Question

is there some sort of way to request an area for 2G to NOT shut down?

• 16 September 2023
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Is there some sort of way to request an area for 2G to NOT shut down?

I know T-Mobile is shutting down 2G on april 2 2024, but I work with old phones a lot and sometimes my area with LTE/5G goes to no service when it gets overloaded, while 2G stays strong since it’s not overloaded. I was wondering if there was a thing to request an area to keep 2G alive, just like how they have 3G alive in very few places still. I was wondering if my city or county or some sort of thing near me could keep 2G, and/or other peoples areas as well. I know someone who only gets signal with 2G and no other carrier can get signal, not even T-Mobile LTE or 5G. 
also why is 2G going away in the first place? I can’t find any info online and to me it doesn’t make sense since other places keep it up for 10+ more years

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I know T-Mobile is shutting down 2G on april 2 2024, but I work with old phones a lot and sometimes my area with LTE/5G goes to no service when it gets overloaded, while 2G stays strong since it’s not overloaded. I was wondering if there was a thing to request an area to keep 2G alive, just like how they have 3G alive in very few places still. I was wondering if my city or county or some sort of thing near me could keep 2G, and/or other peoples areas as well. I know someone who only gets signal with 2G and no other carrier can get signal, not even T-Mobile LTE or 5G. 
also why is 2G going away in the first place? I can’t find any info online and to me it doesn’t make sense since other places keep it up for 10+ more years

Sorry, 3G isn’t coming back and 2G is going away.

Userlevel 4
Badge

That’s not what I said, I know that. What I said was 3G still exists in a few places and if it’s possible for SOME areas to keep 2G on for longer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That’s not what I said, I know that. What I said was 3G still exists in a few places and if it’s possible for SOME areas to keep 2G on for longer. 

Where 3G still exists, is in places that still require a lot of upgrading.  Those will eventually disappear as well.  2G will still remain in some places as a part of the FirstNet service but that's all.  

Userlevel 4
Badge

Where 3G still exists, is in places that still require a lot of upgrading.  Those will eventually disappear as well.  2G will still remain in some places as a part of the FirstNet service but that's all.  

Firstnet? So it will be for emergency networks? Also, which places will stay up for a bit if you know? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Firstnet? So it will be for emergency networks? Also, which places will stay up for a bit if you know? 

FirstNet is a network for first responder communications specifically.  T-Mobile does not publish which places will still have 2G and 3G coverage remaining or a schedule as to when those areas will receive network upgrades.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I know of at least once place on AT&T/Firstnet that still has 3G, and at least one location on T-Mobile that is 2G GPRS only.  

Unless I’m mistaken, 2G on T-Mobile will go dark in April 2024.  AT&T was supposed to have killed on 3G, but I suspect there are a ‘few’ exceptions, and they are running FirstNet.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I know of at least once place on AT&T/Firstnet that still has 3G, and at least one location on T-Mobile that is 2G GPRS only.  

Unless I’m mistaken, 2G on T-Mobile will go dark in April 2024.  AT&T was supposed to have killed on 3G, but I suspect there are a ‘few’ exceptions, and they are running FirstNet.

Yes, I am also aware that there are very few GPRS-only towers, from voicestream/omnipoint. It is interesting that these legacy towers from decades are ago still up with early versions of 2G but it’s very sad that they are being killed in April 2024. There are still “exceptions” for T-Mobile 3G as well that haven’t shut down yet (in fact, I lost 3G just a few months ago), but instead of most of them being random, I was hoping one of those areas that made “exceptions” is mine, since I am fond of 2G.

Although chances are slim because in my state there are 2 or 3 other smaller 2G and 3G networks up from local carriers and they want to end roaming agreements as it costs money for T-Mobile.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sorry Fellas, T Mobile isn’t anticipating to keep their older 2G GSM network forever because they want to focus on 5G and 4G. It’s time to let go of 2G phones and your old phones because they’re not compatible on a 5G/4G network. T Mobile maintaining their own 2G network is expensive. T Mobile maintaining 5G Ultra Capacity, 4G LTE, Voice Over LTE, and Extended Range LTE are cheaper. T Mobile wants to save money.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2G#:~:text=Past%202G%20networks,-Country&text=2G%20availability%20cannot%20be%20guaranteed,be%20shut%20down%20in%202024.

Likewise CTIA (trade group for wireless)

https://www.ctia.org/what-to-know-about-the-sunsetting-of-2g-3g-networks-in-preparation-for-5g

https://blog.telegeography.com/2g-and-3g-shutdowns-continue

https://flickswitch.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/23000020408-2g-3g-switch-off-in-south-africa

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sorry Fellas, T Mobile isn’t anticipating to keep their older 2G GSM network forever because they want to focus on 5G and 4G. It’s time to let go of 2G phones and your old phones because they’re not compatible on a 5G/4G network. T Mobile maintaining their own 2G network is expensive. T Mobile maintaining 5G Ultra Capacity, 4G LTE, Voice Over LTE, and Extended Range LTE are cheaper. T Mobile wants to save money.

Yes. I know that already and like I said, I was wondering if it was possible to have an area for it to stay. 
Also it doesn’t make sense because for them maintaining 2G is only like $500-1000 a month for them, which is how other countries can keep it. Plus they can easily afford that since their newest plan is $250 a month. What also doesn’t make sense is it’s already crammed with LTE, making it a 2G-LTE network which are easier to maintain. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Yes. I know that already and like I said, I was wondering if it was possible to have an area for it to stay. 
Also it doesn’t make sense because for them maintaining 2G is only like $500-1000 a month for them, which is how other countries can keep it. Plus they can easily afford that since their newest plan is $250 a month. What also doesn’t make sense is it’s already crammed with LTE, making it a 2G-LTE network which are easier to maintain. 

2G phones or older phones are not compatible on a 5G and 4G network. 5G and 4G phones or newer phones are compatible on the T Mobile network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

There’s no good reason for T-Mobile to keep 2G alive.  It does cost money (power, maintenance, support, circuit switched services) and for what benefit .. to them ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

There’s no good reason for T-Mobile to keep 2G alive.  It does cost money (power, maintenance, support, circuit switched services) and for what benefit .. to them ?

Sorry, 2G is going away on April 2, 2024. 5G is better than 2G. 2G is too slow. 5G is faster.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/goodbye-3g-hello-5g

https://www.t-mobile.com/our-story/network-and-innovation

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/plan-ahead-phase-out-3g-cellular-networks-and-service

https://www.fcc.gov/sites/default/files/plan_ahead_for_phase_out_of_3g_cellular_networks_and_service.pdf

https://feeds.aarp.org/home-family/personal-technology/info-2021/phone-companies-ending-3g-service.html?_amp=true

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry, 2G is going away on April 2, 2024. 5G is better than 2G. 2G is too slow. 5G is faster.

I’m not sure why you’re giving that statement.  I’ll assume that you have misread my statements.  I’ve been stating the obvious for quite some time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I’m not sure why you’re giving that statement.  I’ll assume that you have misread my statements.  I’ve been stating the obvious for quite some time.

for the same reason they keep liking their own posts lol

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

It’s time for T Mobile customers or everyone to let go out of 2G phones or older phones because they’re not compatible on a 5G and 4G network. It’s time for T Mobile customers or everyone to upgrade from 2G phones or older phones to 5G and 4G phones or newer phones because they’re compatible on the T Mobile network. Sorry Fellas, T Mobile is shutting down, retiring, decommissioning, or sunsetting their own 2G network or T Mobile’s older 2G GSM network on April 2, 2024 because T Mobile wants to focus on 5G and 4G.