Solved

Gateway changing towers/bands

• 30 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

My dad got T-Mobile Home Internet this Thursday & brought home the Sagemcom Fast 5688W Gateway.

The speeds are great between 20-110mbps download/ 1-3mbps upload but then drops to less than 1mbps for most of the day or doesn't work at all.I noticed when that happens my gateway is connected to B12 with no 5G stats in the app.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I just want a consistent internet connection.

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 30 June 2024, 04:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Those are some interesting stats.  Serive is pretty poor from your location.  N71 is an odd one  never seen sinr of 40.

Id recommend looking for a.better location in your home for a signal, and  possibly exchange for Arcadyan g4ar/se which can use an external  antenna

Badge

I did what you said & I have been getting great speeds for the past few hours. I'm hoping it stays like this but if not I'll look into exchanging the gateway for the model you recommended.

Thank you for the help formercanuck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Here's a typical clean use,

Badge

Been having issues even after moving the gateway around and keeping it at the same place where I had that 240mbps test. Mainly during the day.

When it shows 5G stats I get decent speeds.

The gateway will not retrieve data for 5G when this is happening only B12 like before. All these tests are from the same spot. The slow tests are from today, the other 2 from yesterday when the 5G was working.

I'm going to get a replacement gateway tomorrow to see if this solves the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The  most important factors for performance from these devices:

1.  Signal (high SINR value +15 (+20 recommended), lower RSRP (-60 to -90dBm.  worse than -110dBm is poor)
  2. Site traffic itself (i.e. are you connected to a site that has most of the traffic in town, or a site that’s literally “all yours” for the using ?
  3. T-Mobile’s deprioritization - this will tank your speed, especially where site traffic is a question.

The “white” Arcadyan g4 AR/SE gateway has its antenna towards the back of the device.

If you know where your tower is … face the back of the gateway towards the tower.  This is according to their own docs.

Badge

Unfortunately they didn't have the white gateway model at the store but they gave me a different Sagemcom Fast 5688W. 

Since I set it up I've been getting consistent speeds for 4 hours now, fingers crossed it stays this way. 

The upload speed isn't the greatest but it's enough for my needs. Thank you for all the advice formercanuck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’ll have to watch on the stats for n71/b66 (probably as good as your area will give).  If b66 is too weak, it’ll drop to B12 or B71.  Since B12 / B71 are part of the same low band (typically need midband B2 / B66 ) for 5G NSA (B41+ B66 or B71 + B2)  you’ll be stuck with LTE only as B71 base + n71 (or B12 base + n71) doesn’t work.  B66 was _really_ weak on your posting.