Question

internet speeds

• 25 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We're about .3 miles from our serving site at lat/long 38.921950 -91.067779 and our speeds drop drastically after 6 PM sometimes losing connectivity when people get home. Charter has started providing service in the area and we're considering taking it, we'd rather stay with TMO due to the lower price and being retired. I called the help desk to tell them fiber was available right in front of the site but it turned into ticket and going through all the steps of troubleshooting when all I was trying to do was along some info. Hopefully this will get to someone who can see about converting this site from a legacy Sprint microwave site to fiber.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Looks like a big tower.  What kind of speed do you get during non-peak hours? 

Badge

Generally 50 to 100 down and around 20 to 30 up but during peak it's less than 5 down and 10ish up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Interesting… is that with 5g UC , 5g or lte?  I know my local site is microwave backhaul,  but to a spot that has fiber, and I get over 700.  It's possible that TMobile has a rural mesh network setup with many aggregating  to one fiber trunk.  I've heard of issues like this in rural areas, sadly