Auto Pay with credit cards ends

• 17 February 2023
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile is ending Autopay with credit cards starting in May. This is a bad PR move l with all the data breached. Who would with a sound mind link their bank account to autopay?

https://tmo.report/2023/02/t-mobile-is-planning-to-end-autopay-discount-for-these-customers/

35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Gramps, I agree with you

TMobile openly lied to me.  We wre coaxed to switch from Sprint and the deal was no price increase and they’d make sure.  They did this with some crafty discounts, including an AutoPay discount,    5 x4 lines = $20.

We pay our bill with our VISA card that offers a credit card protection on it

So we either lose the abilty to use our VISA and our cell phone protection OR we pay more

We were lied to.

What company do we look at - where are peoiple movung to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Not Verizon, they took this away a while ago. Not sure about AT&T.

Userlevel 1

I will change to a different mobile service if this happens. I am not linking my debit or bank account to T-Mobile and without the auto-payment discount, it will not longer make sense to keep them. This is a terrible decision on their part. Prepare to lose customers

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I don’t even care for auto pay, I’m paying the $5.00 extra to not have it.  I would not link a bank account to any company either.  With a data hack, who knows what a bad actor could do with the banking details.  I’m new to t mobile and am trying to find out what the snail mail t mobile billing center zip code is to set up my banks bill pay, they want it even though the payment is sent electronically.  Better safe than sorry.  scott.

So Debit card is still ok?  That has fraud protection and can be easily cancelled/number changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I wouldn't pay online with a debit card since the debit is linked to your bank account.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

My BofA payment from my bill pay went through with no problem and I did receive a text from t mobile saying it was received and my account now shows a zero balance due.  If you don't want to link a card or do auto pay, use your banks bill pay service.  Those are 1 time payments that you send and no one can dip in each month.  

Userlevel 2

Been talking to online agent about this. They will not accept EFT payments from  bank account or debit card. You have to provide your bank account or debit card information on their website. Thinking that the $10 a month “discount” is not worth it so I will continue to use a credit card.

After all, a company that’s upset about paying credit card fees is the same company that’s apparently too cheap to invest in its security apparatus.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I just paid my bill with i think what’s considered to be a EFT.  From my bill pay on my BofA account.  It went through within an hour of my bank sending it.  I received a text shortly after from T Mobile confirming.  Maybe you got some not accurate info, possibly a language barrier with the support person?  Dunno, unless I’m not understanding what an EFT is.

Userlevel 2

Pretty sure I got accurate information.

According to the chat CSR, you can set up an EFT payment *from* your bank account but in order to continue receiving the T-Mo auto-pay “discount,” you MUST add your bank or debit card information to your account at T-Mobile. Otherwise, monthly EFT payment *from* the bank account going *to* T-Mo will not qualify for the auto-pay discount. I went over this point several times with the CSR. Bottom line is that it’s a money grab by T-Mo. I will be sticking with CC payments.

If I saw some evidence that they were beefing up their security, I’d think about changing the auto-pay method but considering this recent report it doesn’t look like T-Mo is bothered enough yet to take such steps:

Three different cybercriminal groups claimed access to internal networks at communications giant T-Mobile in more than 100 separate incidents throughout 2022, new data suggests. In each case, the goal of the attackers was the same: Phish T-Mobile employees for access to internal company tools, and then convert that access into a cybercrime service that could be hired to divert any T-Mobile user’s text messages and phone calls to another device.

1. They are not ending autopay with credit cards.  They are requiring debit card or ACH info in order to receive the $5/line AutoPay discount.  If you dont mind paying $5 more per line, you can continue paying them whatever way you currently pay them.
  2. If the security issue bothers you, just open a second account somewhere that will give you a debit card at no charge - there are options out there, including Tmobile’s own MONEY service.  Personally, I just opened a free Fidelity Cash Management account, with no monthly minimums, no charges, and a free Debit card.  I’ll use it just for T-Mobile and keep my regular banking separate
  3. If none of the above makes you happy, you’re free to vote with your wallet and go someplace else.  Keep in mind that Verizon started this a few years ago, T-Mobile is following.. You can probably expect other companies inlcuding AT&T to start doing the same - companies are going to discontinue offering discounts for something that costs them more money, and unfortunately this trend is likely going to continue.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Okay understood to get a discount.  Yes, no discount for me,  but the one time payments initiated by me, once a month from my bank is worth the extra cost for me.  Good luck.  

Userlevel 2
  1. If the security issue bothers you, just open a second account somewhere that will give you a debit card at no charge - there are options out there, including Tmobile’s own MONEY service.  Personally, I just opened a free Fidelity Cash Management account, with no monthly minimums, no charges, and a free Debit card.  I’ll use it just for T-Mobile and keep my regular banking separate

Good suggestion. I will continue with CC auto-pay, however. 

I have also confirmed with T-Force, that you can not use your Debit Card as a Credit Card, so all credit card protections are out, most likely they will require your “Pin” to make the purchase.  I closed my T-Money account 2 years ago when they cut the perks for interest earned and increased the number of charges require(so t-mobile can get its interest from its money card and bank fees using it as a credit card, but they don’t want to pay it to others.) 

I will not be giving tmobile my bank account information nor my debit card pin number for an EFT.

I will most likely be going to google fi or possibly mint mobile and go back to prepay, I was prepay before I came to tmobile 7 years ago for the all in one plus promo, insider hookup, and kickback promotions, which I got screwed out of 2 years ago and ended up on a magenta military 2.0 plan. and Google Fi 10 lines simple unlimited is cheaper than 10 lines on Magenta Military(not max) with having to pay $40 more for losing the autopay discount. and google will always accept “google pay” for there service.

I have also confirmed with T-Force, that you can not use your Debit Card as a Credit Card, so all credit card protections are out, most likely they will require your “Pin” to make the purchase. 

Debit card PIN cannot be used for online or telephone purchases.. It can only be used for in-person transactions, and only entered by the cardholder on a device - not verbally communicated to a person.  Card processing networks know the difference between credit and debit cards..  Your bank has guidelines for what protections apply when using their debit card for anything (its not “all credit card protections are out”)

1. They are not ending autopay with credit cards.  They are requiring debit card or ACH info in order to receive the $5/line AutoPay discount.  If you dont mind paying $5 more per line, you can continue paying them whatever way you currently pay them.
  2. If the security issue bothers you, just open a second account somewhere that will give you a debit card at no charge - there are options out there, including Tmobile’s own MONEY service.  Personally, I just opened a free Fidelity Cash Management account, with no monthly minimums, no charges, and a free Debit card.  I’ll use it just for T-Mobile and keep my regular banking separate
  3. If none of the above makes you happy, you’re free to vote with your wallet and go someplace else.  Keep in mind that Verizon started this a few years ago, T-Mobile is following.. You can probably expect other companies inlcuding AT&T to start doing the same - companies are going to discontinue offering discounts for something that costs them more money, and unfortunately this trend is likely going to continue.

Rny71, thank you so much for the free Fidelity cash management information. That sounds like the best way to go!

Userlevel 5

Why not just have them send you a paper bill and then pay by check (or bank bill pay).  See how much extra that costs them.

Why not just have them send you a paper bill and then pay by check (or bank bill pay).  See how much extra that costs them.

Chaotic good, I like it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

because when your payment doesnt make it due to whatever reason (the usual snail mail isssues) it ends up being YOUR issue and not theirs. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Bro. You literally just detailed how you spent half a day to set something up so you can continue to get the same thing you used to get for free. It’s disgusting to be lied about my bill never going up. I used to love T-Mobile. This is so lame.

The way Customer Service explained this to me there is a “go around”.  I’m not positive the person knew the truth so anyone else - please chime in.

As long as you “set up” autopay to a bank account, you can make your payment via a credit card ahead of the auto pay date and you are ok.

Has anyone else gotten this reply?

I’ll do it if it saves me the discount.  Takes one minute to pay.

Mackey  

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

The way Customer Service explained this to me there is a “go around”.  I’m not positive the person knew the truth so anyone else - please chime in.

As long as you “set up” autopay to a bank account, you can make your payment via a credit card ahead of the auto pay date and you are ok.

Has anyone else gotten this reply?

I’ll do it if it saves me the discount.  Takes one minute to pay.

Not sure if it will work until tried, but even if that credit card method gives you the discount, you are still exposing your banking info to T-Mobile known for several data breaches.

I do hope this thread gets monitored by TMobile employees.

TMobile: If your company hadn’t allowed an egregious number of data breaches in such a short period of time, I wouldn’t be as concerned.

But your responsibility to your customers is to protect the information that we willingly gave you, instead of using it as a ransom (at a rate increase of $5/month per line).

You have failed in that responsibility. Therefore, you should allow credit card payments until you have a proven track record of not allowing data breaches - at least for the same amount of time that companies tend to offer credit-data monitoring for people impacted by said breaches: 2 years.

Userlevel 1

I agree CaptCrunchWhistle2600. I am very willing to forgo any rewards associated with paying with a credit card, but giving my debit card to them is worrisome given their consecutive breach history. You know how many bad actors, internal & external, are ecstatic right now knowing millions of direct links to checking accounts will be available. Their is a huge degree of protection with credit cards versus debit/checking accounts, which funds become unrecoverable. My daughter got hit for for a couple grand in one day because she used her card at target. Bad actors had a blank card….no name, no text nothing...that was a clone from a data breach for a in store purchase. So now we have to start searching for a new carrier, which is a pain. Regretfully,  the lack of autopay discount has put T-mobile rates close to other carriers now. Sad to see really, but I just cant trust them with a direct link to our checking account. Like some above mentioned, we have to vote with our wallet.

Same thing here. We just got the notice via Text from TMO that they would charge extra now if continued with CC. We have a 2 line deal MAG55+ and where part of that massive data breach not too long ago. The only thing/appology from TMO was not the extra apple tv service or else ( as we where not eligible for those with our contract), but a link to teach me how to protect my Data…haha adding insult to injury … I know how to do that ( just made the mistake to trust TMO with it) . it seems they are in need of a crash course concerning Customer data. As for what now… not sure, rather pay the extra $10 for both lines and perhaps move to Mint Mobile , which i am sure has its drawsbacks too.