Question

IMEI unlock

• 15 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I purchased a brand-new iPhone 14 in November 2022, which was imported from Paraguay. I'm its first and only user. Everything worked fine until the end of September when I suddenly couldn't receive calls. My local carrier confirmed that my plan is in good standing and there aren't any issues like overdue payments. After some research, I found out that my iPhone's IMEI has been blocked. According to the Brazilian telecommunications agency, the block was initiated by T-MOBILE, see the image below:

I've already reached out to an authorized Apple representative (reference number 102118795890) to investigate, but they couldn't find any reason for the block. They advised me to get in touch with T-MOBILE directly. However, I've had difficulties connecting with you via chat.

Considering this iPhone has always been in my possession and I've never had any dealings with T-MOBILE, how can I request an IMEI unblock?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Where did you purchase the device from?  With South American carriers now sharing block lists for devices with North American carriers and vice versa to help cut down on stolen devices shipped outside of their region.  You can reach out to T-Mobile on Facebook or Twitter via DM but don't expect the device to be removed from the block list.

Badge

Exactly, I bought the smartphone in South America, but not through any carrier. The phone was purchased brand-new, sealed in the box. Indeed, Apple's customer service confirmed that there are no issues with it. I've been using the phone for almost a year, and the local carrier I signed up with said they can't unlock the IMEI since they weren't the ones who initiated the block. I can use Wi-Fi, connect to iCloud without any problems, and set up the SIM card without errors, but I can't access the network. Every service I've spoken to agrees: it seems a mistake has been made. I'll try your suggestion. Thank you for the quick response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Shipments of these devices go missing every year and end up being sold in other markets.  It makes me wonder if this is what has happened.  Can you return the device to where you bought it for an exchange?

Badge

The possibility of it being "lost" is something that cannot be ruled out. In any case, I first contacted the seller and both, he and Apple's customer service, advised me to exhaust all attempts with the party responsible for the block. If unsuccessful, I should reach out to them again, considering it's still under warranty.