Solved

Unable to unlock Iphone 13 purchased from BB, contacted TMobile 4 Times!

Badge

Hello,

I’m running out of options to unlock my iPhone that I paid in full through Best Buy. I have contacted Tmobile 4 times and its still locked. They said it’s fully unlocked but its still showing Sim locked. I don’t know what else to do because every time its the same process that they will submit the request and wait for approval and then nothing happens. 

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 1 March 2023, 21:38

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

did you meet all the requirements needed in order for them to request the unlock from Apple?

Apple iPhone

• If you have a locked iPhone that's eligibleContact us so we can submit the unlock.
  • Once it shows unlocked in your T-Mobile account, either insert your new SIM card or activate your eSIM.

Unlock eligibility requirements

We unlock mobile devices that meet the following eligibility criteria free of charge.

Device eligibility is determined as follows:

• The device must be sold by T-Mobile.
  • The device must not be reported as lost, stolen or blocked.
  • The account associated with the device must be in good standing.
  • The device must also satisfy all the Postpaid or Prepaid unlocking requirements outlined below.

Unlock eligibility for mobile devices on Postpaid plans

• The device must have been active on the T‑Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.
  • If the device was financed or leased through T‑Mobile then all payments must be satisfied and the device must be paid in full.
  • If the device is associated with a canceled account, then the account balance must be zero.
  • T‑Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Unlock eligibility for mobile devices on Prepaid plans

• At least  365 days  must have passed since the device was activated on the T Mobile network.
  • If the device was activated less than 365 days ago, then the   Prepaid account associated with the device must have had more than $100 in refills during that period for each line active on the account.  In   addition, more than 14 days must have passed since the device was purchased.
  • No more than 2 mobile device unlocks have been complete per line of service in the last 12 months.
  • T‑Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.
Badge

I have met all the requirements and the rep checked that but every requests (4 times!) phone still locked. I don’t know what else to do. It’s extremely frustrating!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can try contacting them through one of their social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter and see if they can get the ball rolling a bit quicker. you start with tier 2 support instead of the call in tier 1 support..

how long ago was your first call to TMO to get this unlocked? Apple devices TMO must request Apple to unlock...which takes a bit of time compared to Android phones..

Badge

I also need to unlock my iPhone!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you were already given instructions on how in your thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Trying to get a different answer.

I am having the same problem with unlocking waiting now 7 days for unlocking my apple phone.

Every time they say it will be solved within 48 hours it never does. Apple has garanteed us the phone can only be unlocked by the carrier through which we bought ht ephone. Not only do they say they will call us back every time they never do. It has been a horrible experience full of promises and never solved. Definitely stopping my contract  for the family plan. If you flat out lie and dont do it, what else can I do ? Rewarding you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and all the requirements have been met that were mentioned above?

Hi Fireguy . Yes they were all met . But then we were able to follow up on your advice about twitter and it took about 5 seconds. What a bad management to get so many complaints because of ( tier 1) customer support. But at least there is a fireguy

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

as much as i hate to say it theres a reason i recommend to everyone to contact TMO through either Facebook or Twitter lol.

usually they’ll run into issues if the device was purchased elsewhere and not from TMO or if it was a insurance/warranty replacement since all of its new device info wont be in the TMO system.

Have you considered getting an Android phone?  They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.

Hi Art the innocence of children and being a rookie is reflected in the thought that children are not involved by the manufacturing of android phones.

children are not involved by the manufacturing of android phones.

Where did you get that idea?  Most android phones are made in the same bunch of Chinese sweatshops that Apple uses.  Hon Hai Precision Industries (aka Foxconn) does manufacturing for most of the major brands.

If you can find an unredacted copy of “Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory” he covers in detail the horrible working conditions under which iPhones are manufactured.

That was what I was saying Art. You yourself wrote:

“Have you considered getting an Android phone?  They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.”

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

If you can find an unredacted copy of “Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory” he covers in detail the horrible working conditions under which iPhones are manufactured.

Fabricated lies, according to the original publisher.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Where did you get that idea?  Most android phones are made in the same bunch of Chinese sweatshops that Apple uses.  Hon Hai Precision Industries (aka Foxconn) does manufacturing for most of the major brands.

because you asked him in a post just two in front of this one

Have you considered getting an Android phone?  They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.

you recommended going with a different manufacturer due to sweatshops that Apple supposedly use but turned right back around to say those same places also handle the majority of Android..

“Have you considered getting an Android phone?

I agree.  You should get an android phone.

Fabricated lies, according to the original publisher

"Fabricated" us a stretch.  More like, forcibly redacted after substantial legal threats from Apple.   (Fact check: true)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

“Have you considered getting an Android phone?

youre answering yourself. you are the one that told him to consider an Android phone..you just answered yourself

Have you considered getting an Android phone? <<<<~~~~~    They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.

you are the one that told him to consider an Android phone.

Yes, I did tell him to consider an Android phone.  T-Mobile is pretty awesome but the people on these forums seem to be a bit thick.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you are the one that told him to consider an Android phone.

Yes, I did tell him to consider an Android phone.  T-Mobile is pretty awesome but the people on these forums seem to be a bit thick.

oh im in full agreement with this one...

Tl:Dr: Give t-mobile  2 business days, check on the status of it and if there is no update file an FCC complaint here:https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223

meanwhile,  be kind to the customer service reps. They are not t-mobile or samsung or google etc and they don’t control company policy. The situation we’re all in isn’t their fault. They know we’re frustrated because they hear about it all day every day. I was in remote customer service for years and I would bend over backwards for nice reasonable people and make sure to follow up on their issues as soon as I could. Not so much for frustrated angry people.

The long version:

CTIA policy is that T-Mobile has 2 business days to either unlock the device, request that the OEM unlock the device, explain why the device is ineligible to unlock or explain why the OEM needs more time to process the unlock request.

This is under section 12 here: https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/consumer-code 

and on the FCC FAQ here: https://www.fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

I have had issues with carriers in the past and when you keep getting the issue kicked down the road “we’ll tell you in X business days”  contacting the FCC is by far the fastest way to get a resolution. Sometimes you get in a situation where a rep can’t do anything directly, and don’t have a break in call volume a week later to follow up on the response from the OEM. Going through the FCC just ensures that it gets in front of someone that can make sure t-mobile and the OEM coordinate and do what needs to be done.

I’m going through this now. Apple replaced my phone so in my account under unlock status it just says “unknown” and I’ve been paying the phone off for 30 months while living in an area with no t-mobile service.

I contacted T-mobile about it and they said it would 5-7 business days for them to get a response from Apple regarding the unlock. There’s clearly a disconnect between what T-mobile agreed to with CTIA and what it’s actually able to do. They said on the chat they were making the request at that moment and didn’t say it was ineligible so 2 days seems pretty reasonable for the remaining possibilities: either Apple unlocks it or Apple says it needs more time. I’ll check with T-Mobile in 2 business days and if neither of those responses are on the ticket I know it’s an issue that I need the  FCC to help with.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Tl:Dr: Give t-mobile  2 business days, check on the status of it and if there is no update file an FCC complaint here:https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223

meanwhile,  be kind to the customer service reps. They are not t-mobile or samsung or google etc and they don’t control company policy. The situation we’re all in isn’t their fault. They know we’re frustrated because they hear about it all day every day. I was in remote customer service for years and I would bend over backwards for nice reasonable people and make sure to follow up on their issues as soon as I could. Not so much for frustrated angry people.

The long version:

CTIA policy is that T-Mobile has 2 business days to either unlock the device, request that the OEM unlock the device, explain why the device is ineligible to unlock or explain why the OEM needs more time to process the unlock request.

This is under section 12 here: https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/consumer-code 

and on the FCC FAQ here: https://www.fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

I have had issues with carriers in the past and when you keep getting the issue kicked down the road “we’ll tell you in X business days”  contacting the FCC is by far the fastest way to get a resolution. Sometimes you get in a situation where a rep can’t do anything directly, and don’t have a break in call volume a week later to follow up on the response from the OEM. Going through the FCC just ensures that it gets in front of someone that can make sure t-mobile and the OEM coordinate and do what needs to be done.

I’m going through this now. Apple replaced my phone so in my account under unlock status it just says “unknown” and I’ve been paying the phone off for 30 months while living in an area with no t-mobile service.

I contacted T-mobile about it and they said it would 5-7 business days for them to get a response from Apple regarding the unlock. There’s clearly a disconnect between what T-mobile agreed to with CTIA and what it’s actually able to do. They said on the chat they were making the request at that moment and didn’t say it was ineligible so 2 days seems pretty reasonable for the remaining possibilities: either Apple unlocks it or Apple says it needs more time. I’ll check with T-Mobile in 2 business days and if neither of those responses are on the ticket I know it’s an issue that I need the  FCC to help with.

Good Luck…  FCC will not blame T-Mobile for the problem.  This has been beaten with a dead horse since Apple made the Reseller Flex Policy or Replacement devices policies.  It’s up to Apple to send the IMEI they sell using 3rd party sellers or device replacements.  Carriers due to security and legal reasons will not put an IMEI in their system for unlock unless it comes from official channels.  Since you bought it from BestBuy T-Mobile doesn’t have the IMEI in their system.  You need to have your receipt contact T-Mobile Help on twitter or Facebook and they can through to the proper channels to validate the device isn’t stolen and in fact locked to T-Mobile via Reseller Flex and they’ll input the IMEI into the system then request unlock to where Apple will unlock the device.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Tor the records, apple says unlocking the phone falls squarely on T-mobile. Apple doesn’t unlock phones. This is from my conversations with t-mobile and applecare conf calls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tor the records, apple says unlocking the phone falls squarely on T-mobile. Apple doesn’t unlock phones. This is from my conversations with t-mobile and applecare conf calls.

Tmobile still has to pull the unlock from Apple. Apple controls everything on their platform.