothing they can do after the fact. Yet Tmobile continues to LIE

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I bought my phone direct from Samsung, it came unlocked and now Tmobile locked it and is blaming Samsung for not getting them a “code” to unlock it. Samsung laughed because they sent an unlocked phone, there is nothing they can do after the fact. Yet Tmobile continues to LIE

Let me tell you where you are wrong and why.  T-Mobile does not lock devices that are unlocked.  Samsung sells devices that come unlock but lock to the first SIM provider you put in it.  That will happen regardless of the carrier SIM you put in it.  That’s a Samsung policy and tactic!  Apple does the same and so do many other manufacturers.  If the device wasn’t sold by T-Mobile, the IMEI has to be given to T-Mobile Support to enter into the system.  Once that is done, you can make an unlock request, if you meet all of the SIM unlock requirements.  Yes, those requirements even apply to devices not sold by T-Mobile!  SIM unlocks can take 3 to 5 business days and sometimes longer, depending on the situation.  Check the T-Mobile Unlock app to see if your permanent SIM unlock request is approved to see if it completes the unlock process.