Autopay Change is False Advertising

• 17 September 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

When I signed up for the service I got a discount for autopay if I provided direct bill to my credit card.  Now T-Mobile changed that.  The commercial says no surprises, no increases, no fine print, no yada, yada, yada. Well, surprise, surprise, surprise, the fine print allows them to change that to just a debit card or direct access to my bank account. Now my monthly bill is 10% more.  That’s false advertising.  That’s the definition of yada, yada, yada.  That’s wrong.  If they want to make a change, do it prospectively and grandfather everyone who was already covered.  I can’t believe that some lawyer hasn’t jumped on this for class action certification.  I would join that class in an instant. 

gramps28 8 months ago

Unfortunately it's your rate plan that doesn't change. Is your rate plan still the same? Autopay was a perk that all the 3 big carriers has altered.

I voiced my concern about this many months ago and kept paying with a credit card because it covers our phones for insurance. I ended up getting rid of my wearable plan to save the $10 to offset the change in auto-pay.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately it's your rate plan that doesn't change. Is your rate plan still the same? Autopay was a perk that all the 3 big carriers has altered.

I voiced my concern about this many months ago and kept paying with a credit card because it covers our phones for insurance. I ended up getting rid of my wearable plan to save the $10 to offset the change in auto-pay.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for your comment Gramps but that’s not the way the ad was worded. It said I would pay $50 per month, no increases, as long as I used autopay.  Autopay at the time I signed up included direct charge to a credit card.  This is a change.  It’s an increase in what I pay. It’s a surprise.  It’s false advertising (or deceptive at a minimum) and it’s Yada, Yada, Yada.  It’s a class action waiting to happen and a class which I’m waiting to join. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately autopays terms have changed and we're all pretty much, to quote The Big Bang Theory “What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis?”

Userlevel 2
Badge

Gramps - appreciate you commenting.  But it’s important for others who are reading these comments to know that you are a paid shill for T-Mobile.  7K plus responses by you.  Even a cursory review shows that you back the company in every post you make or try to diffuse dissention against the company. I’m sure the company pays you well as a contractor (probably a former employee, now retired) to keep posting.  That doesn’t change the fact that T-Mobile was misleading in its ad campaign, the ad constitutes false advertising, and this situation is ripe for a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile.  Again, nationwide, at $5/month times the number of subscribers impacted by this -- the damages are huge and cha ching goes the cash register.  Class action settlement in the millions would be a reasonable guess. I’m waiting for a lawyer to pick this up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Not a paid shill because you don't agree with me. I have plenty if posts not agreeing with Mobile policy.

https://community.t-mobile.com/accounts-services-4/auto-pay-with-credit-cards-ends-49144

I'm  also licensed paralegal that understands contracts. Did my intern work for the states attorney. I know the difference between a rate plan and an optional auto-pay agreement and can read and understand Tmobile’s terms and conditions. It's surprising what people sign off on because they want that shiny free phone.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

BTW, I've never worked in the telecom industry but feel free to make stuff up to make you feel better about your point of view.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Also if you look into the price lock it talks about rate plans not including auto-pay.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/price-lock

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah, sure, right.  You’re not going out of your way to carry T-Mobile’s water.  Shill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yeah, sure, right.  You’re not going out of your way to carry T-Mobile’s water.  Shill. 

Also there's rules for use if the forum about disparaging other posters.

https://community.t-mobile.com/site/terms

BTW you omiited the best part if the Yada Yada. The lobster bisque soup.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Gramps - best if you don’t stray too far from the prepared talking points that T-Mobile Corporate Communications provided to you.  I’m sure when you have your weekly checkpoint meeting with the VP of Communications, she will remind you that your sole focus and the reason you are being paid is to ensure that class action claims are not filed against the company when then engage in deceptive trade practices and false advertising.  While you brush up on the mandate provided by your boss in T-Mobile Corporate, we’ll be looking for the class action lawsuit to be filed in Texas or Florida.  Remember - no increases and no surprises means just that.  Anything else is Yada, yada, yada, and legally actionable.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Again, not an employee. I think you're just mad that I'm questioning your weak point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there! The autopay discount changing has been a pretty big pain point. These changes came about to ensure that T-Mobile can continue to provide the best value in wireless. Like Gramps28 mentioned, the price plan that you pay for the get talk, text, and data did not change. The autopay discount is an optional benefit that can sit on top of your plan. Think of it like a cherry on top of your ice cream. It doesn’t change the flavor of the ice cream but add a little extra to the experience. Gramps28 shared a lot of great resources, so check them out if you want to get into the details of the different terms and changes.  

This community is a great place to come and ask questions, voice your concerns, and find answers (even if they may not be exactly what you are hoping for). We strive to make the community a safe space for everyone to engage. Name calling directly contradicts that goal. I am closing this conversation now to prevent any further negativity. There are plenty of conversations throughout the community on this topic, so feel free to respectfully respond on any of those. 

If you have any questions or concerns, you can also direct message me and I can do my best to address them. Thank you for being part of the T-Mobile Community!