Solved

Unable to unlock Iphone 13 purchased from BB, contacted TMobile 4 Times!

Badge

Hello,

I’m running out of options to unlock my iPhone that I paid in full through Best Buy. I have contacted Tmobile 4 times and its still locked. They said it’s fully unlocked but its still showing Sim locked. I don’t know what else to do because every time its the same process that they will submit the request and wait for approval and then nothing happens. 

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 1 March 2023, 21:38

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

was it purchased from TMO? if not then the phones correct info is not in their system. contact them again preferably through Facebook or Twiter and have them double check to make sure all the phones info is correct..if it is not have them correct it to the right info..this is also something that binds up unlocking them.

@fireguy_6364 

Criteria is met on my end; Phone (iPhone 13 Pro Max) fully paid, etc. T-Mobile  has me going in circles. Ive reset my phone, pulled the SIM card out(did not work). I’ve talked to supervisor at T-mobile and they expressed that they will solve the problem and expect a call back from them within 24-48hrs. Didn’t get a phone call back as promised. Also, they alway say that they’ll escalate the request. Today 26SEP23, I have reached T-Mobile through Messenger. Here is what they said… 

“You're welcome! Thank you again for your time and patience! It is genuinely appreciated! I've sent that email to escalate the request to unlock your device IMEI. I will follow up with you on 10/1/23! Thank you for being the best part of T-Mobile! Talk to you then! ^Lucia Andrade.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

This is ridiculous. I have been trying to unlock my iPhone for the 5th time. I’ve made several calls to T-Mobile to resolve this issue. My last call I have requested a ticket number for my request of getting my device unlocked. I had purchased my iPhone originally through Apple. 
I am literally ready to dump T-Mobile. 

so what is it that theyre saying is holding it up? its met all the criteria needed in order to unlock it? purchased elsewhere means zip..you still must meet the criteria. pre paid or post paid?

This is ridiculous. I have been trying to unlock my iPhone for the 5th time. I’ve made several calls to T-Mobile to resolve this issue. My last call I have requested a ticket number for my request of getting my device unlocked. I had purchased my iPhone originally through Apple. 
I am literally ready to dump T-Mobile. 

Badge

T-mobile reluctant to unlock my phones, I submitted several requests and talked to several employees including two supervisors 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tor the records, apple says unlocking the phone falls squarely on T-mobile. Apple doesn’t unlock phones. This is from my conversations with t-mobile and applecare conf calls.

Tmobile still has to pull the unlock from Apple. Apple controls everything on their platform.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Tor the records, apple says unlocking the phone falls squarely on T-mobile. Apple doesn’t unlock phones. This is from my conversations with t-mobile and applecare conf calls.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Tl:Dr: Give t-mobile  2 business days, check on the status of it and if there is no update file an FCC complaint here:https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223

meanwhile,  be kind to the customer service reps. They are not t-mobile or samsung or google etc and they don’t control company policy. The situation we’re all in isn’t their fault. They know we’re frustrated because they hear about it all day every day. I was in remote customer service for years and I would bend over backwards for nice reasonable people and make sure to follow up on their issues as soon as I could. Not so much for frustrated angry people.

The long version:

CTIA policy is that T-Mobile has 2 business days to either unlock the device, request that the OEM unlock the device, explain why the device is ineligible to unlock or explain why the OEM needs more time to process the unlock request.

This is under section 12 here: https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/consumer-code 

and on the FCC FAQ here: https://www.fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

I have had issues with carriers in the past and when you keep getting the issue kicked down the road “we’ll tell you in X business days”  contacting the FCC is by far the fastest way to get a resolution. Sometimes you get in a situation where a rep can’t do anything directly, and don’t have a break in call volume a week later to follow up on the response from the OEM. Going through the FCC just ensures that it gets in front of someone that can make sure t-mobile and the OEM coordinate and do what needs to be done.

I’m going through this now. Apple replaced my phone so in my account under unlock status it just says “unknown” and I’ve been paying the phone off for 30 months while living in an area with no t-mobile service.

I contacted T-mobile about it and they said it would 5-7 business days for them to get a response from Apple regarding the unlock. There’s clearly a disconnect between what T-mobile agreed to with CTIA and what it’s actually able to do. They said on the chat they were making the request at that moment and didn’t say it was ineligible so 2 days seems pretty reasonable for the remaining possibilities: either Apple unlocks it or Apple says it needs more time. I’ll check with T-Mobile in 2 business days and if neither of those responses are on the ticket I know it’s an issue that I need the  FCC to help with.

Good Luck…  FCC will not blame T-Mobile for the problem.  This has been beaten with a dead horse since Apple made the Reseller Flex Policy or Replacement devices policies.  It’s up to Apple to send the IMEI they sell using 3rd party sellers or device replacements.  Carriers due to security and legal reasons will not put an IMEI in their system for unlock unless it comes from official channels.  Since you bought it from BestBuy T-Mobile doesn’t have the IMEI in their system.  You need to have your receipt contact T-Mobile Help on twitter or Facebook and they can through to the proper channels to validate the device isn’t stolen and in fact locked to T-Mobile via Reseller Flex and they’ll input the IMEI into the system then request unlock to where Apple will unlock the device.

Tl:Dr: Give t-mobile  2 business days, check on the status of it and if there is no update file an FCC complaint here:https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223

meanwhile,  be kind to the customer service reps. They are not t-mobile or samsung or google etc and they don’t control company policy. The situation we’re all in isn’t their fault. They know we’re frustrated because they hear about it all day every day. I was in remote customer service for years and I would bend over backwards for nice reasonable people and make sure to follow up on their issues as soon as I could. Not so much for frustrated angry people.

The long version:

CTIA policy is that T-Mobile has 2 business days to either unlock the device, request that the OEM unlock the device, explain why the device is ineligible to unlock or explain why the OEM needs more time to process the unlock request.

This is under section 12 here: https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/consumer-code 

and on the FCC FAQ here: https://www.fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

I have had issues with carriers in the past and when you keep getting the issue kicked down the road “we’ll tell you in X business days”  contacting the FCC is by far the fastest way to get a resolution. Sometimes you get in a situation where a rep can’t do anything directly, and don’t have a break in call volume a week later to follow up on the response from the OEM. Going through the FCC just ensures that it gets in front of someone that can make sure t-mobile and the OEM coordinate and do what needs to be done.

I’m going through this now. Apple replaced my phone so in my account under unlock status it just says “unknown” and I’ve been paying the phone off for 30 months while living in an area with no t-mobile service.

I contacted T-mobile about it and they said it would 5-7 business days for them to get a response from Apple regarding the unlock. There’s clearly a disconnect between what T-mobile agreed to with CTIA and what it’s actually able to do. They said on the chat they were making the request at that moment and didn’t say it was ineligible so 2 days seems pretty reasonable for the remaining possibilities: either Apple unlocks it or Apple says it needs more time. I’ll check with T-Mobile in 2 business days and if neither of those responses are on the ticket I know it’s an issue that I need the  FCC to help with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I agree.  You should get an android phone.

you are the one that told him to consider an Android phone.

Yes, I did tell him to consider an Android phone.  T-Mobile is pretty awesome but the people on these forums seem to be a bit thick.

oh im in full agreement with this one...

you are the one that told him to consider an Android phone.

Yes, I did tell him to consider an Android phone.  T-Mobile is pretty awesome but the people on these forums seem to be a bit thick.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

“Have you considered getting an Android phone?

youre answering yourself. you are the one that told him to consider an Android phone..you just answered yourself

Have you considered getting an Android phone? <<<<~~~~~    They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.

Fabricated lies, according to the original publisher

"Fabricated" us a stretch.  More like, forcibly redacted after substantial legal threats from Apple.   (Fact check: true)

“Have you considered getting an Android phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

children are not involved by the manufacturing of android phones.

Where did you get that idea?  Most android phones are made in the same bunch of Chinese sweatshops that Apple uses.  Hon Hai Precision Industries (aka Foxconn) does manufacturing for most of the major brands.

If you can find an unredacted copy of “Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory” he covers in detail the horrible working conditions under which iPhones are manufactured.

because you asked him in a post just two in front of this one

Have you considered getting an Android phone?  They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.

you recommended going with a different manufacturer due to sweatshops that Apple supposedly use but turned right back around to say those same places also handle the majority of Android..

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

If you can find an unredacted copy of “Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory” he covers in detail the horrible working conditions under which iPhones are manufactured.

Fabricated lies, according to the original publisher.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory

That was what I was saying Art. You yourself wrote:

“Have you considered getting an Android phone?  They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.”

Where did you get that idea?  Most android phones are made in the same bunch of Chinese sweatshops that Apple uses.  Hon Hai Precision Industries (aka Foxconn) does manufacturing for most of the major brands.

Hi Art the innocence of children and being a rookie is reflected in the thought that children are not involved by the manufacturing of android phones.

Have you considered getting an Android phone?  They cost less and are not manufactured by children in chinese sweatshops.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

as much as i hate to say it theres a reason i recommend to everyone to contact TMO through either Facebook or Twitter lol.

usually they’ll run into issues if the device was purchased elsewhere and not from TMO or if it was a insurance/warranty replacement since all of its new device info wont be in the TMO system.

Hi Fireguy . Yes they were all met . But then we were able to follow up on your advice about twitter and it took about 5 seconds. What a bad management to get so many complaints because of ( tier 1) customer support. But at least there is a fireguy

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and all the requirements have been met that were mentioned above?

I am having the same problem with unlocking waiting now 7 days for unlocking my apple phone.

Every time they say it will be solved within 48 hours it never does. Apple has garanteed us the phone can only be unlocked by the carrier through which we bought ht ephone. Not only do they say they will call us back every time they never do. It has been a horrible experience full of promises and never solved. Definitely stopping my contract  for the family plan. If you flat out lie and dont do it, what else can I do ? Rewarding you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Trying to get a different answer.