Question

computer not recognizing TMobile internet for wifi connection

• 17 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have an HP laptop and it doesn't recognize my Tmobile internet connection. I've tried several fixes, even manually connecting. Every other device; smart tv's, cell phones, tablets, etc have no trouble connecting. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Log into the gateway using the apo.  Separate the WiFi into 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  This should make it easier for any devices having trouble connection to connect.  Is your WiFi turned on for the PC?  Is the WiFi adapter driver up to date?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Some devices cannot see or connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your laptop to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

This adding a 2.4Ghz network did not fix my 2009 MacBook Pro not being able to connect because it's prompted to ask for a username in the sign in window. It doesn't help with my Lenovo not even seeing the network. TV, phones, tablet, wife's work laptop, guest's laptops work. T-Mobile has made zero progress in figuring out the problem, and not even communicating with me about the open tickets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If that laptop is too old to support security newer than WEP.  That could be the issue.  If it supports at least WPA, make sure the encryption is set to AES.  Not Both and not TKIP 

I have a 2015 Lenovo Y50-70 and it sees and works fine with Xfinity’s Internet.  Just received my TM Internet Gateway and it works great with my phones, tablets, TV and my Windows 11 Lenovo Flex-5 laptop, BUT, not with my Windows 10 Lenovo Y50-70. It doesn’t even see the default TM 5.0 WiFI band nor the TM 2.4 band but sees both Xfinity Wifi bands. I changed the TM 2.4 band to WPA/WPA2, didn’t work.  I hooked up the laptop to the TM Lan1 port with an ethernet cable, didn’t work. I did a network Reset on the laptop, didn’t work. Hidden Network button on both bands are turned off.  Not sure what else to try.  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, outside of buying a new laptop.🙄 I’m wanting to cancel Xfinity but I need to keep that laptop online as well. So I’ll log back into Xfinity’s internet for now. Thanks ahead of time!!