Solved

5G Internet Showing Incorrect Location

• 12 August 2023
  • 30 replies

Badge

Recently installed 5G home internet and it won’t give me the correct location. Google Maps has no idea where I’m at but more importantly my local channels on FuboTV are not showing up anymore. How do I set the location on my 5G Gateway?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 12 August 2023, 15:32

View original

30 replies

So...I am in Branson Missouri, my 5G antenna is line of sight 1.5 miles away, huge dropout during tourists seasons, but...acceptable and cheap at 35.00 p/mo.  however, I am located in Denver , imagine that, and what a pain that is. 800 miles away from here, and everyone has 50 to 100 etc.  Tales to TMO no answer, why is it that no one understands what we are talking about on this forum?  Century link ( twisted pair) has limited band width, sudden link/optimum are still basic

How can Elon Musk help the Ukraine fight a war with his system, and I cant watch cartoons/

Badge

We recently switched from Verizon Wireless to T-Mobile looking to take advantage of the great TM cell plans and low-cost 5G internet. Thankfully I didn’t cancel our current ISP (Wow! Internet) because the TM Gateway was a total headache for us and I’ve just canceled that service. 

The first issue we noticed is what’s been discussed here: the location issues. We use HULU (Live) and it kept giving us the “It looks like you’re not at home” message when we opened the app on our AppleTV. After an hourlong call with HULU I find out it’s likely due to TM using a dynamic IP address, rather than a static one. The person at HULU said she would reset our location change limit (which is 4 location changes per year) because they are aware of the issue. I’m sure we could continue to call them to get it reset again but who the heck wants to keep having to do that regularly?

I spoke to TM tech Dept and they told me there’s no way to set the IP to static with the Gateway router. They suggested getting a third-party router, switch or Smart extender that would allow us to set a static IP address for our devices to work off of. I asked if having a second router would slow down the speed - he said it wouldn’t - if anything it would extend the range. He couldn’t recommend a specific device or brand so I tried calling Best Buy (really the only option I know for this kind of question) but they were of no use -- the “Geek Squad” chat told me to call BB customer service, who then told me I should call Geek Squad, who transferred me back to CS again! Each time I’d have to explain the mouthful of a question. This went on for 40 minutes! 5-6 transfers until they finally “accidentally” disconnected my call. So, then we went to the brick & mortar Best Buy -- they were just as bad. It took them over 20 minutes to get someone to even acknowledge us, even after requesting assistance twice. Anyway, when we finally got someone to help us, he told us the TM Gateway is basically a “mobile hotspot” (which I’m sure is great if you’re on the road in an RV), and the idea of using the second router or switch didn’t make sense. So, I guess that’s that. 

The second issue is the quality of the internet. I had no issues while on my computer but my son, who’s a gamer, said his game was “laggy and unplayable” -- he was very frustrated and eventually went back to the old router via ethernet.

I was really hoping the TM internet would work out for us but, until they find a workaround for the IP location issues, we will have to use another ISP.  Bummer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Not defending TMHI, but I had COX Cable for almost 20 years. Started using HULU Live a year ago. 4 Times HULU gave me that message of location change. It finally wouldn’t allow me to reset location and had to CHAT Hulu to reset. Chat agent confirmed home address and zip and changed it and said that should stay. So yeah it can happen with Cable Internet also. Now I’m on TMHI and this will probably happen sooner or later. I’ll just CHAT Hulu if it gets stuck.

So when I am using my 5G Samsung on T-Mobile I get accurate locations. When using the 5G T-Mobile ISP the location is not accurate. I see that the 5G modem is just a stripped down mobile phone. Why is the location different. Is it because the phone connects with a local server at the tower? and the 5G ISP service is going thru a microwave connection?

We are having this issue on the regular now with fubo and location not being where we are and not being able to get the local news. Doesn’t seem there is a resolution so when I went on the hunt for other options, looks like I am going to try out slingtv because they have an option to allow for a physical antenna on my house to obtain my local stations and they load straight to the slingtv app. This may not be very helpful for rural locations, but there is a way to find the local channels dish locations and get a distance. 

Has anyone else tried this and have positive/negative remarks?