Question

they cant find my phone in the system so they claim they cant unlock my phone. what can i do, who can actually help for carrier unlocking my iphone

• 10 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I know that someone here can lead me the right direction but please do read this entire description of my frustrating situation before you copy and paste tmobiles carrier unlock policies.

I've already been to multiple locations and called customer service everyday and everybody just kinda breadcrumbs me and doesn't really help (my guess cause I'm not actually buying anything and I wholehearted believe that)

Anyways, i bought an iPhone 10 on a post-paid plan in 2018 and stopped paying for the phone halfway thru the 2 year contract and I never paid so they sold the balance to a third party collections agency (ERC). Yes I still have the original receipt and yes I paid the collections agency. And yes I'm 100% absolutely positive I bought the phone from tmobile and not some MVNO like "visible".

But this is where it gets tricky, I paid the debt to ERC and have the letter from ERC sayimg that i paid it, it also has a reference number on that but the 1 store that ive been to says thats not proof of payment, its just saying that it was paid (exactly what the dude told me, sounds heinously dumb right?). But before that, my account has been closed for years so we can't see info from just my old account number, apparently they can't find the iPhone in the system using the IMEI number, its like me and my phone were completely removed from the systems. now some business that I'm not involved with uses the number. So it's useless trying to use customer service on the phone because they can't pull up info due to the amount of time since it was closed, and their not very helpful anyways cause I've called like 20 times and only like 2 people were helpful and they were from the activation department so they couldn't really help me anyways. What can I do? I don't wanna pay a few hundred bucks to start service on this phone just to unlock it in like 2 weeks, and the "f"olks at the tmobile store say come back with proof of debt payment when i literally have proof with reference number....what do I do...call debt and collections department next?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did you buy the phone from a Best Buy or other 3rd party reseller like Walmart or Target? Those phones may not have their imei# in Tmobile’s system.

Your best option is to use messenger on one of Tmobile’s social media accounts like Facebook or X for help. They also are a higher tier of support.

One of the requirements is that you're account is in good status for the unlock code which maybe why they can't unlock it. Just a thought.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Did you buy the phone from a Best Buy or other 3rd party reseller like Walmart or Target? Those phones may not have their imei# in Tmobile’s system.

Your best option is to use messenger on one of Tmobile’s social media accounts like Facebook or X for help. They also are a higher tier of support.

One of the requirements is that you're account is in good status for the unlock code which maybe why they can't unlock it. Just a thought.

Also try taking your payoff paperwork as proof of ownership to a Apple store and see if they can unlock your phone for you

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Also try taking your payoff paperwork as proof of ownership to a Apple store and see if they can unlock your phone for you

Apple will say that they don't unlock phones and you need to contact your carrier for an unlock code.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

From my understanding.  Any device balance sent to collections invalidates the device from ever being able to be SIM unlocked.  T-Mobile loses money on selling off debts to collection agencies.