T-Mobile's worst customer service - cannot unlock a device after numerous calls!

• 24 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

For a communications company, T-Mobile cannot communicate with its customers so I am certainly leaving T-Mobile after this mess is resolved. With that being said, here is my issue:

I called customer service six times already over a span of over a month to unlock a device on my account, the device meets all requirements for unlocking, fully paid off, the account is in good standing and it has been active on the account for over 40 days.

The first three calls were relatively easy, the reps indicated that the process takes 24-48 hours and that I would have my phone unlocked afterwards.

Evidently the phone was never unlocked so on my forth call I ask to escalate to a supervisor who gives me their “personal guarantee” that they would escalate the issue and get it “manually” unlocked. to that point i still didn’t know what the issue was and T-Mobile did not communicate if there was one so I assumed that their previous reps just didn’t do the process correctly.

Again, the phone wasn’t unlocked, so on my fifth and sixth calls I spoke to two different supervisors who indicated that they have an issue in their system showing that my phone is ineligible for unlocking and that they give their “personal guarantee” to followup and would call me back - well, they never did and so their personal guarantee didn’t mean anything I guess.

On my last call with a supervisor I asked if there was a different way or route that i can use to escalate the issue, since we are not getting anywhere, she said there wasn’t. I visited a t-mobile store and they said they don’t handle such issues but customer service does.

so now, i am the proud owner of a phone that cannot be unlocked thanks to t-mobile’s system issue and i am certainly cancelling my business with t-mobile and moving to another carrier but as a customer i have the right to have my phone unlocked so i can use it with the new carrier, which apparently is impossible due to t-mobile staff ineptitude and their system’s malfunctioning which are both not my problem as a customer.

Any advice as to how can i escalate this further so i can leave this company?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Out of curiosity what type of phone and did you purchase it directly from Tmobile or a reseller?

The last 2 phones I bought from Tmobile automatically unlocked after 40 days after meeting the requirements.

Badge

Out of curiosity what type of phone and did you purchase it directly from Tmobile or a reseller?

The last 2 phones I bought from Tmobile automatically unlocked after 40 days after meeting the requirements.

It’s an iPhone 13 Pro Max, I bought it from a reseller but I called T-Mobile before I bought it and again they offered their “personal guarantee” that the phone was paid off on their system and didn’t have an issue, all I needed was to wait 40 days. 

their personal guarantees are a joke!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Contact Tmobile support using messenger on Tmobile’s Facebook page. With resellers the imei# doesn't always gets entered into Tmobile’s data base. This is a fairly common error and the support team on Facebook as encountered this issue multiple times.

They will get the imei entered into the data base and get the unlock done.

Badge

Contact Tmobile support using messenger on Tmobile’s Facebook page. With resellers the imei# doesn't always gets entered into Tmobile’s data base. This is a fairly common error and the support team on Facebook as encountered this issue multiple times.

They will get the imei entered into the data base and get the unlock done.

thank you so much for the advice! over a month of fruitless calls and numerous hours wasted when a simple 10 minute conversation over facebook messenger resolved it. i can now leave T-Mobile for good :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

calling in=tier 1 support

FB/Twitter=tier 2 support