Question

Can't use Vanguard 401k's website with T-Mobile Internet

• 3 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I can sign into Vanguard’s 401k website, but navigating around will log me out with the message “You have been logged out”.  If I connect to a Verizon hotspot form an iPad, I have zero problems.  It’s easily reproducible, just sign in, and navigate to activity history, select a report, or update savings rate and you’ll be logged out.  Not new, this has been happening ever since getting T-Mobile Internet, but I was just able to verify it always fails with T-Mobile Internet and never fails on a Verizon connection.

I’m using a home mesh network with an Ethernet connection to the T-Mobile Internet modem (I don’t use the T-Mobile Internet WiFi at all for coverage reasons).

2 replies

When I first started using T-Mobile home internet my public IPv4 address would only change after rebooting the 5G gateway. Then about a month ago the public IPv4 address started changing frequently while using the internet. This caused problems at a couple of financial institutions. Like you, I used a different ISP for my financial stuff as a work around. However, after the last couple of reboots my 5G gateway has been allocated a public IPv4 address that is stable, and all is good again at the financial websites.

Maybe you could use a site like www.whatismyip.com to check your public IPv4 address before and after Vanguard to see if something similar is happening.

Badge

My public IP address does change, but not mid-session in Vanguard. There's never a problem on the main dashboard with Vanguard, it's only when trying to get into any other area of the dashboard. It seems to do a auth check and fails due to something T-Mobile's network is doing differently than say Verizon.